Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for input on a Clay busting Shotgun

skdmrklcy

I recently picked up a Benelli M2 Tactical on a whim... I am now figuring out it is a great HD/Range gun... but not good for much else.

I have a local club that does Skeet and Trap every week and I would like to go out for some fun. I used to screw around with an old pump 870 but it has been a loooonnnngggg time.

I have a few options...

Keep the Benelli M2 and buy a barrel and stock, and figure out a way to cover the holes from the ghost rings. Sell the take offs and hopefully not be out all that much cash... I am sure I will though.

Another option is to sell the Benelli and pickup a Beretta Semi or O/U... or something else in the 1.5kish range.

I am leaning toward either doing up the M2 or another Semi, so I could modify it again later for three gun if I ever get my rifle built.

What would you do?

If you need something versatile, maybe look at a Winchester SX2 or SX3. They are internally the same as the FNH shotty's many use for 3 gun so you should be able to mod it if you like. They are very good guns and, in a 28" bbl, should be excellent for clays.

For Skeet/Trap if you want a good break gun for the bucks I would look at the beretta or browning used. I would look at the 30-32 inch range. A 28inch woulndt be awful but avoid the 26s as they loose value fast. Buying used they typically hold value pretty well. Jaquas in OH has a 425 32 inch sporting gun for 1400 right now. Throw on an adj comb and your good to go.

Trap guns generally are set up so it is easier to shoot a raising target, they don't shoot where you are looking, if you are looking at the clay and pull the trigger you will shoot under it because it is rising. So the are designed to shoot a bit high. Skeet are more for swinging shots, more set up like a hunting gun.

If you are shooting for fun get yourself a 391 in 30" or a 682 Gold E in 32". I'd get the sporting clays versions. If you are shooting trap with the 391 you need a shell catcher. Lots of other guns will work, but these are what I shoot. I tell everyone they are wonderful. They are sound tools for the job. Serious shooters tend to have specialized guns for their games. Oh yes, I shot sporting and five stand for the most part and fire a fair number of rounds each week. You might want to pick up the book Breaking Clays for good background information. A well considered decision won't come from a short paragraph like this. There are too many yes... buts... to be considered.

If you are shooting for fun get yourself a 391 in 30" or a 682 Gold E in 32". I'd get the sporting clays versions. If you are shooting trap with the 391 you need a shell catcher. Lots of other guns will work, but these are what I shoot. I tell everyone they are wonderful. They are sound tools for the job. Serious shooters tend to have specialized guns for their games. Oh yes, I shot sporting and five stand for the most part and fire a fair number of rounds each week. You might want to pick up the book Breaking Clays for good background information. A well considered decision won't come from a short paragraph like this. There are too many yes... buts... to be considered.

I will see if the library has it, or place an order on amazon.

I am going in for now just for a general gun for all things blowing up a clay disk some of the time.

It looks like I will put up my M2 and start looking for another shotgun afterwards. Both of those shops of a lot of nice used stuff, also found a few things on gunbroker.

Try and shoot a few different ones prior to making the next purchase. Should fit you well, shoot where you look and handle to your expectations. Look at the Beretta 391's, Browning Golds, SX2/SX3, 1110,s, etc.... Focus of how it 'feels" in your hands.

Best of luck.

As an "avid" 3 Gunner (and one who uses a Benelli M2 when shooting Tac Scope) AND as a guy who loves to

play the Clays game too, my fix was a Benelli Super Sport. Fits me and runs just like my M2 but is built to kill Clays.

The familiarity in operation and having both guns fitting me the same translates into better scores in both games.

I own and use other guns for Sporting Clays ( 525 Clays, SX1, etc) but the Super Sport is fast

becoming my clay busting choice.

Patrick

If you want a clay slaying shotty, I'd say EkuJustice is spot on. I'd say 30" just cause you said you would be shooting skeet and it will be just fine for trap. What ever you choose, make sure pattern the gun so you know where it shoots.

I shoot a Citori XT 32" & BT99 34" for trap. I have a Perazzi with 29.5" barrels for skeet and use it for the occasional sporting clays round without any issues. I've also used it for trap with success but the 2 Brownings are just better at breaking rising targets.

Both Browings are about a 60/40 guns meaning they shoot a pattern that is 60% above the POA and 40% below. The BT99 is lighter and a single barrel I use just for an event called Handicap. The Perazzi is dead flat, 50/50.

If you decide to go O/U I vote Browning. Citori's can be found used easily. Get a sporting version, not a field gun. Get the longest barrels you can (30 or 32)

I shoot a Browning Cynergy Sporting 32 and I love it.

Try Sporting Clays...it's addictive.

Good advise above.

I'd really try hard to shoot the different sports with borrowed guns, see what you like the best...skeet, trap, sporting...all?

