Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition training books?

Nimitz

Can anyone recommend some good books that cover both the basics of competitive practical shooting as well as skills development and training methods? I'm new to competition shooting and plan to get started with pistol competitons and then maybe move to 3-gun if I really enjoy it. My birthday is coming up and my wife is looking for ideas ...:)

Can anyone recommend some good books that cover both the basics of competitive practical shooting as well as skills development and training methods? I'm new to competition shooting and plan to get started with pistol competitons and then maybe move to 3-gun if I really enjoy it. My birthday is coming up and my wife is looking for ideas ...:)

Books are nice, but I think as a beginner you can get more from a video. Here is a link to some basic tips.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/courses-tips/coaching-clips/

The single book I got the most out of so far is Saul Kirsch's _Thinking Practical Shooting_. Other good ones are Brian's book, Steve Anderson's dry fire book, and _With Winning in Mind_.

The single book I got the most out of so far is Saul Kirsch's _Thinking Practical Shooting_. Other good ones are Brian's book, Steve Anderson's dry fire book, and _With Winning in Mind_.

+1 on all of these.

Mike's book is great for teaching how and why to make a structured shooting program. Brian's book is great for getting the old thinker running and teaching you how to pay attention and learn during the shooting and then turn that into progress.

+1 for Cocobolo. The doublealpha clips are great for straight forward "I want it NOW" info for a new shooter.

Read, watch, THINK, plan, and then execute. Its a fun trip!

• 1 month later...

Mike Seeklander's book is great in my opinion!

I have to agree here. I work well with a structured plan. This book helps you establish your whole program as well as the structure of what to shoot, how many reps, and when to advance.

• 3 weeks later...

Have not read Mike Seeklander's books but will be buying them.

Also recommend:

Steve Anderson's two books

Saul Kirschs's two books

Brian Enos' book

The Inner Game of Tennis (Galway?)

With Winning in mind (Bassham)

Practical Shooting Manual (Matt Burkett)

Mike Plaxco's book

Also recommend videos:

Saul's videos are the best, IMO

Burkett's videos are also good

All the above are good resouce, but are no substitute for a class. That will accelerate your learning far more than anything else you can do.

• 4 weeks later...

Try "10 minute Toughness' by Dr. Jason Selk, this is a great book that will teach you how set yourself up for success mentally and also " Talent is Overrated" by Geoff Colvin, this will teach you what good, "Deliberate or Deep Practice" really is and how to accomplish this methodology for training.

does anyone know where a canuck can buy Mike Seeklanders book? any help is most appreciated.

thanks!

Amazon.com has it both in hard-copy and for the Kindle.

BarnesandNoble.com has it both ways also (although for their "Nook" e-reader).

• 1 month later...

does anyone know where a canuck can buy Mike Seeklanders book? any help is most appreciated.

thanks!

Amazon.com has it both in hard-copy and for the Kindle.

BarnesandNoble.com has it both ways also (although for their "Nook" e-reader).

Looking through all the different books mentioned above it appears that only Mike Seeklander's books are available on an e-reader. Does anyone know of other training books available for the kindle?

In my current situation I attend an IDPA practice match every 1-2 weeks. I do not get much time to practice (live fire) outside of the IDPA matches. Will Mike Seeklander's book be beneficial to someone that can only practice by dry-firing? I am looking for training material for the mental game and for dry firing. Any recommendations?

Mike Seeklander's book and program got me out of a stagnant high C into A class in about a year and a half; highly recommended. Just started reading Brian's book too, great stuff in there. So much great training material out there. awesome thing about this sport is that the top shooters are willing to share there trade secrets with us for very minimal cost; we just gotta put in the work with dryfire and live fire practice.

If you can take a class from a pro that will help big time. one of these years I'll give up going to an Area match and attend a class instead.

In my current situation I attend an IDPA practice match every 1-2 weeks. I do not get much time to practice (live fire) outside of the IDPA matches. Will Mike Seeklander's book be beneficial to someone that can only practice by dry-firing? I am looking for training material for the mental game and for dry firing. Any recommendations?

Seeklander's book has some great dry fire drills with a few dedicated to IDPA. If anything I think the dryfire part of the program was equally if not more beneficial than the live fire portion. extensive dry fire will refine your gun handling, indexing, trigger control, reloads, etc.

I know a couple of good books about dry fire that might just what you need.

When it comes to dry fire, I wrote the book.

(been saving that line for a loooooooooong time.)

:)

Seriously, my first book contains the drills that got me to GM in open in about 9 months...

SA

Thanks,I purchased Mike's e-book this afternoon. I will definitely be buying yours as well.

When it comes to dry fire, I wrote the book.

<...>

Seriously, my first book contains the drills that got me to GM in open in about 9 months...

HAHAHA, nice one, Steve. Well played.

I've been busy chasing your par times in the book for about 6 months now, though usually only doing drills once a week. I've recently started doing your drills more often, but that made me wonder how often you do them. To get GM in 9 months, was that daily dry-fire? I'm obviously not anywhere near that level yet but I'm curious.

And for goal-setting purposes, is using your par times listed in R&R for the drills what is considered GM-level? I'm looking for actionable, measurable goals to set, and your par times are right in front of me so that's what I've been using.

Another book to get would be J. Michael Plaxco's "Shooting From Within". I use it as a companion book to Brian's, as it explains the mental aspect in a less-detailed and sometimes easier-to-digest manner.

Although he's pretty much retired now, he was quite a shooter and pistolsmith back in his heyday and a member of the U.S. National team for numerous World Shoots. (You Open guys can thank him for your compensators at any time.) :cheers: