Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking about a Beretta for SSP/Production

skdmrklcy

I went out with my HK today and we are not getting along all that well.

If I wanted to try a Beretta which of current production choices are the way to go?

I have tried to like Glock and can not do it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is an option, I like the one with the full rail which is problematic.

I shot a Beretta today and did well with it, which is why I am looking at them.

Never shot a CZ personally so I am leery.

I actually point a Sig better than anything else. I just can not shoot one to save my life... I always hit the slide release with my thumb.

I keep avoiding the CZ's maybe after buying just about all the other options I should take a shot.

An elite model or a G model Beretta. They have dockers only. I have been burnt twice within the past couple of weeks while racking the slide and inadvertently applying the safety on an FS model.

Trick is, get what you shoot the best. Only way to know what that is, is to shoot as many different guns as possible. Just don't rule any of them out without shooting them first. It'll save you money and grief in the long run.

Variety is the spice of life, and I sometimes shoot guns because I want to shoot a certain gun, Guns win matches for a reason, a great shooter can win with less than perfect gear but that doesnt mean he wouldnt do better with better gear. Look at major match results in production and IDPA ssp, look at the winners and top shooters, wont take long to notice a trend, Beretta wont be part of that trend.

Joe Ford wrote:

Look at major match results in production and IDPA ssp, look at the winners and top shooters, wont take long to notice a trend, Beretta wont be part of that trend.

dude, I don't even know where to begin. :unsure:

My typical response to the marketing ploy known as the "bandwagon"...."hey, everybody is shooting a Glock or an M&P, so you should too!" is what your parents would say....

"If everyone jumped off a bridge....."

For me, telling someone which gun they should or should NOT shoot is akin to telling them which religion they should practice. I just wouldn't do it, unsolicited.

I think the next time someone tells me to ditch the Beretta, I am going to ask them for a $2,000 loan for an STI limited division racegun in .40 with 5 working mags. :roflol:

The M&P is my fall back if I can't find a metal gun to fall in love with. I had a stock Pro for a bit and it was okay but I didn't like the feel of the trigger.

I had not tried to change it to an Apex so that is the fall back if all else fails. I can't do a Glock I have tried, a half dozen times, just not me.

I am not going to be competitive for awhile, so anything I shoot will make me better. When I get faster to the point equipment is my issue, I plan to move to one of them STI Space Guns.... till then I will try a Beretta or CZ.

Joe Ford wrote:

Look at major match results in production and IDPA ssp, look at the winners and top shooters, wont take long to notice a trend, Beretta wont be part of that trend.

dude, I don't even know where to begin. :unsure:

My typical response to the marketing ploy known as the "bandwagon"...."hey, everybody is shooting a Glock or an M&P, so you should too!" is what your parents would say....

"If everyone jumped off a bridge....."

For me, telling someone which gun they should or should NOT shoot is akin to telling them which religion they should practice. I just wouldn't do it, unsolicited.

I think the next time someone tells me to ditch the Beretta, I am going to ask them for a $2,000 loan for an STI limited division racegun in .40 with 5 working mags. :roflol:

Competition causes that which works to rise to the top and that which doesnt fall to the wayside, bandwagon effect can only take you so far. Guns win because, they are reliable, accurate, ergonomics suitable for the game, after market support, durable,

The safety / decocker set up on a Berreta to put it nicely, sucks, the guns dont have a track record of long term durability, DA/SA transition just isnt as good as a striker fired system, there are simply better platforms for the job and looking at the winners circle will tell you what those platforms are.

Shooting is also a game and for most of us done for entertainment. I shoot guns becasue I want to, I once shot a IDPA match with a 1858 Remington one cap and ball cylinder and a 45 LC conversion cylinder, freaked the SO out a bit when I did the whole cylinder change. I had fun, but I'm not gonna delude myself into thinking it's the best tool for the job.

The berreta is a fine gun, accurate reliable, probably last long enough for most people, mags are cheap, needs a better front sight, but most guns do,can take you up the ranks, you would just probably move up faster and farther with a better gun for the job.

I shoot guns becasue I want to, I once shot a IDPA match with a 1858 Remington one cap and ball cylinder and a 45 LC conversion cylinder, freaked the SO out a bit when I did the whole cylinder change. I had fun, but I'm not gonna delude myself into thinking it's the best tool for the job.

