Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load Development for Pistols?

cache

First read the pinned section right here. Reloading, Load Data, and Reloading Press Forums . Then start reading the rest using the search function to guide you( put here to keep out the search police ). There's truly everything you want to know right here, except the part where you actually load something and try it. Best of luck. :cheers:

1. read reloading manuals

2. start below max charges

3. reload 5 rounds and different charge weights in .2grs increases

4. load one round at a time, incase something goes wrong.

5. does the load make your gun function right.

6. is the load accurate in your gun. some loads will work in one gun and not another even if their the same model.

7 do they meet the specs needed for the job you want to do? hunting,target shooting or competition

Do the reading and talking with reloaders in your area. Ask how long they have been reloading.

Some will give you some good advice. Good ideas here on the forums just take it compare loads before charging into something.

I suggest working up slow and use a chronograph so you know where the power factor at that your loading for.

Once I have something worked up, I'll shoot groups usually at peel and stick dots on paper to see how the load shoots.

It's got to be accurate and small changes can effect how a load preforms in your gun. Just a small load change of powder or OAL can change group size, crimp comes into play also.

Usually crimp as light as you can, load as long as you can and the rounds run through the magazine. Always load ten or so then check them in a magazine. While this usually works each pistol may like something different. It's a trial and error method till you find the load your gun likes best.

+1 on the above advice

Do the reading and talking with reloaders in your area. Ask how long they have been reloading.

Some will give you some good advice. Good ideas here on the forums just take it compare loads before charging into something.

I suggest working up slow and use a chronograph so you know where the power factor at that your loading for.

Once I have something worked up, I'll shoot groups usually at peel and stick dots on paper to see how the load shoots.

It's got to be accurate and small changes can effect how a load preforms in your gun. Just a small load change of powder or OAL can change group size, crimp comes into play also.

Usually crimp as light as you can, load as long as you can and the rounds run through the magazine. Always load ten or so then check them in a magazine. While this usually works each pistol may like something different. It's a trial and error method till you find the load your gun likes best.

+1 on the above advice

+2.... I mostly got good help here on BE's search and got info from some of the pro's here, I would give you the name of a few , but I dont want GMBart, Dubois, Yungeyes to get grumpy like Grumpyone, for givin there names out.... Lol. :goof:

Edited by MARKAVELI

How do you determine a load to use?

I start with:

1. what am I going to do with the load? (target, hunting, self defense, IPSC/IDPA?

2. decide on lead or jacketed bullets

Then I post a question re: that caliber, for that purpose, and type of bullets I want to shoot,

and see what others have done - (actually, I just look thru the existing posts, since most of

them are already here to be found).

Good luck,

Jack