Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Montana Gold 55gr .223 load assist

Quick Draw McGraw

Have ordered some MG 55grain FMJ bullets for my AR15. It has 20 inch stainless barrel with 1:8 twist. Previously loaded a different 62 gr bullet with Varget. Very accurate but meters poorly in my RCBS Uniflow and I had to weigh each charge it was so inconsistent. Thinking more towards using a ball powder for better metering such as WIN 748, H335, or BLC2. Rep at MG recommended BLC2. Anyone worked up a load using these powders? Please include OAL, charge weight etc. I will be using Lake City once fired brass, Winchester small rifle primers. Thanks,Bob.

Another thumbs up for Ramshot Exterminator and the Montana Gold 55 grain.

I run 25.2 grains and load to mag length in my Rock River 20 inch 1 in 8 twist. It shoots a hair over a MOA and about 3150.

When I first loaded .223, I got some Varget and AA2230 and some MG 55's. The AA2230 was more consistent for me so that's what I used. I had no trouble getting 3000fps with a comfortable load and that was enough for me to shoot out to 250yd with a red dot without any problems.

I later tried the same powder with SMK 69's and was shooting that out to 600yds with a scope and getting decent results. And at shorter distances, my ballistic curve is almost identical to the 55's which makes zeroing a lot easier.

It just seems to be a decent general purpose powder.

Edited by Graham Smith

I use Accurate Arms XMR 2015 for my 55's. It is a bit faster than 2230, and likely in the same range as Benchmark. I am using 23.5 gr and I could not miss the 10" plates at 200 with a borrowed JP rifle.. It meters well and I get ~2300 rounds out of an 8 pounder.

Just starting to work up a load with BL-C2 and MG 55's through a Sig 556 16" 1 in 7 twist barrel. First lot was 26 grains and 2.25OAL, 3 shot chrono avg. 2556 fps.

27.1 gr BLC2 gave me the best groups (around 2900 fps). 16" Bushmaster AR. This load also works good in my 18" Sabre.

I use TAC with 69gr SMK. Don't have my load book handy.

Edited by CocoBolo

Well finally got my Montana Gold 55gn bullets and decided to try Hodgdon H-335. First things first. Montana Gold makes a great product. Bullets are well made and very consistent. Will be buying a lot more of these. I have a dealer account with ZERO Bullets for pistol bullets which are also excellent. After buying the MG rifle bullets I will obtain some of their pistol bullets to compare the 2. Anyway worked up a bunch of different loads starting at 22.5 gn through 24 gn. The 24 gn of H-335 using Lake City brass trimmed to 1.751 with Winchester small rifle primers and the 55gn bullet makes one ragged hole. COAL 2.248 I guess I will also try 24.5 & 25 gn to see if there is any improvement/difference. But the 24 gn H-335 makes a very nice, precise shooting load with the Lake City Brass. Thanks to everyone who provided advice here. Bob

• 3 months later...

Just starting to work up a load with BL-C2 and MG 55's through a Sig 556 16" 1 in 7 twist barrel. First lot was 26 grains and 2.25OAL, 3 shot chrono avg. 2556 fps.

I was getting 2950 roughly with 27.0 gr of BLC2 out of a 1:8 18" barrel. I was shooting 55gr Hornady FMJ w/c and was getting +/- 25 fps of the 2950. I then noticed in the Hornady book, which I don't have, that the max load that they list is 28.1 of BLC2! Hodgdon says 27.5 on the bottle, but either way, I think you can bump it up a little. I have since bumped mine up to 27.4 and loaded a bunch and then saw the info above. I haven't chronoed these or checked the grouping yet.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had great luck with Montana Gold 55gr bullets. My load is 24.1 gr of Accurate 2230 and CCI 450 primers. I use to use H355 but I had a hard time finding it for a while. I liked the 2230 so much I stuck with it. I have a 1 and 8 twist 20" barrel too. I have no problem making power factor and it's more accurate than I am.

Accurate 2230 meters out very well.

• 2 weeks later...