Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First USPSA match, first Texas Star

SeaTact

Hi all. Being a complete noob, I'd love your feedback for my very first USPSA match. I shoot a completely stock Gen4 Glock 17 (minor PF of course). I chose limited just so I can focus more on the shooting and a little less on the reloading. My next match I now have enough magazines so I'll go to production.

This was called Let Em Have It. Comstock, 33 minimum rounds,max points 165. I scored 163 in 71.78 seconds. Hit factor 2.3. I placed 11 out of 13 for the limited shooters. And for what (little) it's worth I tied for first place in the division for accuracy. Which means I can shoot faster next time.

- I noticed my gun was following the last target on the star. Rather than moving the sight with the steel I should have just waited for thetarget to move into my sight picture (?)

- My transitions are inefficient. I should have been shooting the moment I'm in the shooting box. I felt like I needed to stand still to have a stable shooting platform and sight picture.At my level, should I still try to shoot while stepping into the box?

- Needed to reload while transitioning between shooting boxes.

- Still learning to call my shots so after the second arrayof steel I paused before moving.

- Don't know why I did that little hop after running throughthe left-hand steel targets

- I ran to the last set of targets just to get a little closer and get a little more accurate.

Edited by SeaTact

... I scored 163 in 71.78 seconds. Hit factor 2.3. I placed 11 out of 13 for the limited shooters. And for what (little) it's worth I tied for first place in the division for accuracy. Which means I can shoot faster next time.

The points scored may be a little deceiving unless you also count all of your extra shots. The star killed you on this stage but you had misses on the fixed plates and the rack too. I'd suggest that when you can drop your steel one-for-one consistently, you can turn up the speed dial. What will happen is that you will develop your skills related to the motions required, i.e. reloads, target acquisting and transition, moving from/to positions, etc... and your elapsed time will decrease. None of that really counts unless you know you've hit the target.

- I noticed my gun was following the last target on the star. Rather than moving the sight with the steel I should have just waited for thetarget to move into my sight picture (?)

Yep - you sure went chasing after the last plate on the star. Probably better to setup on one spot for that last plate and shoot it coming into that spot. But the order you took on the star was fine (head, arms, legs) - the last one just got away from you. It also looked like you were shooting low on that last plate.

- My transitions are inefficient. I should have been shooting the moment I'm in the shooting box. I felt like I needed to stand still to have a stable shooting platform and sight picture.At my level, should I still try to shoot while stepping into the box?

Gotta start somewhere. You can prep the gun moving into position so that as soon as you're in position, you can break the first shot. Example: the distance between the star and next array seemed pretty short. In addition to doing the reload, you might try keeping the gun up high, so that the sights are in your peripheral vision as your eyes find the target. If you didn't have to reload, you may choose not to dismount the gun at all.

- Needed to reload while transitioning between shooting boxes.

Yes.

- Still learning to call my shots so after the second arrayof steel I paused before moving.

Comes with practice. You'll get better.

- Don't know why I did that little hop after running throughthe left-hand steel targets

Didn't notice a hop, but I did notice that you engaged the paper left-to-right and then the steel right-to-left. Any particular reason?

- I ran to the last set of targets just to get a little closer and get a little more accurate.

Nothing wrong with that although I'd do it only if I had to get there anyway. Looks like those four papers that you engaged last could have been taken from any of the other positions? They were certainly visible. With 163/165 points on the stage, you can obviously shoot As. Could you have engaged them from one of the earlier positions without dropping significant points?

Looking good for a first match. As you develop, you'll see stages and be able to gauge how best to apply the skills that you have to the stage.

:cheers:

- My transitions are inefficient. I should have been shooting the moment I'm in the shooting box. I felt like I needed to stand still to have a stable shooting platform and sight picture.At my level, should I still try to shoot while stepping into the box

Your actual transitions looked good (moving the gun from target to target), they were nice and crisp. What you're talking about though is stage movement, which is something you shouldn't be too preoccupied with - IMO - at this stage of the game. It certainly is important but I would forego putting some real effort into it short term, in the interest of not getting overwhelmed by trying to work on too many things at the same time.

