Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dot zero for NRA action Pistol?

Steve,

I don't know the best distance to sight is for the cup...

But, the lowest you will hit if you sight in for 50y will be the distance in height that you dot is above your bore.

If you are using a slide-ride red dot (your firepoint?), it will be fairly close to the bore.  

There is more to this...but I need to do some work on a gun that I have been putting off.

I have checked into this lately, and ran some exterior balistics.  With a 45 ACP hardball round if you sight in at 50 yds you are only 1.79" (maximum) high at 25 yards.  At 10 or 15 yards you are within 1".

How bout a 9mm 124 or 135 at 975-1025 fps? That's flatter than a .45, right?

Flex, we are talking about the Docter sight Beretta here, I'm convinced I can clean the plates with it.

Tho dot is only 1" or less on top of the bore, so I should be good. I want to use the best compromise zero for steel, pins, and NRA AP.

If I understand the logic here, the longer zero reduces the angle of the bullet rising to meet the line of the dot, therefore causing the overall trajectory to be flatter.

A shorter, (closer) zero means the bullet keeps going up after it meets the point of intersection?

If I got it right, that makes sense.

SA

I use 115gr JHP at 1200fps for about 140PF for Bianchi/NRA. Sight at fifty and see what your pistol/Loads do, at 10yard intervals.

My scope on an Open class pistol is about 1.75" above bore. Thanks to the mover base and barricade wings etc.  

Sierra manual says, 115gr JHP at 1200fps.

Zero at 50 and nothing goes over .5" high all the way along. And still only 2.3" low at 75.

If you miss, its you.

• 2 months later...

I'm running a 125 gr. 9X23 @ ~ 1150, and sighted it at 25 yds.  With sight-over-bore at 1.75"  I'm still "on" at 50 for the practical, and have to hold a bit [1.5"] high at 10 for a perfect center hit.  It's still an "X" ring shot at all the distances with a center hold if I do my part.