Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NRA Action Rules

2alpha

My understanding is that you must use a firearm that has been available for at least 12 months and at least one thousand examples made in that period. No prototypes or pistols that are not generally available to the public.

Minimum calibre is 9x19. No change of calibre from the factory standard for handgun being used. eg if the 1911 style pistol you are going to use is not factory chambered for 359xxx you cannot use that cartridge.

Triggers may be modified for ease of use, but no safety parts may be removed, ie transfer bar on 686.

Minimum amount of internal lightening of slide is allowed, but not too much, as long as it does not conprimise safety. No restriction on barrel length as long as the slide is the same length or if a revolver the gun is/was available with that barrel configuration. Barrel must be exact external dimensions of factory original if it has been replaced, no aftermarket bull barrels.

You can change twist rate of barrel to accomodate your load but barrel must comply with above rule.

External modifications other than weights or recoil control devices are allowed.

Check with the NRA for further info.

Following is verbatim from the NRA Rule book dated January 1, 1999:

3.2 Stock Firearm (Provisional)  - Any factory produced semi-automatic handgun or revolver.  The minimum caliber is 9X19 (9mm).  The firearm must be a production gun available to the general public.  Prototype firearms are specifically not allowed.  A factory produced gun is defined as a caliber specific production type firearm that has been available at the distributors for at least 12 months and that has had a minimum production run of 1000 firearms during that period.  Only the following modifications or alterations are permitted.

1.  No changes of caliber from the factory standard are permitted.

2.  Firearms with custom or installed electrical sights, optical sights, porting of barrels or compensators are specifically not permitted.

3.  Internal modifications to improve accuracy, reliability and function are allowed, e.g. replacement barrels, spherical bushings.

4.  External modifications are not allowed except as follows:

a.  Replacement of factory sights with those of another manufacturer.  The replacement sights must be of a similar design.

b.  Replacement or modification of grips to fit a competitor's hand or facilitate loading.  No part of the grip may encircle the hand.  Thumb rests are prohibited.

3.2.1 Production Firearm - A semi-automatic handgun or revolver which is or has been a catalog item readily available to the general public equipped with metallic sights.  Custom-shop pistols are not allowed.  The pistol shall have no visible external modifications except as follows:

a.  Replacement or modification of grips to fit a competitor's hand or facilitate loading.  No part of the grip may encircle the hand.  Thumb rests are prohibited.

b.  Wide "target" style hammers and triggers.

c.  Checkering and stippling are allowed.

d.  Replacement of factory metallic sights with those of another manufacturer.

e.  External finishes, either protective or decorative, or other non-functional embellishments such as engraving, inlays, or inscriptions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's the complete rule on stock guns as of that book, which is the most recent one published.

Hope this clarifies it for you.

Alan~^~  

• 4 months later...

The differences between "stock" and "production" don't seem that clear to me.

Could someone list some examples of each and why they fit where?

Where would a Kimber Eclipse Target II fit?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have only shot one state level NRA match and I am not real clear on what is allowed on stock guns. I currently shoot a Glock 35 which is legal for stock. I recently purchased an STI Edge and want to have the slide lightened similar to what Brazos custom does to its guns. Will externally visible slide lightening push me out of stock? If it is not legal why would something to make the gun cycle faster be illegal?

Mike4045

Mike,

Stock was an attempt to keep a wide divide between the all out open class firearms and the guys who wanted to shoot with what they could buy. Hence the restrictive rules. Making the slide lighter reduces the moving mass (reduces the recoil forces felt by the shooter as movement) helps make the pistol operate faster. So they wanted to try and level the playing field.

Unfortunately someone read the rules and applied them carefully and lets be honest they pushed them a little. The minute you let the boundaries stretch, someone will try to nudge them a little harder. Hence the state of the guns that were being used at the Cup.

When I shot the 1999 NRA World Shoot with a STOCK S&W 686AFS, just about everyone who shot stock was using a STOCK firearm., scores were not pretty. Over the next few years the rules were nudged and stretched at every opportunity and the powers that be let it happen. (I don't seek to lay blame, just state facts).

The shooters will always look for an edge, I do!

If a pistol has slide lightening that is external, it is currently not allowed. So you take weight of the inside.

You can do what ever you want to the inside of a revolver, just go to Cylinder & Slide and ask Bill. Just don't take bits off. If you have gone with a longslide auto, you are going to have a problem with the moving mass of the slide and barrel. So as they allow no slide lightning to be visible then you can or have to flute the barrel and then trim up the inside of the slide. This is expensive and difficult.

TGO suggested a maiximum size and weight, I was originall opposed to this as I was in favour of the rules as they currently stand, just they had to be enforced properly and consistantly. After some thinking and talking it over with some other shooters I now favour TGO's suggestion, it is more likely to be adhered to as it would be easier to follow. Although I am in favour of adding Brian's idea of a sight radius limit (as per ISSF, Olympic Bullseye to those who don't know).

If they say anything goes within the size and weight limits then you may see open class Steel Guns with iron sights, no dot & no comps. As long as they make PF then go for it.

I hope that the NRA adopt this latter idea (or anything similar) as it will really open up the way the match is shot. Especially if they stick to no touching the barricade, and going prone. Personally I would love to see going prone only allowed in open, everybody else can stand. That will really sort the men from the boys.

They could call the class NRA Limited / Modified????

Interesting sight at the Cup was Rudy Dufour and Mike Voight deep in conversation, I wonder what comes of that. ;)

They could additionally adopt something along the lines of IPSC Production Class. Not immediately but it should be investigated, this will get more guys shooting more guns. Again include the size limits, maybe even make them smaller than for the Limited guns. I know the NRA also has a production Class, but no one shoots it as it is too restrictive.

Just the ramblings of someone who wants to shoot more matches and drinks to much Scotch.

Just as well that I now have four that meet the rules either as they stand or as I see the way they may go. Five if you count the PAra P13-45. Oh shit, six if the CZ-ST that I have on loan from the shop. :D

Hope the wife don't see this.