Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W Model 63 3" vs. 5"

haras

I want to purchase a S&W model 63 for training of new students and am now kicking myself for not buying one of the 5" 8-shots before they quit making them. The only thing they have now are the 3" barrels. Has anyone shot one of the 3" guns? How is the recoil/muzzle flip? This is aimed toward teaching not only men but women and young people.

I want to purchase a S&W model 63 for training of new students and am now kicking myself for not buying one of the 5" 8-shots before they quit making them. The only thing they have now are the 3" barrels. Has anyone shot one of the 3" guns? How is the recoil/muzzle flip? This is aimed toward teaching not only men but women and young people.

Haras, are we talking about a 3" 63 or just a 3" any Revo? I have a 4" 627 Pro and the 627 5" gun. The muzzle flip will basically be the same however with the shorter barrel one will notice it less as the visible barrel rise is not as noticeable. Similar to a lever the closer to the fulcrum the shorter the movement. That and the slightly less velocity due to the barrel length, dependent on powder used. Hope this is useful. Later rdd

I've got a 617 -- a .22lr revolver with a 3" barrel but mine has an aluminum frame. The 63 has a stainless frame. There simply is no muzzle flip or noticeable recoil. It is a .22lr. The heavier 63 will have even less. Recoil will not be a problem, even for older students. I've trained 60-year-old women using my 617.

I can't tell the sights on the 63 from S&W's web site. My 617 has a fiber optic front sight, and an express style rear sight which is a shallow V. I find it basically impossible to shoot accurately. Standard post and notch sights work far better for me.

I have a 5" 63. It remains my first choice, but I haven't tried a 3". It's not really a lightweight gun, I can't imagine recoil or muzzle flip being a problem for anyone, even in a 3". You could probably find a 5" on one of the auction sites, like gunsamerica.