That is way cool! :cheers:

I have an 1851 Colt Walker Dragoon....No cylinder conversions for that....Reckon they'd freak totally out with me bringing a powder horn, cap and balls to the line? Besides that, it would be worht it to reload on the line....time to let the smoke clear.... :roflol:

Trevor,

I'm a Production GM. I've shot with most of the top Production GM's. There is nothing wrong with the Beretta.

In fact, most of the Production Grand Masters here in Area 5 made GM using a Beretta as their workhorse....including: Steve Anderson, Jake DiVita, Steve Moneypenny, Ben Stoeger, ... (most of the rest of us used a Glock)

If a Glock doesn't fit you, it doesn't fit you. A Berretta would be a fine choice.

(FWIW... our US World Shoot Team is comprised of 4 guys, with 4 different guns. There is a Glock, Beretta, CZ and M&P. The Glock and Beretta are shooter choices...as in, the shooters are not sponsored by their gun maker.)

Pick one that fits you and practice away!

Trevor,

I'm a Production GM. I've shot with most of the top Production GM's. There is nothing wrong with the Beretta.

In fact, most of the Production Grand Masters here in Area 5 made GM using a Beretta as their workhorse....including: Steve Anderson, Jake DiVita, Steve Moneypenny, Ben Stoeger, ... (most of the rest of us used a Glock)

If a Glock doesn't fit you, it doesn't fit you. A Berretta would be a fine choice.

(FWIW... our US World Shoot Team is comprised of 4 guys, with 4 different guns. There is a Glock, Beretta, CZ and M&P. The Glock and Beretta are shooter choices...as in, the shooters are not sponsored by their gun maker.)

Pick one that fits you and practice away!

Once again, words of wisdom from Flex....He's absolutely right....I could have a $10,000 production pistol, and he would beat me with a Hi-Point.... :roflol:

The only trend I notice with the folks in the "winner's circle" is that they have been dedicated or disciplined enough to practice with whatever platform they have chosen to get behind, literally.

It's an often enough repeated mantra on this forum... "it's the Indian not the arrow".

The only trend I notice with the folks in the "winner's circle" is that they have been dedicated or disciplined enough to practice with whatever platform they have chosen to get behind, literally.

It's an often enough repeated mantra on this forum... "it's the Indian not the arrow".

All very true.....But even the best indian can't hit squat if his arrow is too warped.....

I know I'm opening myself up here, but does anyone really think that the GM's Flex mentioned would be GM's if their chosen platform had been a Hi-Point or Jenning's? Yes, they probably could shoot those two better than I can shoot my CZ, but at a GM level?

I would almost be interested enough to buy a Hi-Point (that's less than a days pay! :rolleyes: ), give it to a GM (Flex comes to mind, as I think he might could do it without any bias or pre-conceptions.... :cheers: ) and have him shoot it in a match. After it has been proven to run consistently, of course....We don't want it stopping mid-shoot with a malf...It would be interesting...Then, at the end of the match, we could either say "Well, it's defintiely the Indian..." or "Well, that arrow is terrible...". What ya say, Flex? Up for it? Donate the gun to charity afterwards, or if you do well, keep it for your next match?

I'm serious....Not to prove a point, but just to prove it one way or the other....

I've been shooting matches with my little G26 this year. Next week, I'll be shooting Steel Challenge with a J-frame.

Your experiment would be fruitless...as nobody would change their minds. ... I shot a Glock in Limited, back before Glock became popular (I get a chuckle out of the "Glock fanboy" comments...as they were looked down upon when I started).

Nobody would change their minds...because the top shooters already know...and the underclassmen would just caulk it up to some "special powers" that the

GM has. rolleyes.gif I've seen it play out like that for years now. People believe their own bias to be truth. How can they not?

I am still leaning toward a Beretta, I don't have one... if nothing else it is the cheapest option. I can not find an Elite, so it looks like a stock M9 or 92FS... I know I want a decocker only, but I have not found one that has that stock. Is that added on?

I don't care for the grip angle on the Glock I get bit too much. I know I could modify the grip but then it is not SSP or Production legal.

It's not added on....What you are looking for is the Beretta Model 92G, which was made for the French Government....Here are a few for sale....I'm amazed they are so cheap....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SearchResults.aspx

G Models

The G models (designed for the French "Gendarmerie Nationale") were adopted by the French Military as PAMAS ; they feature a manual decocking lever only instead of the safety-decocking lever of the 92 FS. When the decocking lever is released, it automatically returns to the ready to fire position. There is no manual safety.

Edited by GrumpyOne