Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Louisiana - What's the scene?

Long time lurker. Used to be in St. Louis, shot at benchrest mostly. Competed in pistol there but about 2.5 years ago had baby boy #1 and pretty much had to stop competition. At the time I had hoped to get started in 3-gun but never really did. Also do my annual PD trip and the required testing for long-range rifle.

Just moved to the New Orleans area for a new job. I'm still getting settled house-wise, etc. My co-workers should have me in good shape fishing wise but I haven't really run across any shooters to speak of beyond the general hunters.

I've found some info via bayoushooter and also lagator so there's some club info there to maybe get started on pistols for a variety of competition types. A few questions remain: how's the 3-gun scene in the area as well as what is the long-range scene, any 1000-yard ranges available? Something more than close-range?

Thanks much for an awesome site. Been reading for years, never had much to add.....

Reed

Only 1k I know of is long range alley In north LA.

Palo alto in Donaldsonville is 600.

The closest 3 gun to you is in woolmarket ms and poplarville ms but they don't shoot 3 gun in the summer months. Smsps.com will have info.

I'm slightly biased but eaps in gonzales puts on a decent pistol match. 3rd Sunday. Www.eapsclub.org

For USPSA, as you saw on LAGATOR.ORG, we shoot every weekend except the second weekend of the month. Matches all within one hour of you. Palo Alto hosts 600 yard rifle comps. And you can shoot 200 yard rifle in Gonzales at the same range we shoot EAPS for USPSA. Some of us also drive from the NO area to Baton Rouge on Monday nights for USPSA style practice and to Baker on Wednesday nights for same.

Welcome to south LA. If you enjoy shooting, you will quickly find your schedule full with all the options we have down here.

I'm slightly biased but eaps in gonzales puts on a decent pistol match. 3rd Sunday. Www.eapsclub.org

Yup, that Spanky character that designs the stages seems to have some talent in that direction :bow:

Curtis

There is a 1000 yard range in Pascagoula, 2 hours east of NOLA (MS exit 75 off I-10). They periodically have matches at 600 yds, 1000 yds. PM me if you want a contact of someone who is involved in that scene. I have been told that is the only 1000 yard range for 4 states. Range info is here: http://www.pascagouladcm.com/news.php

Others have discussed the 3gun match north of Biloxi (MS Exit 46 off I-10) on the 3rd Saturday. Many folks from NOLA travel there so car pooling should be easy.

The same club that hosts the 3 gun match hosts several benchrest rimfire matches and some really awesome trap and skeet.

Edited by chbrow10