Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 40 Pro 5" Load help with Lead

38SuperDub

So I did some working up yesterday and went out to the range with the chrono - 4.0, 4.2, 4.3 grains of WST behind a 180gr Lead Bullet - at 4.3gr I'm sitting at 156 +/- power factor - needless to say I still have some work to do. Most of the WST loads I am finding are for jacketed bullets - calling for 5.0gr of WST in a 180 Jacketed - What is usually the rule of thumb for working from Jacketed to Lead - I've read a lot that says take 10% and work up - if this is the case - 10% off will put me at 4.5gr - which means the chrono was right I was way under because the 5.0gr in 180 Jacketed is only chrono'd at 900fps and I want to be around 950 +/-

Thoughts - Help?

BS, I shoot nothing but lead and just recently started loading for the 5 inch pro .40. I only had Clays so started there. A 3.2 grain load behind a 180 was way soft but only about 840 fps. Reading up on Clays was just a tish too scary for .40 trying to make major. Got some VV n320 and did some test loads at 4.5, 4.6 and 4.7. Was very surprised that 4.5 was very soft but also gave me a 177 power factor at about 965fps. Folks fuss about barrel leading but I have always used some copper wrapped around a brush on a dry barrel and takes about 45 seconds to have a bright clean barrel. I am shooting 180 fp Missouri bullets. Good Luck.

Shooting 185 grain Moly's, mine still makes PF at only 4.5gn of Solo-1000, all 20 rounds over 900 fps (166.5 MINIMUM), and most closer to 920 (170PF). This is at 93 degrees, in FL... Since Solo is supposed to be REVERSE temperature sensitive, I think 4.6-4.7 should keep me safe anywhere/time I shoot!

Jeff

So after turning the powder measure slightly - sitting b/w 5.0 and 5.1 gr of WST behind GAT's 180gr - it seems to do the trick. 10 shots - SD of 14 - avg fps - 953 which gives me 172pf - this will suffice for now - enough to get me through TN sectional this next week.

I'm sure you are well aware of pressure issues with WST when loading short; assume around 1.140 for the M&P. I have run some 180 BBI and Bayou Bullets with 4.6 gr WST and they are around 170 out of my XDm40; just didn't like the way the primers looked. 4.7 gr Solo runs about the same and primers still look good. I tend to like the Solo or WSF for the .40 but run a lot of WST for 9mm and .45's. Good luck in finding the right weight and watch for pressure signs.

• 3 months later...

Check out that post I put up on Boomer Shooter I think we were pretty close in our results granted I was shooting the BBI's and not lead! 4.6gr put me at 164.8 PF and I'm loading at 1.135" COL with the WST but I just stuck with 5.0gr and 172.2 PF as it's easier to remember for my old mind LOL and this was from the G24 so you might have to bump up a bit. Later,

Kirk