Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheaper Brass Polish

Little Bill

In my search to find a cheaper alternative brass polish, I set out looking for some Pine-Ola. (As talked about on this board in the past) I was unable to find that stuff anywhere. I went to Pine-Ola's parent webpage and looked for dealers in KC, and found a few, but no one stocks it anymore. But.....

I did find a substance called "Parks Brass Re-Furbisher" $3.50 - 16oz

The label states: "Removes tarnish, grime, clear finishes, and paint from brass, copper, and bronze."

The contents are: Methyl Ethyl Ketone, Isopropanol, D-Limonene, and Aluminum Oxide.

The thing that concerns me is that the label says to "Avoid contact with plastic, rubber, fiberglass, or synthetic surfaces."

Will this stuff eat my Dillon tumbler?

Does anyone know if this stuff will be good to use? or used it before?

Thanks!

The solvent will attack the lid of the tumbler. Absolutely do NOT put it or anything else containing Acetone or MEK into your tumbler. (Don't ask me how I know this.... :ph34r: )

I guess I'm going to have to become a PineOla dealer :P. That stuff rocks.

Guest Larry Cazes

Have you tried the One-Shot polish yet? I find it works well and is pretty economical since you only need a touch of it at a time. I believe that I paid $6.50 for the last bottle I bought.

You really want to stay away from MEK, 111, and a few other very long name chemicals.

None of these are good for you.

Personally I use some very well worn corncob.walnut mix that has had many capsful of either Dillon or Flitz poured in.

We can get too cheap you know.

Jim

I broke down and went to Cabelas and got some plain ol' brass polish. I also went by Petco and got some fresh corn cob. The combination is "Bling-Bling"....shiny-clean brass. Thanks for all of the tips.

Travis-

Do you shoot at Mill Creek or Cap City? I am trying to think if we have met....

Dillons is goog but expensive, I buy Midway polish 16oz size whenit is on sale. It is on sale 2 or 3 times a year so I stock up. Have tried mag wheel polish but it is more expensive then Dillons, and they all work the same for me. Seems the more brass I polish at once the better it works so I load up the Dillon 2001 to max capacity.

Jim

Forgot to mention I also buy 100lbs bulk corn cob media from Mt Pulaski Products out of Illinois. Great stuff, lasts a long time and in bulk is very reasonable.

Jim

turtle wax 2001 car polish!

I would be very careful using any polish that is not designed for handgun brass. Automotive cleaners may contain chemicals such as ammonia, which is harmful to brass. Don’t risk destroying expensive brass by trying to save a few pennies on the wrong type of brass polish.

• 1 month later...

My Quest has ended!! After several months I FINIALLY found a local antique dealer that stocks Pine-Ola. Bought a 16oz. bottle of the stuff for $7.95, which if it works as well is a good deal cheaperthan the Dillon rapid polish. :D:D

• 1 month later...

Did I miss what was wrong with Brasso?

There is a lady shooting the KY-IN region with a nice polish for about $7. Her name is Krista Toby. I am currently using it and it is very effective with just a small dose. She also does VV powders. :wub:

Watch out for strong solvents like MEK and Isopropanol. Acetone falls into the same category.

TomB

Edited to add: The three solvents above are commonly used to rinse out equipment that mixes other chemicals, and then these three evaporate. Standard operating procedures for these chemicals is to wear rubber gloves and DO NOT breathe.