Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for input on a Clay busting Shotgun

skdmrklcy

The Model 12 for trap is an excellent choice. The top of the heap single barrel trap gun is the Silver Seitz. The Seitz is a break open single barrel gun that was designed after the pointing qualities of the Model 12. If you put the guns side by side you will see the similarity. A very nice Model 12 Trap can be found for $1000 - 1500 range. The Seitz is in the $14-15,000 range. The Broadway and Lightening are excellent choices for trap doubles. and ccan be found quite reasonabably priced.

• 3 months later...

Im and avid sporting clays and skeet shooter. I've bought and sold alot of shotgunn in the eternal quest for THE GUN. I'm a longtime gas gun shooter. The 1100-1187's narrow combs fit most people and are great as long as they are properly maintained. Ive shot them for years and have several in the safe that I still shoot on occasion. For me, a 30" Beretta 391 Urika II works well for everything. I shoot in the 90's in trap skeet and sporting with it. They easy to maintain, adjustable, soft shooting, and wont break the bank.

Basic choice is Auto or O/U make that one first.

I shopped around and ended up with a used Beretta 687. Like has been said Berettas are wider Brownings are deeper, both made well. Most of the new Brownings are ported though and I don't like ports. Clays is the main thing I use it for but it will shoot skeet just fine. There is a significant advantage to using the same shotgun all the time.

Been using it for trap too but if I shot a lot of Trap would want a dedicated Trap gun. Stock and rib are different than Clays. Throwing high is an advantage. Shot a friends 1925 Parker SC trap for a few months and it was sweet. Don't know what I would go for if a Trap gun though. Nice old Trap Model 12 would be a good choice.

Boats

I like and own both o/u and auto. After a full day of shooting my shoulder feels a lot better with a good gas operated auto. Everybody's right browning, beretta the best there is.

If your thinking you might one day hunt with gun a 32 in barrel does not swing real fast when a cubby of quail jump. On the other hand a 26 in doesn't hold that perfect pattern way out there.

• 2 months later...

I have a Beretta 682 Gold E Sporting that I use for all clay shooting. I don't think I'm far off by saying 90% of Norwegian clay shooters use Beretta O/Us of some kind.

Started out with a 391, but since I shoot alot of sporting clays two barrels are better, so you can have two different chokes when shooting.

Edited by slemmo

• 1 month later...

Only been shooting Clays since November but here is my suggestions.

1. Pattern the gun. I shoot Trap so I pattern my gun at 40 yards because that's about where I end up engaging the target. Skeet I would assume 20 yards? Check with the skeet shooters on this.

2. Get the gun professionally fitted to you. I went from mid teens to mid 20's after having mine fitted. It's worth the money to do so.

3. As for a gun the Remington 1100 cannot be beat. Get one and save the cash difference for ammo.

4. Practice,practice and more practice. Shoot at different times of the day and on Trap fields with different backgrounds if you can. Oh one last thing. Practice.

In your price range I would suggest either a Browning Citori or Beretta 682. You will want a break open gun picking up shells from an auto gets old really fast. Which ever you buy get a 12 Ga. 28” barrels are normal in skeet and 30”-34” in trap. So 30” might be a good length for both sports depending on your stature. I would highly recommend finding one with an adjustable comb. Generally you would set-up a skeet or sporting clays gun to shoot 50/50 POI @ 21 yds and trap 70/30 POI @ 30 yds. With the adjustable comb once you determine the appropriate spacers needed to achieve the correct pattern you can swap spacer based on which game you were going to shoot.

If you were going to get a auto I would recommend a Remington 1100 and get 2 barrels (1) 30" step rib trap barrel and (2) about 28" barrel with screw in chokes to use for skeet or sporting clays. For the 1100 you can find aftermarket adjustable comb stocks which would be best or you would need to deal with comb pads to get the proper POI.

On this forum, you often hear the phrase buy once.......

You can start with a pump gun, move to an autoloader, buy a cheap o/u, then a good o/u.

It is always cheaper to buy quality first. Buy a decent O/U that fits you or comes close. You will only have to buy once and feel the pain once, after that it is all joy.

Beretta and Browning make great O/U for the price, even used. They will last a very long time. Since I own both a Beretta 682 Clays and a Superposed Skeet, I can attest they both feel different to me.

Im and avid sporting clays and skeet shooter. I've bought and sold alot of shotgunn in the eternal quest for THE GUN. I'm a longtime gas gun shooter. The 1100-1187's narrow combs fit most people and are great as long as they are properly maintained. Ive shot them for years and have several in the safe that I still shoot on occasion. For me, a 30" Beretta 391 Urika II works well for everything. I shoot in the 90's in trap skeet and sporting with it. They easy to maintain, adjustable, soft shooting, and wont break the bank.

I completely agree. I am usually an over under guy, and I have a citori special sporting that was my go-to clays gun... Until the first time I tried a 391 sporting. It's like pointing a magic wand. The only way I can describe the way they shoot is "forgiving". Sometimes I would swear that I flubbed a shot, but the clay still breaks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Beretta 682 Gold E Sporting that I use for all clay shooting. I don't think I'm far off by saying 90% of Norwegian clay shooters use Beretta O/Us of some kind.

Started out with a 391, but since I shoot alot of sporting clays two barrels are better, so you can have two different chokes when shooting.

But the best of them (skeet team) shoot Perazzi.

But yes.. can't go wrong with a used 682. Just picked one up for $600! and you wont pry it out of my hands for double.