Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glocked or Bulged Brass

benos

• 2 years later...

Cases are far more resilient than we normally think. Case in point is this range pick-up 9mm case that I found, which must have been fired in a 40 S&W chamber. (Wasn't mine - I promise!)

OTOH, I would NOT want to reload this case! It has to be weakened beyond the point where it could be resized and reused... 

51754019849__1A74B551-0EF9-4B2C-BD27-336

51754021566__64A8F1CC-57E0-4F8A-ACF3-9C5

51754025885__D41F0F06-D35F-4327-A317-558

Edited by Ken6PPC

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I reload any clean brass and run it thru the chamber checker.  I get 9mm, 40 and 45 “failures” which they do not drop right in.  I toss them in a “Glocked” box and shoot them in practice.  They usually go bang without incident.  Rarely one will not chamber.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Austings said:

How does the under size die fix the bulge? It’s just a regular die that sized the brass slightly smaller, is it not?

But the EGW Udie is also milled off on bottom to size lower as well as tighter

• 1 month later...

I just started using the Redding G-Rx on my .40 S&W, and it is a lot of work to go through a lot of brass, one piece at a time. The Case-Pro 100 looks sweet, but it is just too pricey for my blood.

I have been using the EGW u-die for a while now, and while it seems to work well, I still get about about 10-15 cases out of 1,000 that won't pass the gauge test, so I have now added the G-Rx process to the mix.

Since adding the G-Rx die however, I am finding the EGW U-Die is more difficult to use, when I expected just the opposite. This is especially true on the upstroke (XL650) where the case is coming out of the die. Sometimes it is a real effort to extract the case from the U-Die. I have started adding a touch of Imperial Sizing Wax to about every 20th case or so to make it easier. I may go back to a standard sizing die now that I am using the G-Rx.

More testing is needed to see what will work most reliably.

• 1 month later...

So as an update to my previous post, I have been using both the Redding G-Rx and the EGW U-die for my .40 brass, and have had basically zero issues with the finished cartridges.

However, the u-die can be tough to use, the cases can really stick in the die, and it makes it difficult to use as I mentioned (upstroke, etc.). Lubing seems to work a bit, but still it is a pain.

So I decided to replace the u-die with a standard sizing die, and that seems to work very well (I am still using the Redding G-Rx setup). The cases don't stick, and I also seem to get  100% cartridge passing the hundo case gauge.

But... I hate running every case through the G-Rx. I processed about 1,500 cases yesterday through the G-Rx, and it took forever, was boring as heck, and my poor elbow is squawking at me this morning.

It seems so unproductive. In the time I  took to process 1,500 cases, I could have probably made at least 1,000 full cartridges on the XL650.

There has got to be a better way!!! The U-Die by itself did not really seem to eliminate the problem, and I needed to use the G-Rx to get the results I needed, and in fact, just using the G-Rx alone seemed to solve the issue for me.

Frustrated, and I have a sore elbow. Any suggestions???

51 minutes ago, icestud said:

Casepro 100 with Dillon casefeeder, I roll size all my 9mm brass works Great 

I wish, I just can't justify the extra $1,000 right now.

I might go back and try the u-die by itself again and see what the case gauge failure rate is. If I lose a few every 1,000, that is worth the price to pay to not have to use the G-Rx setup.

For match ammo, I will probably run them through the G-Rx however...

• 2 weeks later...

Redding makes a dual carbide sizing/decapping die that is great for getting rid of glocked brass. Cost $100 but worth every penny. I've used it for the past 2.5 years and all my ammo passes the case gauge.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not think you need to do anything special with 9mm Glock brass.

I run range pickup 9mm thru a standard Lee sizing/depriming die and finish with a Lee Factory Crimp Die on my Dillon 650.

No problems at all shooting thru my CZ Shadow.

Edited by BMaus

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Neither the G-Rx or the Bulge Buster will work on a progressive.  They are designed to be installed on an single-stage so that a pusher rod that goes completely through the die can be used.  This rod pushes the piece of brass completely though the die, getting 100% of the case exposed to resizing.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 10/18/2021 at 4:42 AM, Braxton1 said:

Neither the G-Rx or the Bulge Buster will work on a progressive.  They are designed to be installed on an single-stage so that a pusher rod that goes completely through the die can be used.  This rod pushes the piece of brass completely though the die, getting 100% of the case exposed to resizing.

I'm using a Lee APP to speed up bulge busting. FL size on the APP first, then bulge bust afterwards. Process goes much faster.