Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't get into my safe

scooterj

Hey scooter, as a friend, I will take that defective safe off of your hands for $50 bucks. Obviously this is a fair deal on both of our parts since the contents cannot be verified.

Regards,

Spanky.

What brand?

Pat

Secu-Ram E-Lock

Hey scooter, as a friend, I will take that defective safe off of your hands for $50 bucks. Obviously this is a fair deal on both of our parts since the contents cannot be verified.

Regards,

Spanky.

Ugh, NO :P

I retail a lot of safes, now work in gun shop. Many people insist on Electronic Locks. Afetr 5 years working at a bank many many many years ago and seeing expensive electronic locks and "how well" they work. Everything I own is mechanical key locked. Once sawa safe with 2Mil in it the day of a large wages drop have the electrics fail on one of the locks. 6hours later (that is 9pm) the locksmith emerged from the cover to anounce he had it open. Next day new safe ($11K) and no electronic locks. Never did find out what he did to open the safe or how much his time cost!! :ph34r:

Not ever will I have electronic locks near my guns. I have an unknown number of firearms and have three safes (all 6mm Steel or heavier) and a secure room with an 8mm Steel door. All with two 7+ lever (not Chinese) locks and full hinges on each door.

The other thing I see lots of, $20K worth of guns in a $500 safe, real smart. I know most have insurance, but the idea that one of my guns is "out there" just turns my guts.

Fix the electronic lock and get rid of it, revert to mechanical and keep 1 spare set of keys at someone elses house you trust, and another elsewhere. We have four of us that each has a spare to someone elses safe and I keep a set in the shop lockup. Which is 20ft square Concrete room 16" thick with a 2.5 Ton door with a old four number tumbler lock. Perfect. Every home should have one.

Call or e mail Cannon. Also phone a lock smith, they might be helpful.

Waiting on a reply from them now. I'll call them in the morning.

Google the Michael Bane saga - Cannon's position will be that they will replace the lock but their warranty does not cover opening or repair after opening for a lock failure.

Yes, that is also my understanding. Yer problem, but hey we will give you another lock......that went south once already. If it happens once, it will happen twice. And that is any product. Not bashing cannon.

Edited by whitedog