Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Until last weekend, the Point Series policy excluded matches which had any fees waived (including charity matches).

The board accepted my proposal that the policy be changed to allow the Area Director to select a charity match as the single "other tournament" authprized per area, provided preference is given to full fee matches.

This policy change was unanimously approved, as was my request the information be released immediately (instead of waiting for meeting minutes)

As a results, AWARE 2004 in Vermont will be a Point Series match.

This match is worth the trip - great ranges; well designed stages; nice area to stay; reasonably priced hotels.

Just ask Phil Strader if you have any doubts.

See you there.

My first practical shooting match experience was with the folks at Green Mountain Practical Shooters in VT, who host the AWARE match. They sunk the hook pretty deep, great people, absolutely beautiful range right in the mountains, always alot of fun. Some friends and I get up before the sun to drive almost 3 hours to shoot with them and never regret it.

As a matter of fact, we'll be heading over there tomorrow!

- Gabe

PS: You can get them here: www.gmps.ws

• 3 months later...

If I lived closer, I would support just about any shooting match held in Vermont! The fact that it's a great match (from what I've heard), it supports a good cause, and now that it's a Point Series Match make it a real winner.

• 3 weeks later...

And a winner it was Rhino, despite some of that infamous Vermont liquid sunshine. :o The stages were the most elaborately decorated of any match I have ever seen and I heard the same comment from many of the competitors. The ROs mostly shot on Thursday and the skies opened up around four PM and drenched us. Friday and Sunday were warm and clear but Saturday morning we got pretty wet. It didn't dampen the enthusiasm of the participants however. I have great respect for all of the people who came out and made the match great including over 160 competitors. The Alexander family, Richard, Barbara, Elye, and Ben were at their artistic best. We’ll be back next year.

Absolutely fantastic, guys. What a great time. I missed AWARE last year, and if I'd known it was this cool I would have spent the whole year depressed! A level of detail, imagination and effort that is impossible to describe.

See you next time.

- Gabe

You know the Aware has always been known for neat stage props and shoot them as you see them courses. The rain did make life a little (make that a lot) miserable on Saturday morning especially with low temps but the weather cleared at lunch and was a great day to shoot.

Now lets talk other things, I know what it is like to host, manage and run a major match. The biggest problem I had Saturday morning was that several shooters on my squad indicated they looked at the stage with the cannon on Friday. They arrived to shoot the stage on Saturday and found that the last 4 targets were changed. The CRO of the stage became a little (make that a lot) upset that these shooters told him that the stage was changed. The CRO growled that it had not. Well low and behold the Assistant MD, MD and RM came over and the RM admitted that the targets were changed for safety reasons. They di dnot even tell the CRO of that stage. A member of our squad said " you have to either get everyone who shot on Friday to reshoot the stage or toss it." The Assistant MD said him "you don't have to worry about me beating you."

What kinda of statement is that? The stage was never tossed.

Another incident occurred at stage 7. The door to the bar room was latched open. A member of our squad asked if he could operate the door since the shooter had to negociate it during the course of fire. The RO yelled "NO, I have not let anyone else do it and I am not letting you." That was ok but almost half of the squad was able to go thru the door opening it and closing it before the door was latched open and the shooter asking was the first one up. I felt it was a safety issue since it was a double swinging saloon type door that was only about 12" wide on each side.

This is not meant to prevent anyone from attending but several shooters on my squad commented they had heard great things about the match but said after this expierence they would never be back.

Every match is a learning experience for both match directors and competitors alike and with a bit of luck, there will be continual improvements.

If you felt your concerns about a change in course of fire were not adequately addressed, how about taking up a collection and filing an arbitartion?

Ed with all do respect.....bull. Holes just don't appear in a berm. Your RM indicated that rounds were leaving the berm and landing in the parking lot. I find that statement to be very possible consdiering the angle. The pictures on the USPSA web page clearly show a shooter shooting at the last position at a low target. Now with that said, I did not see the targets on Friday but this confirms what the other people on my squad were saying. That target was moved to a higher position, closer to the wall and the last target on the right was moved so the rounds went down range. BTW, the low target being put high and close to the wall created a nice shoot thru which help some shooters get 2. :) Back to the RM statement of rounds leaving the berm, why was the other two targets that were shot as you ran past them not moved. Rounds certainly went in the same direction. There were three targets with rounds going toward that low berm, only one was changed.

I have no problem with safety, understand in this day no one and I mean no one want rounds leaving the range. My problem is why should a shooter have to file an arbitration to ensure that a stage is fair for all shooters. Your RM, Assistant MD and yourself all knew the targets were changed. According to the USPSA rules you have two options 1. have everyone reshoot the stage that shot it prior to the change or 2. Toss the stage. No one wants to see a stage tossed.

Here is a better solution: Pile tires, hay bales or something behind the targets to keep the rounds on the range. The problem would be solved.

You know how people are, they think you are up to something no good when changes are made and no one is told to include the CRO.

Keep the Alexanders busy their props are some of the best I have seen in USPSA. Best of luck next year!!!