Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slug selection starting point?

serevince

From reading here it looks like these are the three popular slug choices?

Ranger reduced recoil rifled

Fiochi 7/8 ounce Aero

B&P 1oz rifled

Does that look correct? Is there any order of preference? I will go with whatever shoots best in my gun, but if you had to pick a starting point?

Any other honorable mentions?

Thank you

Vince

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I shoot Federal Truball Low Recoil LEB127LRS which are nice for select ammo stages because the hulls are blue. Problem is my source just dried up, but they are available with some searching. The Remington Managed Recoil shot to the right about half an IPSC target at 35 yds from my 1100CM and the Federals hit the center, more or less. Fiocchi hits the center of the target, but the loads are light and cycling would be iffy on a cold day.

Note to self: work on the gun to cycle light loads better.

Well I've been trying to find a single source that offers the most selection to save shipping, but it's proven to be a challenge.

I was able to find both of the Fiocchi, and a Federal low recoil. Not the LE, but PB127LRS at CTD. They also have the Rem, but it ships from a different warehouse so it doubles shipping, ouch.

Vince

I have seen Remington at retail stores, not sure where you are, you might browse some.

PB127LRS is the same as the LE stuff, but different color hull. Shoots same POI for me (I have both).

I just realized Able Ammo has all Fiocchi, Remington, and Federal. Not sure about price and shipping.

Lee

I shoot a Rem 1100. Open.

I started with Federal Reduced Recoil and they were fine. Cycled fine and grouped acceptable. I tried some of the Winchester Ranger LE and they ran as well but were better grouping ; fewer fliers. I picked up some B&P and they grouped a little better than the Winchester but with no fliers.

Where are you located ? Perhaps someone close to you has some you can try.

I updated my profile to show my location in case anyone local has a stockpile of the B&P they would be willing to share. I would be willing to compensate of course. :cheers: I did not see on the B&P site where I could just order 10 or so to try. I have 10ea of Federal, Fiocchi 7/8 and 1oz on the way. I'd really like to try the B&P, since they seem to offer the best value. Seems like a .10 saving per. Not a huge deal, since there aren't very many mulit-gun opportunities around here, especially this year. :(

Thanks

Vince

Start with Remington Managed Recoil and Wolf. They are available just about every where and are less expensive than some of the others. Only if your not happy with them would I suggest that you try something more exotic that you may have to mail order.

As you test the groups, remember a change in choke may change point of impact and group size and different guns shoot different slugs differently. I use Wolf for my FN and Remington for my Benelli.

Start with Remington Managed Recoil and Wolf. They are available just about every where and are less expensive than some of the others. Only if your not happy with them would I suggest that you try something more exotic that you may have to mail order.

As you test the groups, remember a change in choke may change point of impact and group size and different guns shoot different slugs differently. I use Wolf for my FN and Remington for my Benelli.

My local search has turned up zero low/managed recoil slug offerings. Looked at Cabelas, Wholesale Sports, and Wally world. Slug selection in general is only 1 maybe two offerings at each location. Still several other places to look, but after gas, time, and sales tax I don't believe there are any big savings to be had by buying locally.

Thanks for the tip on the chokes. I haven't decided on a choke yet. My IC was knocking down the steel with authority out of the 28" barrel, but when it gets back from Guncat it will be a 22". My friends 870 and my Saiga cylinder bores routinely left the farther 6" plates standing, with the same ammo, ranges etc. I ordered 20 rounds of 4 types of slugs, maybe I'll try 2,5 shot groups 5 with IC and 5 with M. See who the overall winner is.

Thanks

Vince

Vince,

Try White Elephant at either Sprague or Division. Also Black Sheep in CDA, Idaho. They may not have the B&P, but I've bought Low Recoil Remington and Winchester from both places.

Winchester Winlite and Federal Truball both shot damn near POA/POI from my M2, but Winlite feels like a softer shooter. Fiocchi low recoil is accurate, but 10" left and 15" low at 100yds and a similar reduced offset at 50yds (M2), but shoots accurately from my SX2 practical. Go figure. Remington manged recoil (and i know some of y'all love em) is barely minute of berm at 100yds from my guns.

y'all got me curious about the b&p now...

My local search has turned up zero low/managed recoil slug offerings. Looked at Cabelas, Wholesale Sports, and Wally world. Slug selection in general is only 1 maybe two offerings at each location. Still several other places to look, but after gas, time, and sales tax I don't believe there are any big savings to be had by buying locally.

Thanks for the tip on the chokes. I haven't decided on a choke yet. My IC was knocking down the steel with authority out of the 28" barrel, but when it gets back from Guncat it will be a 22". My friends 870 and my Saiga cylinder bores routinely left the farther 6" plates standing, with the same ammo, ranges etc. I ordered 20 rounds of 4 types of slugs, maybe I'll try 2,5 shot groups 5 with IC and 5 with M. See who the overall winner is.

Thanks

Vince

Bass Pro has a wide selection but even that can vary by season.

When you attend a match walk around and buy about 5 different boxes from other shooters. Figure out what is best and then order you a case from ableammo.com or ammoman.com.