Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Choke for Saiga 12

I just took possession of a converted Saiga 12 which I then sent to Jack Travers for additional work-magwell, etc. I found I need a choke and see that several are available including the Poly Choke II, the original Russian chokes, and a set of chokes from SGM. Which choke is my best bet for using in 3-gun competition. Thanks in advance

I just took possession of a converted Saiga 12 which I then sent to Jack Travers for additional work-magwell, etc. I found I need a choke and see that several are available including the Poly Choke II, the original Russian chokes, and a set of chokes from SGM. Which choke is my best bet for using in 3-gun competition. Thanks in advance

The Russian chokes work fine, I have a set for my first Open Saiga. I saw the SGM ones at Shot and they looked like good quality chokes. I think you have more choices with the SGMs, but I almost always use the Russian Mod choke with that Saiga and I've shot more than a couple of 3 gun matches with it. Make sure you keep the thread protector and use that when the targets are close, same as Cylinder Bore (you can run it with out anything on the threads since they are external, but risk damaging them). Poly Choke is OK for shot, but will cause problems when you want to shoot slugs. POI changes as you change choke settings.

Doug

Edited by Doug H.

I have been using the polychoke for a number of years now on two of my S12's I use in 3 gun. I use the imp cyl setting for slugs....this setting works fine for birdshot also. It is very easy to change choke settings and works very well....I have patterned each one.

The best ones I have used are the SGM copies of the Russian Chokes (I assume the Russian chokes would be just as good).

I tried the polychoke for a while. Adjusting it back and forth changes POI with slugs significantly the dirtier it gets. It also didnt seem to consistently constrict the pattern the same as a fixed choke.

I tried the AK builder one for a while too, and the winchoke that threaded into it was visibly crooked. I'm guessing its because half the choke hit the barrel before the other side did based on the way it was threaded. Or the threads on my barrel might not have been bore centric. Either way, using an adapter piece likely added more slop to the equation.

The Saiga barrel is externally threaded so it makes sense to use the right chokes for the purpose unless you're getting it gunsmithed into using something else.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

If you cut off the externally threaded section at the muzzle you can have the 12ga Saiga barrel internally threaded for standard Rem-choke tubes or Win/Mossberg choke tubes. You can also leave the external threaded section in place and thread the barrel for Tru-Choke tubes (but you still have to lose the first 3/8” of non-threaded barrel, this section is too small for the choke tube). I've threaded several in either configuration.

Edited by GunCat

Regardless of the type of choke, I would be reluctant to shoot slugs with anything tighter than modified. And I would bet changing out a fixed choke will change the poi of slugs just as the polychoke does. Go with whatever choke screws on your externally threaded barrel.....Russian fixed or polychoke. Keep it simple.....

And I would bet changing out a fixed choke will change the poi of slugs just as the polychoke does.

It has been my experience with 2 Saigas and several other shotguns (Remington, Benelli and FN) that you can change chokes back and forth and the POI (Point of Impact) does not change for a given choke. Different chokes may give a different POI, but the POI should be constant for each choke. I may change chokes on different stages depending on the distance to the targets but have never had a problem getting slug hits. The Briley Rem chokes I have installed in my Saiga, IC and Mod, both shoot to the same POA (Point of Aim).

Doug

I have polychokes on mind and like them. One thing is before a match or when cleaning I make sure it turns freely and put a couple of drops of lube on it. Its prone to get hot and cruddy and then stick. I shoot slugs on imp/mod and I think as much as anything its about knowing where your gun shoots.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old thread but....

I am looking at buying some chokes for my saiga and my question is, The SGM chokes are sold as a set of 3(mod,full,xfull) or you can buy them single. I dont think I will need anything tighter than the mod. should I get the set just in case? Does anyone ever use a full choke on there saiga?

I know this is an old thread but....

I am looking at buying some chokes for my saiga and my question is, The SGM chokes are sold as a set of 3(mod,full,xfull) or you can buy them single. I dont think I will need anything tighter than the mod. should I get the set just in case? Does anyone ever use a full choke on there saiga?

You can buy them individually from MAA

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/saiga-12-muzzle-attachments-c-366_254.html?page=3&sort=20a

Not listed on their website but you can always try emailing Greg @ Carolina Shooters Supply and ask for individual chokes.

Am I the only one that doesn't use any choke on my Saiga :roflol: Ran several multigun and shotgun sidematches and haven't seen the need- may just be me.

Can you knock down steel at 45yds?

Am I the only one that doesn't use any choke on my Saiga :roflol: Ran several multigun and shotgun sidematches and haven't seen the need- may just be me.

Or a texas star at 20 yards. This is where the guys with no choke go home crying.

Pat

Or a texas star at 20 yards. This is where the guys with no choke go home crying.

Pat

thats kinda what I was thinking.

Yeah, I guess you guys have got me there. I've only had to shoot a star at 15 yards and the steel I've shot at 50 yards was with slugs. Everything fell, but if the 50 yarders called for shot, I'd probably be in trouble.

So, what would you choke gurus recommend for these exact scenarios? Do you swap chokes out depending on stage (thus having a full set or poly)? At the matches I shoot, I don't think it will ever matter, but you never know what somebody might come up with or I might go to a new match somewhere. I don't want to go home crying. :(

Edited by sbcman

Yeah, I guess you guys have got me there. I've only had to shoot a star at 15 yards and the steel I've shot at 50 yards was with slugs. Everything fell, but if the 50 yarders called for shot, I'd probably be in trouble.

So, what would you choke gurus recommend for these exact scenarios? Do you swap chokes out depending on stage (thus having a full set or poly)? At the matches I shoot, I don't think it will ever matter, but you never know what somebody might come up with or I might go to a new match somewhere. I don't want to go home crying. :(

I use Improved modified on the texas star at 20 yards and for steel poppers at 20 yards and out. Otherwise I use light modified on most everything else. If there is a spinner I use my turkey choke.

Pat