Then, consider the 'tool/gun' after the shoot the sports.

At $1500, you are "in" the high quality auto range with different confiqurations.$1500 is in the used O/U range. Some very good choices for that money, but not many IMO and you have to find them.

Skeet is, by far, the most forgiving of different gun styles IMO. Meaning, anywhere from a 26" to a 32" barrel can work and with different stock styles. Sporting a bit less so and trap is the least forgiving. Meaning you will shoot higher scores with a "higher" trap stock and longer barrels.

But, buying guns is fun. So, if you "had" to buy tomorrow I'd go with previously mentioned Beretta sporting auto.

Have fun.

On skeet, the swing is extremely important and smooth is what is gonna break the targets. On 12 ga it is a little more forgiving but it you ever get really hooked the 410 is unforgiving. Right now 30 inch is the "norm" for skeet, your will see the occasional 28, 0r 32 and the Extremely rare 26. Weight is your friend in skeet and the 10-11 pound gun is the norm. You will see alot of guys in skeet shooting trap stocks on the skeet guns and setting them up for a 60/40 pattern. When I Shot skeet, I shot the 32 inch barrels and then the now discontinued 34 inch sporting barrels(had to get them choed since they did not come with factory chokes) with the tube set and a lead weight between the barrels. In other words, a very heavy gun. Had no problem moving it and could just crush 3, 4 5 doubles so it was easy to move.

The balance usually is a personal thing. The beretta, perazzi and kolar guns tend to have a more neutral balance with he kolar feeling like the beretta and perazzi just heavier but a similar balance. The Brownings and Krieghoffs tend to have a more nose heavy feel to them. I liked the weight in the front as I felt it kept the swing smoother and wasnt hard to start or move if your shooting with your lower body(which helps keep the swing smooth) and not your arms. Good video to watch of that is todd bender shooting. Very pronounced lower body shooter(does lean WAY out when he shoots).

Good thing abojt Jaquas is they use to at least let you try out the used guns on the trap field to see what works for you.

I may be doing a deal for a Rizzini Aurum Classic with 28" barrels. Any reason not to do this? It seems they are getting the short end of the stick, but I already pointed that out. It doesn't have the case they come with now, but I can buy a case... It seems like if nothing else it will get me started and I can upgrade later on if it was needed.

For a target gun its too light at under 7 pounds. That is basically a field gun thats carried alot and shot a little. On a target gun, its carried very little and shot alot. For that weight is your friend. For upgrading later, that would be a hard sell with those 28 inch barrels.

On any of the used guns, make sure to check for wear. The way to do that is look at the top latch. It should be positioned right of center. If it is at center, it is going to need some work soon. IF left of center it needs some work ASAP. Outside wear can be tricky sometimes as a gun that was carried alot but rarely may look like it was used more than a competition gun that had the heck shot out of it which may look immaculate.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I shoot Trap weekly and Sporting Clays 2 times a month. I use a Beretta S682 which can be a little costly to purchase for most but I also use a Remington 1100 Classic Trap 12ga and average 22/24 out of 25. Great gun for both Trap and Sporting Clays.

MrFixitman

trapshooters . net

Forgot to mention. The 1100 has had issues with ejecting spent shells. Beside the normal fix of replacing the "O" Ring try switching Brand of Shells.

I was using RIO's in my Beretta without a problem. But the Semi Auto 1100 did not like them . I switched to Remington and have not had a problem yet.

MrFixitman

If you haven't already completed the purchase another option you might look at is the Beretta Xtrema. It will shoot light hunting loads up to 3.5" and the Benelli extension for the Nova pump will work on it as well if you want to run it as a tactical setup.

I've got 2 Beretta 682s. One was my (late) shooting partner's gun, and it's got over 300K rounds through it. It's loose when open, but as tight as a bank vault when closed. My sporting gun is a 32" Gold E, and it's a spectacular gun.

What I like about the Berettas is the balance and depth. Berettas are slightly wider but shallower. Brownings are deeper and narrow. I shot a Browning 425 for years before I got my 682. It was a nice gun, but nowhere near where the Beretta is.

If you can't swing a 682, try to find a 686. Almost an identical gun for a significantly lower price.

• 2 weeks later...

Find yourself a good Mod 12 Winchester Trap, most likely the finest trap gun ever made, next to it I would go with a Browning Broadway (o/u) or the Lightning also O/U they both have the Browning wide rib, looks like you are looking down a 4 lane highway, I shoot all three at trap and by a little bit the Mod 12 is my favorite. Find a gun that fits you and feels right, haard to explain but you now it when you shoulder the gun the first time. Good luck, you are getting ready to get into a fun sport that will drive you crazy one day and make you the happiest person the next