Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Mover

Flexmoney

Is there an established rate that the "Mover" in Bianchi Cup should move?  So many feet per second?

Do you aim at the leading edge of the X-ring on the closest distance?  The 10-ring on the middle distance?

How does bullet velocity factor in?

The mover is traveling 10 ft a second IIRC.

The very best way to determine the lead you need with your load is to fire a few shots aimed at the center of the target as it travels one way. When you're sure you have some good shots on it go check the target and see where the hits are. How far the group is from the center will tell you how much lead you need at that distance. Sounds complicated but very simple, just take your time and make good shots even if you can just get one per pass until you have enough for a group. Repeat for each distance. It's a good idea to check both ways too, sometimes you don't swing the same way going in the opposite direction.

If you're consistant in your swing, the group you make going left to right will be your aiming point when shooting right to left.

kyle,

Michael Plaxco gives the folllowing formula for calculating lead if you don't have the Pact.

Distance to target in feet, divided by bullet velocity in f/s multiplied by speed of target in f/s multiplied by 12 (converting feet to inches)

"For example: a target at 10yds moving 10f/s and a 1000f/s bullet would be calculated as 30/1000x10=0.03x12=3.6" of lead"

from Shooting From Within by Michael Plaxco

hope that helps,

P.D.

The only advice I can offer is make sure that you keep the sights on the target at each set of targets. This applies for a dot as well, but is imperative for iron sights. If you have to go to a lighter projectile and up the velocity, thats the price.

I shot stock for ages ( switched to open Mar2000 ) and the worst thing on mover was using really accurate loads for practical and finding that you had to aim 2" or 3" in front of the leading edge of the target for the mover, on the last set.

• 3 months later...

To determine how much you have to lead a moving target, use the following formula:

(Distance to target in FEET divided by Bullet speed in FPS) x speed of target in inches/second = lead amount in inches

Example:

115 Super at 1100 fps

25 yard line (75 feet)

Bianchi Mover at 10 ft/sec = 120 inch/sec

(75 divided by 1100) x 120 = 8.18 inches of lead

Damn.  We only have one local club that shoot Bianchi (that I know of).  Looks like they have bumped the Bianchi match for other things for the next two months (so, pretty much...the rest of the year).

Too bad...Looks like this is THE place to get Cup info.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 11:58 am on Aug. 17, 2002)

I just got this message.  I thinkit is valid and timely...and am gonna copy ant paste it...

lex,

A word of caution about leads on the mover. A trap I fell into (until somebody gave me a tip) was trying to be too precise with my sight picture.

Now, I was using an old style Bianchi gun - S&W 586, Tasco dot, .38 HPWC at 860 fps.

When I tried to be precise the little micro processor in my head would go something like this... "No, no, not yet, there it is, SHOOT NOW!!". Then there would be this huge yank on the trigger and the results were pretty ugly.

A High Master turned me on to "area aiming" around the lead point. As long as the dot was in the general area +/- an inch or so I could continue the trigger roll.

So I started holding "around" the edge of the 10 ring, the edge of the 8 ring, and the edge of the target (for 20 & 25 yards).

Pretty soon I was shooting 474 - 480 on a regular basis.

The X count was never that high though. Which is why more of the big dogs went to autos for Bianchi. Faster bullet, "mover" dots for center hold, and super light triggers which allow more specific aiming without the yanks.

But the old way still works. Last year I shot a mover for the 1st time in about 3 years, with my Super race gun. First run was a 476. I got a lot of enjoyment out of that.

In fact, those skills still come in handy. Last week I shot an IPSC match with my new 610 revolver. One string was 6 evenly spaced targets at about 15 yards, one shot each.

When I swung to the 2nd target I swung the gun, stopped the gun, rolled the trigger. As I swung to the 3rd target, something clicked.

I saw the mover. I just kept swinging the gun and rolling the trigger for 4 more shots. All A hits. Kinda fun.

Another of my old Action Pistol pals was on the squad with me. As I walked away he said "Old habits are hard to break, aren't they?" We both had a big laugh.