Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.56 not falling off shellplate

I am having an infrequent problem that I can't resolve so I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. I'm loading 5.56 on a 550 press, and sometimes a loaded round doesn't want to move at the last stage where the ejector wire catches the loaded round and pushes it off the shellplate. This only happens maybe once every 20-30 rounds, and I can't feel any roughness on the ejector wire, and nothing on the shellplate that I can feel. Has anyone else had this happen, and if so how did you cure this? It's more of an annoyance than anything else.

When that happens to me I take a dental tool or GI toothbrush and clean the grooves that the cartridge fits in. Another cause is burs on the cases, usually from the extractor. I have learned to tumble 223 cases a little longer.

The only thing I've run into on 223/5.56 rounds is sometimes they will partially hang up on the handle, about halfway down the chute, but in that situation you don't have to do anything since the next time you pull the handle they go ahead and fall into the bin.

Thanks for the replies. First, the shellplate grooves are as clean as I can get. I brush everything off every 200 rounds or so and vac any loose powder off the plate. I'm using WC844 and it's very fine so some does spill. Next, the ejector wire does ride up and I push it down. I thought that might be the problem but the more I load the less I think this is it. I checked the wire for abrasions too, none found. Finally, yes the loaded rounds do hang up on the handle, and sometimes they don't even fall off the shellplate but fall in towards the center and when the plate indexes, they fall onto the floor. Not sure how this can be cured. I just police up any fallen rounds when I finish for the day.

The only thing I can't control is any dents in the case rims. I haven't had this problem in any caliber except 5.56 but I'll start checking every round that doesn't fall away easily for dents. Thanks all for the info.