Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to shoot first?

Example stage:

3 paper targets, one at 5m, one at 10m and one at 15m

1 plate at 15m

targets are very close to each other, no big transitions

How would you shoot this stage? No movement allowed.

In one of the TGOs lessons on americanshooter.com he said that do the draw and possible reloads on easy (close) targets, whereas I've read that at least the draw should be done on the most difficult target. Of course this has a lot to do with the shooter's skills and even personality (how eager are you to break that shot on the plate), but that's what I'm looking for, different ways to shoot it and WHY you would shoot it that way.

I'd shoot it plate, 15m, 10m, 5m

This should've been a poll... <_<

I would shoot it

papertarget 5, 10, 15 plate

Reason, quick draw at the 5 m taget,

Possibility to correct small inclomplete details in my grip

while shooting the " easy" targets.

Shooting the 15 m papertargets preapares me for the needed precision and kind of focussing i would need for the plate.

But thats my way i would do it and i know from experience that this is the fastest way for me at the moment.

Very curious for other options and reasons.

Nice post cz75ipsc

Greetings

Adrie

CZ,

I'd do it your way if this was the starting position of a long course (don't want to leave the steel as last shot, plus I could easily shoot the 5m target while leaving the position), but for standing shoot only (i.e. short course) I'd rather do the reverse order.

Let's do the math (I'm awfully slow, I know): draw and 2 shots on 5m target = 1.2, transition and 2 shots on 2nd target = .5s, transition and 2 shots on 3rd target = .6s, transition and shot on steel plate = .4s; total 2.7 seconds.

In your order (for me): draw and shoot the steel plate = 1.5s, transition and 2 shots on 15m target = 0.7, transition and 2 shots on 2nd target = .6s, transition and 2 shots on 3rd target = .4s, total 3.2 seconds.

The reason for me is the time I gain on the first shot on the 5m target. If I shoot the farthest target I'll waste time (in acquiring the target) that cannot be balanced by speed on the last ones; if I shoot the closest, I'll gain a time advantage, and the time for acquisition of the farthest target is already included in the transitioning time.

I hope I have explained myself sufficiently well... :wacko:

With the hardest target at 15 yds I would probably shoot it left to right. That is the most efficient path and the transitions would chew up more time than the savings would amount to.

Leo

can't say how I would shoot it till I saw the stage.

Will shooting the 5m or 10mm target throw up dust or mud obscuring the other targets.

Do you start facing all targets directly?

Are the targets in a direct diaganol line infront of you? I don't like to bounce the gun around. I prefer to "walk" a line.

Are the heights of all targets the same? I prefer to shoot low to high.

Is the stage only the 3 targets and 1 plate, or do you need to move after this position?

If the lighting is fine, all targets are the same height, in a straight line and this is the only position for the stage, then I will shoot near to far finishing on the plate.

The idea is that this is the whole stage, no movement afterwards.

Skywalker, I've never even thought about "counting" the stage shot per shot, but when I did, I found that close to far was fastest for me too :o

Am I the only one who has read somewhere that shoot the smallest target after the draw? That the big dogs do this?

And since you asked, let's say the stage is like this:

P1----T3

---------T2

------------T1

---Box A

All targets are on the same level

At the level I'm at now, I've learned that I can actually get better times if I draw to the harder (farther) target first, then work my way closer. I think the reasons why it works better for me are:

1. My draw is still relatively slow, and I'm not significantly slower on long targets than I am on close targets AS LONG AS I AM USING MY SIGHTS.

2. I can do much faster transitions going from far to near, and the time difference more than makes up for any delay on the draw.

Perhaps when my skill level progresses, I will be more like the others!

If I understand it correctly MB's Vol. 4 CD teaches to take the first/closest open target of the array. It is the best one on the draw and builds confidence for the stage. I believe he even proved it with a sample stage.

Our local Master class mentor has always professed taking the best A shot from the draw.

I've been more of a left to righter because it just feels more natural, but this year I'm taking the easy shot first.

Just a test...

Depending on the the size of the plate, I may draw to the plate and go far to near.It is always easier to go faster going from far to near.But then again,if it is a small plate I may go paper, far to near, and finish on the steel.I have seen several gm's do it both ways.

The only reason on most stages I start with the hard target is if it is a hard target to set up on like at an angle or around a vision obstruction. I did see David S. on the OLN Shooting Gallery say he likes to finish up on the closest target. I don't like shooting right to left but I still would as long as I didn't have to leave the box to engauge anything else.

I often practice with a target array just like this.

I have shot it both ways, near to far and far to near.

The timer shows a much better result for near to far.

If this was just the first array of a longer stage, then you might reconsider, depending on the movement required after this array. But, as a short stage, I think that near to far is going to be faster for most people.

Regards

Peter

Most likely near to far.

The only thing that makes me uncertain is this: I am right handed and right eye dominant, so when I have a few targets close to each other I tend to see better immediately to the right of the gun, than immediately to the left of it. Hence, I may choose to shoot it from left to right regardless of near/far order just to get faster transitions. I have not heard from anyone else about this issue, so it might be just one of my personal limitations.

For a static stage, Near to Far.

.8 + .15, + .2 + .15, + .2 + .2, + .25

. 95 . 35 .4 . 25

The stage can be done in 1.95 seconds or faster by a fast A shooter or higher.

Brian