Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Permitted frontstrap modification for CDP division?

patton63

I have been shooting for a long time, but am new to IDPA and USPSA competitions. I would like to shoot my Springfield Armory 1911 in the CDP division in IDPA matches. In looking at the rules, I note that frontstrap checkering is permitted. I had a somewhat different treatment done and am wondering if it creates any issues. Here is a pic:

P1010429.jpg

I know you cannot port the slide or do anything that is intended to lighten the slide. Clearly, these cuts won't do that. Any thoughts on whether this treatment/modification is permitted in this class? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I have to admit I have never seen anything like that before. It doesn't look particularly comfortable, though if you're using it then I assume it must be. Why would you want a treatment that opens up the mag well to the ingress of dirt and other foreign material?

Thanks for the input.

I hadn't seen anything like this before, either. It is a treatment used by a local 1911 gunsmith (former Army Marksmanship Unit armorer). I admit that it doesn't look comfortable, but it actually is quite easy to shoot and there is enough texture that it enhances the grip nicely. As for "why," I bought this gun in 1999 and after 11 years and countless thousands of rounds, decided to have it rebuilt. After a few discussions with the gunsmith, I decided to go for something unique. It wasn't until after getting this rebuilt that I decided to get into IDPA and USPSA shooting. Would I have chosed a different treatment if I was having this built principally for competition - probably. I have shot this at a couple informal bowling pin matches and it regularly serves as my carry gun. So far, I haven't had any problems with dirt or other foreign materials getting into the mag well or the magazine. That may change as I get more involved with IDPA/USPSA, however. If so, I'll rely more heavily on my Les Baer and/or it will give me an excuse to get a new 1911. :D

Thanks again.

From the IDPA Rule Book under Custom Defensive Pistol (if it's not on this list, you can't have it on a CDP gun in IDPA):

PERMITTED Modifications (Inclusive list):

1. Sights to another notch and post type (see "sights" in glossary for further information).

2. Grips (no weighted grips; see "weighted grips" in glossary for further details).

3. Internal accuracy work (includes: replacement of the barrel with one of factory configuration, the use of Accu-Rails, the use of Briley Bushings).

4. Factory installed cone style barrels are permitted on pistols with a barrel length of 4.2" or less.

5. Internal reliability work.

6. Checker frontstrap and backstrap.

7. Checker or square and checker trigger guard.

8. Cosmetic checkering/serrating.

9. Extended thumb (may be ambidextrous) and Beavertail grip safeties.

10. Extended magazine release (button may not be oversize in diameter or protrude more than .2" out from the frame).

11. Full length guide rod manufactured of material that is no heavier than common steel.

12. Hammer and other trigger action parts to enhance trigger pull (includes over travel stop).

13. Beveled magazine well and add-on well extensions.

14. Custom finishes.

I don't see "Mill holes all the way through the frontstrap" on that list, so I would have to say that no, it's not legal. Having said that, I will also say that you should seek a definitive ruling from IDPA HQ.

Don't forget the IDPA Addendum.

C. Have a maximum unloaded weight of 42.0 oz., including an empty magazine.

15. Extended slide release.

16. Customization of the slide by adding front cocking serrations, engraving, tri-top, carry melts and high power cuts.

17. Ambidextrous or right side magazine releases.

Not that these rules have much of anything to do with the issue at hand.

Given we don't have an official ruling would you;

1) Allow it.

2) Not allow it because of safety concerns.

3) Not allow it because you don't think it's checkering.

... please state your reason.

I'd call it checkering and allow it. I don't see it as trying to circumvent the rules, gaining an advantage or being a safety problem.

I've never seen anything called "checkering" that completely penetrated the parent material.

Whether it gives an advantage or not is irrelevant. The rules are the rules.

IMO - I agree its not checkering and therefore not on the inclusive modifications list.. . Any other rules you would cite?

Checkering means "To mark with a checked or squared pattern." Not really seeing that on the OP'sfront strapp.

Where is this definition coming from I don't see it in glossary. Checkering may mean different things to different shooters. I would not have an issue with it. I have seen golf ball dimples and even stippling of a steel front strap that breeze right though equipment check at a major match. My suggestion is ask the MD to any event you may wish to attend. He is the ONLY one that will be sending you packing. All other opinions are just that.

I see the definitions of "checkering", but what about a front strap treatment that does not use "checkering"? Some guns have "scales" or "chain link" patterns, similar to the STI Trojan. Couldn't the gun in the photos be considered to have a custom frame? If you notice, there is no checkering on the front strap. If one were to add checkering to the custom frame which contains holes in it, would that be considered legal? One could then argue that the checkering is, well, checkering, and the holes in the frame are just holes in the frame. :sight:

Edited by sirveyr