Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safariland 002

anachronism

I'm in the market for a left-hand competition holster for a 4 in. 686. They don't exactly grow on trees, but I have located Safariland 002s that are readily available. Are they worth dragging home? Are there any pitfalls to be aware of? Any recommendations for something better? Moneys tight, and I really don't want something that I'll regret later.

Mine was pretty snug, I put a beer bottle in it and softened the back side with a heat gun to open it. Dremeled the top a little. It has nice suede-like stuff on the inside that doesn't scratch up the gun, it's secure, and the angle is nice. I think all of the fancy open type race rigs are a lot more money, and more to go wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my 002 cup holste for at least 10 years.. and I've tried the CR Speed route only to return back to the simplicity of the 002. If I do my part, I can draw and fire plenty fast with it... It holds my L and N frames just fine and there is no need to adjust between barrel lengths.

I use one for both a 6 and 4 inch 686. Also use the same 002 for a 5.5 inch 627. It works, prices is lowest for playing these games. Yes they are very snug (tight) when you get them. They need some breaking in, aggressively, but after that. they do work. About $65.

Westczek

I loosened mine up with a heat gun, then made a through bolt/knob setup so I can lock it down. I love the setup, save for one complaint. Unfortunately it's a big one... the holster makes it very hard for me to bend over to pick up my moon clips with it's forward and in cant.

• 3 weeks later...