I would focus on the shooting. One of your obvious strengths is trigger control with those kind of points. Your grip looked good in terms of controlling recoil but it looks like it could use some work to get the sights to track consistently for faster follow up shots. No way to get that down without shooting more ammo.

I noticed you started shooting at the right array what looked like before you got completely into the box. Depending on what the stage briefing said that may or may not have been an actual penalty, but it's certainly worth paying attention to at a bigger match. I got popped for two procedurals at the match at Renton a couple weeks ago for a similar error.

Lastly, I would recommend keeping the gun higher as you reload. Here's how I do it, but YMMV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAzHppHX8_o

That looked like a fun stage! Wish I could have made it.

Good morning and thanks for the great feedback, lumpygravy. Really helpful thoughts and suggestions. Can't wait for my next match.

-I noticed my gun was following the last target on the star. Rather than movingthe sight with the steel I should have just waited for the target to move intomy sight picture (?)

Yep- you sure went chasing after the last plate on the star. Probably better tosetup on one spot for that last plate and shoot it coming into that spot. Butthe order you took on the star was fine (head, arms, legs) - the last one justgot away from you. It also looked like you were shooting low on that lastplate.

I didn't have as good a sense of where to place my sights until after this stage. On the last set of plates I learned that I had to adjust my aim a little higher. I really enjoy steel—instant feedback.

Didn't notice a hop, but I did notice that you engaged the paper left-to-right and then the steel right-to-left. Any particular reason?

No particular reason that I was aware of during the stage. I'm trying to be "ambidextrous" but I think my preference is to shoot from right-to-left.

Nothing wrong with that although I'd do it only if I had to get there anyway. Looks like those four papers that you engaged last could have been taken from any of the other positions? They were certainly visible. With 163/165 points on the stage, you can obviously shoot As. Could you have engaged them from one of the earlier positions without dropping significant points?

Very true, when I planned the stage I thought it'd be better to spend time getting closer. Probably not the best thought or plan.

- My transitions are inefficient. I should have been shooting the moment I'm in the shooting box. I felt like I needed to stand still to have a stable shooting platform and sight picture.At my level, should I still try to shoot while stepping into the box

Your actual transitions looked good (moving the gun from target to target), they were nice and crisp. What you're talking about though is stage movement, which is something you shouldn't be too preoccupied with - IMO - at this stage of the game. It certainly is important but I would forego putting some real effort into it short term, in the interest of not getting overwhelmed by trying to work on too many things at the same time.

I would focus on the shooting. One of your obvious strengths is trigger control with those kind of points. Your grip looked good in terms of controlling recoil but it looks like it could use some work to get the sights to track consistently for faster follow up shots. No way to get that down without shooting more ammo.

I noticed you started shooting at the right array what looked like before you got completely into the box. Depending on what the stage briefing said that may or may not have been an actual penalty, but it's certainly worth paying attention to at a bigger match. I got popped for two procedurals at the match at Renton a couple weeks ago for a similar error.

Lastly, I would recommend keeping the gun higher as you reload. Here's how I do it, but YMMV:

That looked like a fun stage! Wish I could have made it.

--Thanks for all the tips! Definitely was a blast. I was surprised to hear more than one shooter in my squad grumble about steel. I love it-- even if I am a slow newb.

-- My sights definitely don't track consistently yet with followup shots-- mostly because of my experience, partly because I have flimsy forearms (working on that), and partly because I'm shooting factory ammo for now. I'll reload in the future, just don't know when.

-- You're right about shooting outside of the box. The RO was being kind.

-- I'd been sure that my gun was higher during the reload...until I saw my video. Gonna work on that more during dry fire practice.

If I post another stage in the match, should I post it here or in a new thread?