Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor shooting backtops/traps?

KungFuNerd

I just ordered a WE 1911 Gas Blowback, extra mag, gas and BB's

I have a 'man cave' space that I can use but can't leave it set up.

I also would like to minimize BBs rolling around all over the floor as much as possible.

Will probably pickup a sticky target trap for my home office.

Thinking already about building PVC Target stands but looking for some good tips on backstops/traps.

A Packing blanket seems like a good option to protect a large wall and stop ricochet.

Guessing cardboard boxes will trap if filled with newspaper.

I'm also going to look for some large Foam or insulation panels that would be just soft enough to trap BBs

I think that compressed Insulation panels might work and you could just pin targets to that.

Could face it with cardboard to keep the insulation from getting chewed up too quickly.

Ideas?

Edited by KungFuNerd

I have a bunch of different targets setups but not much in the way of traps. If you set up a box behind your targets with any kind of an angled deflector made up of about anything that will direct the bbs to the bottom and anything that will deaden the bounce will retain most of the BBS. Unless you're the worlds worst shot continued bb strikes in a concentrated area will wear it out quickly.

Take a look at my site as I have photographs of my many target setups.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/MesaACC

/

Hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy shooting are airsoft as much as I do.

jk

For target traps, I just happened to have a few "Priority Mail" boxes (approx 10" x 16" x 2")from the Post Office. I stapled a wash cloth inside the back of the box and used a wire clothes hanger to hang the box from a PVC target stand. So far this catches all the bb's. I print out targets on 8-1/2" x 11" paper and tape or staple to the box.

Bill

I have three full size humanoid target boxes I made out of MDF. I even have the perfect backstop material and a way to funnel the bb's. The backs of the target boxes were drilled with a couple of Keyhole shapes so they can be hung on the wall, slipped off their mounting screws and placed out of sight out of mind. For variety I have different mounting heights and angles.

If you were in the St. Louis area I would probably give them away for free just to clear up room out of my shop. My Airsoft gun has been broke for a while.

Chills,

I was JUST there...have a relative in IL just outside of St Louis.

I just came up with a simple solution.

I hung a Tension curtain rod in an open closet doorway.

Hang a sheet/blanket/beach towel from it.

The fabric hangs down into a plastic storage bin to catch the BB's.

Can run string or another rod across to hang targets.

Should work well.

Cost me zero dollars as I had some extra curtain rods laying around.

If I get really crazy....

I thought about drawing or taping the shapes of targets onto Fabric.

For times I want to do tons of reps and I don't need to see holes in the target

Edited by KungFuNerd

• 4 months later...

where are you planning to get the "sticky" target trap from, I am real interested.

I also would like to minimize BBs rolling around all over the floor as much as possible.

Thinking already about building PVC Target stands but looking for some good tips on backstops/traps.

A Packing blanket seems like a good option to protect a large wall and stop ricochet.

I'm also going to look for some large Foam or insulation panels that would be just soft enough to trap BBs

I think that compressed Insulation panels might work and you could just pin targets to that.

Could face it with cardboard to keep the insulation from getting chewed up too quickly.

Ideas?

Thanks for that info, will check it out, as I need to set something up this winter or I will not be able to train like I need to.

I have a bunch of different targets setups but not much in the way of traps. If you set up a box behind your targets with any kind of an angled deflector made up of about anything that will direct the bbs to the bottom and anything that will deaden the bounce will retain most of the BBS. Unless you're the worlds worst shot continued bb strikes in a concentrated area will wear it out quickly.

Take a look at my site as I have photographs of my many target setups.

http://games.groups....m/group/MesaACC

/

Hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy shooting are airsoft as much as I do.

jk

That sounds like a good approach, I have been playing with how to contain all of the bbs when training and this could be good.

Chills,

I was JUST there...have a relative in IL just outside of St Louis.

I just came up with a simple solution.

I hung a Tension curtain rod in an open closet doorway.

Hang a sheet/blanket/beach towel from it.

The fabric hangs down into a plastic storage bin to catch the BB's.

Can run string or another rod across to hang targets.

Should work well.

Cost me zero dollars as I had some extra curtain rods laying around.

If I get really crazy....

I thought about drawing or taping the shapes of targets onto Fabric.

For times I want to do tons of reps and I don't need to see holes in the target

Edited by MQW

Ideas?

The best type of backstop, he's using a large box. Put in a angle piece of almost anything that the BB can't penetrate. This will deflect the BB down to the bottom of the box and any sort of soft material will stop the bounce. You can clip your targets to nylon string for fishing line strung across the front of the target. Size of the backstop is simply limited by the size of your area.

Let me know what you work out.

falcor