Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All Volunteer Sport?

Sarge

The club I run all members $16, non-members $22, newbs free first match. We have a big prize table at the end of the year and everyone that helps with setup gets an extra chance every time they help with setup... works real good to motivate shooters to help out.

The main club I shoot at gives out "coupons" for those of us that help with set up. Originally they were for $10 off, but now they are "shoot for free"... We generally have 5-8 people who set up fairly complicated stages on Saturday, for a Sunday match. We never spend less than 5 hours, but several times we have spent 8 hours+ setting up for the match. (check my signiture for a link to videos of the stages we set up and shoot monthly)

For me, it isn't really about saving $20, it is more just about the recognition of having helped out. It makes me feel more a part of "the team"... I hope that makes sense... It is "my match". While I still RO and help with clean up/tear down at any/every match I go to, they are not "my match"...

We are a volunteer sport, but I have watched far too many people "volunteer" to have fun, without helping with set up, or tear down.... How many shooters have you seen, or who you know, that have participated in the sport for years, but will not be bothered to attend an RO class, RO local events, help out at all at matches?

• 4 months later...

Regular Shooter- $20

RO- $15

Setup- $15

Setup and RO- $10

MD and Stats- Free (not really, time is money)

This is how we do it at our club and I think it is fair. Considering all the time the Stats and MD commit to each match I think that they should shoot for free at larger clubs. We average 50-60 shooters during the winter and 75-85 shooters during the summer so the Stats and MD is no joke even for a local Lvl 1 match during the summer. Plus our Stats guy is the primary guy for stage design to and that is a chore in and of itself.

Match Director for the month he's (no she's yet but we're working on it) putting on matches.

BOD and State Match Director (if it's our turn to host) shoot free for the year.

But we only charge $5.00 a match so for the paying guys it's not that big a deal.

• 9 months later...

My Club reduces the match fee by $5.00 for those who RO or help set up the day prior.

We do the same but limit the setup discount to club members.

$20 - Non-member fee

$15 - Non-member who volunteers to RO his squad

$15 - Member fee

$10 - Member fee who volunteeers to RO his squad

$10 - Member fee who helped during the 5 to 8 hours that it takes to build a 7-8 stage match

If you don't have some type of incentive, the same guys end up doing all the work and eventually will get burned out. Been there. Done that. Stopped shooting USPSA for 5 years because of it.