Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thinking abt XD 9 4'

john52

I have a question, I have a Sa 1911 45 acp. I have been thinking abt getting an XD 4" 9 cal. I also plan on using it for ccw. I really like the 1911 alot , done some work to fit my hand better for better purchase. I want to get an XD for concealed and use for idpa. I have spoke to quite a few people and said just stay with the 1911. I reload for 38/357 Ruger revolver and the 1911. I think for me concealed the 1911 too big but a great gun. Any suggestions?

In IDPA the XD is in the ESP division. I think its a great gun for CC and matches. Not very many people around here shoot the XD. So not everyone has extra gear(mags, holsters, mag pouches) and parts at matches. With good defense ammo, I don't think the 9mm round is lacking. Many holster companies make IWB holsters, so no problem there.

I think just about anyone at a match would let you give there pistol a try. Heck most would probably let you run it in the match.

• 2 months later...

The XD9 Service is a great gun. I have put around 8000 rds through mine of varying loads (factory and hand) from the 'just functions' for steel up to 'on the upper limit' for defensive loads, not a single hiccup. I did a grip chop and stipple on mine, which makes it that little bit more concealable and with using full size mags and grip extensions it is still great for steel/targets etc. Very adapatable in this form.

I teach advanced/defensive handgun and the XD is one of the best out of the box guns for this as it points naturally and is 100% reliable. Like it so much that I have a 5.25 arriving at my dealers this week as I am now pretty set on XDs/XD(M)s.