Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

load 4 NRA action (newbe) minimum recoil

JB

I have seen competitors who load low enough to see their bullets fly to the plate. Since the max distance is set for the game.  Has anyone worked up loads that can travel the distance with a 40 S&W that gets the job done but you don't need aircraft sights to still hit the mover at max range.  I shoot a Springfield Armory P9 with a compensator.  Not much muzzle rise, but I would think less would be better than ++fps.  Am I all wet here?  JB

Muzzle rise is only one consideration as you have already pointed out about the "aircraft sights to still hit the mover".  Keep your ammo around 1,000 fps with the lighter bullets for most lead-factor optics to be dialed in correctly.  You really don't have to load to the minimum PF, and if you expect that comp to do much at all, you'll need some more powder in your loads anyway.  It reaches a point of diminishing returns in that respect.  

Try different loads to see what works best insofar as recovery time and recoil softness for subsequent shots, and go with that.  The PF of 120,000 is just that, a minimum, with the top end wide open for your best loads.  A friend came in 21st this past year at Bianchi running 115 gr. bullets at well over the minimum of 1044 fps for that bullet weight, but the comp was doing its job well enough to keep muzzle flip to a minimum and help with maintaining a good sight picture throughout the match.

Sorry if this seems a bit rambling, but bottom line is: keep the load comfortable for your style of shooting, and don't worry about getting it as light as possible.

Alan~^~

Try a 135gr to 150gr projectile. Keep them at about 130pf. Even at 900 fps you will not be leading off the target, very close to the edge but not off.

Use fast burning powder ( eg 231 ) to keep recoil to a minimum.

If the comp gives you any help great. But with gentle loads like that you may not need much help.

Try