Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bianchi / NRA revolver choices

WayneBullock

I recently inherited a Colt Python originally set up for PPC (38/357 cal).  I know this revolver is a little heavy for IPSC, but I was wandering if it would be suitable to begin NRA pistol/Bianchi events?

One more thing...  It is setup to use speed-loaders.  Are moon-clips availble for the python, and are they legal for NRA/Bianchi?

Thanks for the information.

WayneB

Moon clips very legal in NRA/Bianchi. Speed reloads not required for the Bianchi Matches, but other NRA Action matche do require reloads under the clock. But these seem to be mostly avoided at the clubs I have been to.

Just as well you got the Colt for the right price. Use a Smith & Wesson. More gunsmiths do work on and supply parts for the S&W than all others combined.

Get a good dot and barricade wings.

Just make sure you are enjoying yourself.

Go ahead and use the Python as-is.  Getting it cut for full moons would be ferociously expensive.  And when your Python shows signs of needing work, you'll find there are perhaps two guys left in the US who can do good work on them.

If you just want to have fun, buy a 686 and get practicing.  If you want to go whole-hog, set aside $2000 and buy a fully tricked revolver for the job.

If you find you want to shoot revolver in IPSC/USPSA matches, buy a 625-2 and a fistful of moon clips.

But whatever you do, do it because it is fun.

Thanks for the replies.  

Just a few more questions if you don't mind:

1.  Why is the Python not used?  Is there a durability issue or is the Smith just easier to find/gunsmith?

2.  Are iron-sights used, or is everything through a dot now?

3.  Can you recommend a dot/mounting system that is popular in Bianchi?  

Thanks again.

WayneB

1)  In the old days, Pythons were rarely seen because they cost twice as much as a Smith, and finding a gunsmith to work on them was difficult.  The late Jerry Moran was the best, and a "Moran Python" was something you left in your will.  Today, the cost is worse, and the difficulty of finding a gunsmith even greater.

2)  You shoot iron is you're shooting Stock.  In which case you can't change anything except grips and sights.  In Open, it is wide open, and a custom gun can run two grand.

3)  When I shoot NRA Action, I go Stock, so I can't comment directly on the best mounting system.

The most popular dot/mounting systems used are:  Gilmore/Leupold sight with a "Tombstone reticle" and a "mover" adjustment built-in, or nearly any dot-type sight mounted on a "mover base".  Also, the older style Holosight by Bushnell is still used with the "Tombstone Reticle for use on the Mover.  Mounting optics on a Python could prove problematic in finding a manufacturer of such.  You would be better off (IMHO) with the 686 S&W for the above mentioned reasons.  They're used by some of the top revolver shooters at the Cup, and it's easy to find a gunsmith to add on the extras you would want.  Mainly the optics and barricade wings, if you're going the Open Class route.

In Stock Class, all you'd really need to have done is a trigger job.  The only event shot at the Cup requiring a reload under time is a side match, usually the Speedload Challenge.  As for the main event, all courses are 6 rounds or less with no reloads on the clock.

Welcome to the world of NRA Action Shooting!