Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Books for IPSC shooter

kdj

I've probably gone through every book remotely related to the IPSC game in the past few months, in print and some that are not. Here's my take on the "must reads" for some one starting from the beginning with aspirations to be good enough to write their own book some day.

There are already many comments on most of these here but this might show up in a search :-). These are the books that have made the biggest difference to me so far.

1. Matt Burkett's Practical Shooting Manual

A very succinct summary of everything you need to know to successfully get off the ground in the game. There's very little unnecessary verbage in this book but there's an amazing amount of information delivered in a few words.

2. J. Michael Plaxco's Shooting from Within

More exposition on many of the same topics. Some of the specifics seem dated but the general concepts and attitudes are well described. This book phrased a number of things in ways that made sense to me. It describes some of the inner aspects of the sport.

3. Brian Enos' Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals

By far the deepest book on shooting that I've come across. There's enough here to keep the reader revisiting for a long time.

Any one of these would provide a good guide. I found all three taken together cover the space.

4. Steve Anderson's Refinement and Repition: Dry fire Drills for Dramatic improvement

Less complete than any of the others since it focuses only on a specific aspect of training but very worthwhile and IMHO the best way to see rapid progress, especially for a beginner.

There might be others in this class and if I come across them, I'll extend my list. I'm also amazed at how many bad books there are out there but I chose not to talk about those.

Just my opinion,

Kevin

• 1 month later...

I've heard plenty mention another book, The Inner Game of Tennis by W. Timothey Gallwey, and I'd like to add it to the list of must reads.

I don't know if its still being printed I could only find it second hand, and at a third of the price of a Remington O ring it was a huge bargain!

The Inner Game of Tennis is good. I also recommend Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect. I honestly believe that my becoming Washington State IDPA Champion (CDP) in 2002 can be directly related to my reading this book about a week before the match. I kid you not.

• 1 month later...

I got alot out of With Winning In Mind,And i am reading The Inner Game Of Tennis right now and am getting alot out of it to. Both are good.I picked up a new book yesterday called Creative Visualazation,Havent read it yet but it looks like it might be good.I cant remember the author but if anyone is intersted i will post it.

Steve

Edited by steve223

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
I've heard plenty mention another book, The Inner Game of Tennis by W. Timothey Gallwey, and I'd like to add it to the list of must reads.

I don't know if its still being printed I could only find it second hand, and at a third of the price of a Remington O ring it was a huge bargain!

I ran across a copy of IGT at the bookstore the other day. Had it not been for the mentions on this forum, I probably would have ignored it. Since I'd heard it mentioned as a possible USPSA reference, I began thumbing through it, I couldn't put it down. It belongs in every practical shooter's library.

Read IGT, then read BE's book again, I bet you get a lot more this time around.

• 1 month later...

A couple other lesser known books come to mind... An all-time favorite - The Pistol Shooter's Treasury, published by Gil Hebard. This classic is actually a collection of writings by old-time Bullseye shooters, compiled and edited by Gil. (The price on mine is $4.95! And flipping through it, I got the chills when I saw Bill Blankenship's signature and comments on his chapter.) While it may not seem relevant to IPSC shooting, I guarantee you'll find the discussions on winning mental attitude beneficial, no matter what you are doing. The cool thing is that you get a "winning perspective" from a group of champions. And I'm betting everyone will be able to find one champion's view that they can relate to. The message I got from the book is that the champions all "did the same thing," although, depending on their personality, they "did it" in different ways.

Another book I learned quite a bit from initially was Bill Pullum's first book - Position Rifle Shooting. Even though it's written from more of a "classical concentration" approach than an open, spontaneous mindset - his analysis of the winners vs. the losers thought processes was helpful in the beginning.

My "no serious student of shooting's library should be without it" is Ed McGivern's,

Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting. You kinda gotta weed through it, but the gems are worth it. And it has (what I'd consider) a hidden message or theme that is especially relevant to the modern day IPSC shooter. Maybe we'll save that for a trivia question...

be

• 4 weeks later...

Thinking Practical Shooting.

I tried to find Sauls email address to ask a question. Perhaps this is the wrong place to ask it but here goes.

This is an excellant book but I am puzzled about 1 paragraph.

On page 32 paragraph 2, item 2 it says that "a miss cost you 15 points". If its a miss of a single

target this would be 5 * 2 hits = 10 points right. Where did the 15 points come from?