Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If you were to suggest two books, and one video...

pangris

I'm looking to buy a couple books, and maybe a video. I am a complete FNG, "U" class shooter :)

I'm inclined to buy Brians book -but what else do people find relaly helps?

And DVD is better than video... if possible.

After you've read and watched....

Find a hands-on class from a good teacher. Most of the name shooters run classes. I learned more in a weekend from Matt Burkett than I'd learned in 3 years on my own. B)

After you've read and watched....

Find a hands-on class from a good teacher.    Most of the name shooters run classes.  I learned more in a weekend from Matt Burkett than I'd learned in 3 years on my own.  B)

I know what you mean. Thunder Ranch taught me more in three days than I'd learned in all my years of shooting.... I'll be finding a class soon. I've e-mailed a couple people to find out what their schedules are like...

Great advice from all, and advice I myself have followed, having all the above named resources, as well as Barnhart's complete series (very good) and having taken courses from Jarrett, Burkett, Cooley, Garcia, and Cirillo. The one thing I haven't done is go to a tactical shooting school such as Gunsite, TR or LFI.

One more piece of advice, if I may: Go practice.

All the above has given me great training and insights into shooting a pistol, as well as providing great inspiration. But if you don't follow it up by regularly practicing what you learn, you'll won't develop your skills and will end up in a rut, something I have personal experience with.

There is an old video that I still think is relevant.

IPSC Secrets by Lenny Magill with Brian Enos

Covers a lot of areas and gives you a very good idea on what you should do and how to do it. It did for me anyway.

As for books, I never read or purchased any for shooting.

Brian

I would recommend Avery's video series..sorry it isn't in DVD..this really routes you in the fundamentals and building that platform..I have seen MB vol 4 and 5 only so I really can't tell about vol. 1-3.

I suggest you take Brian's book in doses as it really is deep.. but this book allows you to keep your eyes on the ball..great stuff!

Actually for a brand spanking FNG I wouldn't recommend Brian's Book!

I would recommend Matt's Vol 1-3 DVD's, they are exceptional at showing a FNG what he needs to know.

I would also buy Matt's Book, forgot the name though (sorry matt!) :)

And the third book would be Steve's Dryfire book. It provides focus for your practice and will really help you get comfortable with your gun.

• 2 months later...
Actually for a brand spanking FNG I wouldn't recommend Brian's Book!

I would recommend Matt's Vol 1-3 DVD's, they are exceptional at showing a FNG what he needs to know.

I would also buy Matt's Book, forgot the name though (sorry matt!) :)

And the third book would be Steve's Dryfire book. It provides focus for your practice and will really help you get comfortable with your gun.

Where can I get Steve Anderson's "Dry Fire"Book?

THANKS.

baron45

Thanks for the recommendations everyone! And be sure to call if you don't see the "combo deal" you're looking for in my online store, and we'll figure one out for you.

BTW, I'm currently working on a new ecommerce system for my site, which will feature the super-coolest combo deal ordering interface seen by man.

;)

I suggest hard chroming the covers of Brian's and Steve's books.. they get used alot. :D

I have the Brukett series and it's great, but personallyI'd say I get more from taping myself and analysing that than seeing someone else shoot.

Another great video resource is "The Burner" series from Jerry Barnhart. I learned quite a bit from him when I was starting out. As an added bonus, it's neat to see him get more comfortable in front of the camera as the tapes progress.

Brian's book is a must have, like all the guys have said. He covers the mental aspect of the game better than anyone and the information is transferrable.

Liota