Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eggshell Blue on the Inside?

Cracked open an egg for breakfast and the inner lining of the shell was bright blue. What did I just eat?surprise.gif

The egg was perfectly normal other than that and smelled and tasted just fine.

Cracked open an egg for breakfast and the inner lining of the shell was bright blue. What did I just eat?surprise.gif

The egg was perfectly normal other than that and smelled and tasted just fine.

Was it a store egg or one from someone who has chickens in their backyard? Either way it's a genetic thing. I would think it would be more likely to show up in non-commercial flocks. Google "Biliverdin" if you are really short on things to do.

At the risk of thread drift . . .

The neighboring farm has free-range chickens, that lay brown eggs. OMG! I would have to give up eggs if I had to go back to eating store bought.

She says it is because of the bugs they eat. I try not to think about that while setting at the table. :unsure:

The neighboring farm has free-range chickens, that lay brown eggs. OMG! I would have to give up eggs if I had to go back to eating store bought.

She says it is because of the bugs they eat. I try not to think about that while setting at the table. :unsure:

OK, you're right... total thread drift... Brown eggs are laid by red hens. White eggs are laid by white hens.

Blue-lined eggs are laid by blue hens. :ph34r:

OK, you're right... total thread drift... Brown eggs are laid by red hens. White eggs are laid by white hens.

Blue-lined eggs are laid by blue hens. :ph34r:

I've never seen a blue chicken. They all seem very happy. :wacko:

+1 on brown eggs just being genetic. Now, eggs laid by chickens which get to run around eating bugs/etc do taste better, IMO, but nothing to do w. color. (Really, really tasty eggs come from chickens running around a place which butchers deer, so long as you don't pay too much thought to how much the chickens love getting into the guts, etc...)

Color of chicken and diet has nothing to do with color of eggs, some white chickens lay white some lay brown, dcepends on the breed, some chickens lay blue and green eggs, and store bought eggs are terrible, free range is where it's at. I love chickens, the eat lots of bugs, keep the pasture clean, are entertaining, wake you up in the morning, plus all the eggs you can eat.

Oh and dont be fooled by storebought "free range" FDA sponsored lies. Legal free range means the chicken has an opportunity to go outside for 5 minutes a day. DOesnt mean what common English would sugest,

we have 4 hens in the backyard - they are allowed in the city, but roosters are not. Our two white Leghorn's lay white eggs and our two black Bantam's lay smaller brown eggs. We also used to have a Rhode Island Red that would lay large brown eggs. The eggs do taste so much better and I don't think that we will ever go back to store bought.

Although we do not have an Ameraucana hen yet, they are the hens that lay the green and blue "Easter eggs".