Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Engaging Targets from under a wall – What is the proper call

CHA-LEE

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote no FTE for these reasons:

1. Freestyle rules say we can engage targets as they become visible.
  2. The rules defining hardcover only say it is impenetrable, not opaque.
  3. An FTE is only incurred when a shooter fails to "shoot at" a target.

Thus, according to the OP, we have a scenario where a shooter can see a target through transparent hardcover, shoot at it, but still not produce scoring hits (because of said hardcover).

Reminds me of this scene from Assassins:

Later on in the movie, Banderas takes a shot at Stallone through the glass because he "had to try..."

The shooter didn't shoot at a target - he shot at a wall.

Or did he shoot at a target with a wall in the way?

I have all ready spit out the only far-fetched idea I can come up with and now have a headach.

So.

No FTE rule # (Troy said he engaged the target)

Post # 177

The shooter shot the stage by skipping the intended shooting position for engaging the lay down target between the walls and then engaged the target by shooting under the wall from a different location.

Edited by bluenite

I have all ready spit out the only far-fetched idea I can come up with and now have a headach.

So.

No FTE rule # (Troy said he engaged the target)

The shooter shot the stage by skipping the intended shooting position for engaging the lay down target between the walls and then engaged the target by shooting under the wall from a different location.

There is no "under the wall." He shot into the wall.

Look at it like this... How far can you miss a target by before its an FTE? 2 feet? 3 feet? If the target in question was 20 feet behind the hardcover, the shooter missed said target by 20 feet, as the bullets did not go through the hardcover. Or like this... Wide open target, shooter puts 2 rounds down range, 20 feet to the right of the target, into the been. Did he engage that target? FTE.

For that analogy to line up with the scenario here, there would have to be a "beer can tall hole" in one side of the cooler.... :D

Nope, because in the given instance, there was no way to shoot the target from the position the OP specified.

Huh? Then how do you explain the missing 2 feet of wall surface and the bullet holes in the target.....

Thus, according to the OP, we have a scenario where a shooter can see a target through transparent hardcover, shoot at it, but still not produce scoring hits (because of said hardcover).

Later on in the movie, Banderas takes a shot at Stallone through the glass because he "had to try..."

Reading the shooter's mind now, are we?

Reading the shooter's mind now, are we?

It's immaterial what the shooter thought he was shooting at. He may have thought he was shooting a legitimate target, but was shooting a wall.

For that analogy to line up with the scenario here, there would have to be a "beer can tall hole" in one side of the cooler.... :D

Nope, because in the given instance, there was no way to shoot the target from the position the OP specified.

Huh? Then how do you explain the missing 2 feet of wall surface and the bullet holes in the target.....

Nik, I think you are playing for sure now, because I know you know that the rulebook says that wall extend to the ground even if the physical wall doesn't unless specified and the OP said there was not an exception on this stage.

The bullet holes don't exist per the rule book, because they hit the part of the wall that extends to the ground per the rulebook and is impenetrable.

Read post number 177... I think that I am going to take this as a lesson learned and go with what Troy posted. 2 mikes and 1 FTE.

I read Troy's post, 177, three times. He did NOT say it was anything, he just asked questions to try to get people looking at the rulebook...

For those of you confused, the shooter did not shoot at, or through an "actual" wall. He shot through a 2' x 8' opening, so the target was clearly visible.

I know why he did what he did, but it is really irrelevant as "intent" of the shooter, stage designer etc. never matters in USPSA.

Edited by MarkCO