Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Sights

BillL223

Most of my 3-Gun shooting has been in Open Division.  I use a Tasco PDP5 on a Benelli.  I shot a tactical match this fall using my original barrel with factory rifle sights and plan to shoot more tactical matchs.  What sight set-up would you recommend?  I'm thinking of maybe putting a fiber-optic on the top of my front sight, holding factory elevation.  Will this work? What about ghost rings?

I've got a Williams ghost ring rear and Dawson fiberoptic front sight on my 1187.  I don't really like the ghost-ring unless I'm shooting slugs otherwise I take the ghost ring off and just use the fiber optic front.  The williams sight is somewhat fragile and taking it on and off is not the best way to go about doing things.  Todd Salmon has a cool set up on his benelli that I think Bennie Hill did, it's a folddown 10/22 rear sight fit into the rib and a really skinny fiber optic front.  It's trick, maybe not quite as good as the ghost for slugs but certainly better for shot, just fold down the rear sight and hose away.

KELLY:

I bet that Kurt did Todds setup, as well as Blain's, Mike Hughe's, Jimmie Holdsworth's, and a few others as well as Kurt's. Blain, Mike and I us the HI-VIS front fiber optic, called the competitor, and a propriatary flip up rear sight.( I could tell you but then I'd have to "bill" you!) This is the set up that I was getting the 3" groups at 100yds with.      KURT

I have the same setup on my Benelli as Todd Salmon's.  It is a fold-down 10/22 with an 0.040 fiber optic front enshrouded by a 0.075 blade.  Benny Hill did mine.  It works well for me, except in very low-light conditions.  I don't see well to start with, and in low light, the FO is too small to gather adequate light for me.  Probably fine for younger eyes.

Al

I know this thread is discussing shotgun use in US 3 gun matches but please note for a stand alone IPSC shotgun match, or for an IPSC 3 gun tournament which we will start to see more of next year I can advise that the fold down/flip up rear sights should be OK within the rules (SG rule 5.2.6) but removing a ghost ring rear sight between stages would not be.  

The rule states that that the same type of sights are to be used for all stages of a match.  I would regard the former to be acceptable because they remain fixed to the gun throughout but not the latter because the type of sights changes once the ghost ring is removed from the gun.

I intend to run this past the SG rules committee for consideration.

I've only ever tried one gun with fold down sights (other than Mossbergs) and this was some years ago on an 1100 where the sight had been set in place once a section of the vent rib at the rear had been removed.  I have to say it worked well and would have liked to try it some more.

• 2 months later...

Just to clarify, I don't take the ghost-ring off during matches such as 3 gun nationals where I'll be shooting slugs and shot. I take it off for matches where I'll be shooting shot only, like STC or North American Tac 3 Gun. I don't switch between stages.

Kelly:

To qoute you, " if Benney Cooley jumped off a cliff, and keeps winning all the 3-gun matches I would too." ( wow thats from a long time ago.) He takes his off and puts it on as the STAGE requiers. Why don't you perscribe to this same system?? KURT

I've got a Williams ghost ring rear and Dawson fiberoptic front sight on my 1187.  

Do you use the bare aperture, or do you use one of the little screw-in jobs that come with the sight?

I have a Williams rear sight on mine too (which is why I don't have a side saddle!), but I just took the screw-in aperture out. It give me enough rear sight action for slug, but with the bigger hole I can ignore it when I shoot shot.

But then I'm just a duffer! ;)

I've failed! Yes, I have seen Bennie take his rear sight off at matches. I don't because I have to lock tight my sight on, otherwise it comes loose. Plus I don't think the screws for the Williams are that durable, so I don't like to crank the sight on and off for fear of damage.

I usually use the wide aperture with no insert. I have used the insert on a few all slug stages w/ difficult shots. I don't really shoot shot faster without the ghostring on there but I do prefer it off, except for slugs.

I stand by the statement that observing whatever Bennie does is a good way to learn things. Do I always copy him? No. Should I? Maybe. But he is the leader of the strong handed shotgun loading cult, so I must follow him off any cliffs.

Kelly:

Oh contrare Mein Herr! He isn't the leader of the strong hand loading "cult", It seem every one else loads strong hand so it,s no cult.......but loading weak hand....... well you get the Idea. As for observing Benney to learn, well thats not a bad thing either, just make sure it,s a short drop! KURT

Hey,

Are these sights being screwed or loctited on the rib or the receiver? What about these turkey hunter sights in Cabela's that affix to the rib, has anyone tried those?

There's so few flying targets in 3 gun seems like leaving the sights on would work well for slugs or steel and then just watch the clay bird when it's moving. Just a question since I don't have a rear sight yet but I don't want to buy one if ya all think they're not helpful.

Do you shoot those slugs/sights with both eyes open or one?

Be careful Kelly. I keep watching and doing what Bennie does also. I know I'm a better shooter for it , but I haven't won anything and I know I can run faster than he can. I think he's hiding something from us.

DMV:

The Benelli sight we talk about is dove tailed into the rib befor it ramps up to its final hight. Most sight instalation on other stuff is screwed to the reciever. I know one guy that runs the Turkey sights and they work real well! THE BEST THING ABOUT A REAR SIGHT is when you are shooting from a contorted position and don't have great stock weld you have a set index for the shot!! Oh yea they are really nice for slugs past 30yds or so. KURT

I use the Hi-viz brand slug sights that attach to the rib . The rear is adjustable for elevation and windage . They are not as bright as the mondo huge fiber optics but have worked well for me . There was some concern that they might work there way loose but so far its not a problem . The only trouble I have had with them is when shooting flying targets (Ala MGM clay target launching poppers) but with a little practice I think I will get the hang of it .

Paraman 1,

Are the sights you use in the Brownells catalog, I have been seriously thinking about getting some myself, although I would want to be able to remove them easily if that was possible. The Williams Slugger sight seems

to have everything or the Magnum Gobble sights are an alternative. Cheers

Thanks for the feed back. I'm going to give the sights a try and see what happens. It can't be worse than guessing on were your going to hit on those MGM flash targets at 75 yds and having to "walk them on the target".

Does anyone know of a rear sight that attaches to the rib and folds down?

Anybody have any suggestions for a range to sight slugs in point of impact, point of aim if you have to shoot out to 100yds like at MGM shoots of the past?

Thanks.