Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any tips on getting the rear buffer on a cominolli?

raz-0

I had my gun built light, figured if I didn't like it I could add a tungsten rod, switch to a bull barrel, or both. Added the tungsten rod, and I like the way it feels and tracks a lot.

Problem is all I could get a hold of was the cominolli frame saver in tungsten. The black front side buffer works great. The red rear side buffer seems like they forgot every dimension of their guide rod. It is a MAJOR pain in the butt to get on the retaining bit. PRimarily beacuse it appears to be thicker than the actual gap provided to insert it into. If you DO manage to compress it into that gap, it appears the hole is narrower than the rod it surrounds. The net result is that if makes the gun not operate. To make it not bind up the gun, I have to trim a LOT of the buffer away. The buffer lasts MAYBE 1500 rounds because of this.

Anyone have any advice on how to get the darn things on without injuring yourself? The best answer I have gotten to date is that back in the day they used to be the right size, and the new ones simply aren't and if you don't have a stash of the good old ones, you are SOL.

I'm becoming extremely frustrated by this stupid thing, so any advice is appreciated.

I have several of the guide rods, both tungsten and steel. The thinner black buffer does go in front and the thicker red is the rear buffer. The only problem I've ever had was ordering the wrong buffers from Brownell's. There are two editions of the Framesaver guide rods and the buffers are slightly different for the Framesaver II, which I have. I didn't notice the difference on the package until I could not get the rear buffer on the guide rod correctly. Version II has a slit on the bottom side of the red rear buffer so the buffer separates slightly and just slips over the rear disk. I noticed the rear buffer that I mistakenly ordered (version 1) was slightly different dimensionally and gave me the problem you described on my version II guide rod. Check with Joe if you don't know which you have and what the correct buffer is.

I have several of the guide rods, both tungsten and steel. The thinner black buffer does go in front and the thicker red is the rear buffer. The only problem I've ever had was ordering the wrong buffers from Brownell's. There are two editions of the Framesaver guide rods and the buffers are slightly different for the Framesaver II, which I have. I didn't notice the difference on the package until I could not get the rear buffer on the guide rod correctly. Version II has a slit on the bottom side of the red rear buffer so the buffer separates slightly and just slips over the rear disk. I noticed the rear buffer that I mistakenly ordered (version 1) was slightly different dimensionally and gave me the problem you described on my version II guide rod. Check with Joe if you don't know which you have and what the correct buffer is.

that seems backwards from mine, i got two black and two red buffers with mine. the black ones look like rubber washers and fit on the wedge. the red ones looked like the traditional wilson shok buffs. I must have another version. I dont have the slit in it either, i got it on but took some manipulating.

Joe made some great stuff at one time, however the new red shok buffs are grossly out of spec and almost impossible to get on the back ( where the directions that came with mine say they go ) after spending way too much Drimmel time trying to both trim and thin these soft tiny things I gave up. His web page is down and the Govt. size guiderod/buff sets have been back-ordered at Midway and Brownells for a long time.

I never knew there was a II version with a slit in the red buff, not that it matters if they are way oversized as well.

Too bad, the old ones were great and they were great idea for 4" alloy frame 1911`s shooting full loads.

I contacted them, and they said send it in. they also said the version with the slit were the older version. I tried slitting them previously. The red buff still doesn't clear the gap in back.

Brownells doesn't list different versions of the buffs, I'm pretty sure you can just get whatever is shipping these days. The 6 packs with 3 red and 3 black have been available pretty regularly.

We'll see if they can make it work.