Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how to relax during a match

Xander

I just joined my very 1st match last Sunday. It was an all steel challenge, I ended up pretty badly, all the practice sessions I had which I did great was wasted. I was not myself during the actual event, I'm quite anxious and feel uncomfortable. I came at the range 10mins before the event started, I did not have the chance to warm-up or dryfire a bit, it was all rushed up. I tried to do breathing exercises. Then I just can't apply the relax thinking, loosing the conception of fast and slow as per BE. I just lost it. We will have another upcoming match in the next 3 weeks, so any more advices/sugestions on how to stay cool and relax before a match will be great, TIA:)

Get there earlier so you can walk around, chat a bit, prepare your rig, do practice draws, and scope out the stages. All of that helps me to relax.

You second match will automatically be better than the first also, so don't worry too much.

+1 on getting there early. As said, it not only gives you a chance to become less nervous but gives you time to talk to others and to check out their equipment and even how they handle their time as they wait. Also, if this is a local match they probably need help setting up either that day or the day before. Get involved.

Ok, I'll try to go as early as I can next time, thanks guys.

Get there early enough to draw/dry fire a bit, but really that should be taken care of before match day.

When the RO says "load and make ready"....wiggle your toes. If you can't wiggle your toes you are too tense. Say "hold" take a deep breath, wiggle your toes and nod to the RO that you are in fact ready to get it on.

Ok, I'll try to go as early as I can next time, thanks guys.

Get there early enough to draw/dry fire a bit, but really that should be taken care of before match day.

When the RO says "load and make ready"....wiggle your toes. If you can't wiggle your toes you are too tense. Say "hold" take a deep breath, wiggle your toes and nod to the RO that you are in fact ready to get it on.

Cool, I'll keep that in mind, thanks.

All the above!

Mike Seeklander speaks of goal/statement cards. You simply write down a statement, a positive one, and read it before the match, before the stage, and in your case anytime you get anxious. I feel it works.

Also, try "trigger technigues". An example - when you load and make ready, as you grip your gun (in the holster) for the last time, tell yourself "stay calm, good grip, front sight" etc etc.

Also, take a deep breath through your nose and hold for 2 seconds, then let it out. A good cleansing breath does wonders.

Lastly, visualization is huge. Shoot the entire stage several times (10 or more) before you shoot it. When it is your turn...you have already done it in your mind!

Hope it helps! :cheers:

Steve

I love all the tips, I use them myself.

I like getting there early, greet the other shooters, take a look at the stages. A couple dry/draws, not too many since I only draw 6 times for the whole day.

Start a warm up for your muscles, stretch and concentrate on the goal at hand. "Shooting" Allow all the acquired shooting skills to come out naturally (subconscious).

It's like the golf analogy, "You are about to play a big tournament, don't worry about the swing now, concentrate on the game." That's why I don't practice with a bucket before a round other than warm up.

All the practice should be done Prior to the match/tournament.

Hope it helps!

time, it just takes time to feel comfort.

+ 1

also when I take the timer out of the equation. when I tell myself I dont care about time I just want to hit my positions correctly and execute my plan flawless even if Im slower after all its a local match why not learn something. I usally have my best runs and I wasnt all jacked up and nervous.

Be on the lookout for negative thoughts such as:

It was an all steel challenge, I ended up pretty badly, all the practice sessions I had which I did great was wasted.

And don't compound the "problem." It's not possible to "waste" a practice session.

The only hurdle you face, at this point - like every other shooter new to shooting matches - lies in learning how to allow the skills you have learned in practice to come out in a match.

Have fun, relax, and follow the excellent advice laid out in this thread.

be

I just joined my very 1st match last Sunday. It was an all steel challenge, I ended up pretty badly, all the practice sessions I had which I did great was wasted. I was not myself during the actual event, I'm quite anxious and feel uncomfortable.

First off congratulations for attending your first match and WELCOME! Most people never get the nerve to try so you have already come a long way by showing up and giving it your best.

This game is a contstant learning and growing experience and as such comes with growing pains. I have been playing this game since 1987 and I still have lots of "growing pains"

I try to never fell bad after a match even when I tank it (like today!) instead I take time to figure out where I made mistakes and how I can improve for next time. If you can seperate the emotion from the nuts and bolts of your performance you can probably learn and not feel like you should have gone shopping with your wife instead of shooting today. Good luck, good practice and never give up!

Bring a couple of friends with you and try to get put in the same squad as them. If youre around people that youre normally relaxed around it should help calm you down between stages. For some people (if not most)the anxiety may never completly go away but once you become an experiance shooter youll get to the point that it doesnt really affect you.

Worth every penny but get yourself a copy of Sual's Master Class III - Mastering the Mental Game. Talks about everything you just went through during your match and how to over come it. So much info, over 2 hrs worth. Listen to it over and over again. It's working for me. Last two matches I place 2nd in one and other time place 3rd out of 25 production shooters. I shot GREAT!!!! I won that match even before it started. Mikes and penalties... Did I get any??? I don't remember. I went to the match expecting to win. The top shooter went to the match hoping I won't beat him..

Listen/ watch that DVD and you know why I just wrote what I wrote.

The "wiggle your toes" tip works for me, although I still have not yet conquered the nerves. I don't think I've gone to a match yet that I didn't think "Why am I doing this?" as I drove to it. But once there, I calm down. Another thing that helps is I try to smile at the end of every run. (I don't let on if I'm laughing at some goof up I made, if it's because of a good run.) Smiling helps with keeping positive. Another thing that has helped me is I've started asking squad mates if they would record some of my runs. I watch those videos and try to find one thing that I felt really good about, and remember that before the next match. It may be a really smooth draw and first shot, or a fast mag change, or quick transition to next position... whatever it is, it keeps the focus off the negative.

The more you shoot, the more you will relax at the range. I was very nervous my first few matches. just go slow and be safe. Speed and comfort will come. The more you experience the presure of 10-15 people watching you, the anxious wait for the buzzer, etc etc, the less it will bother you.

And a big +1 to showing up early. If registration starts at say 9:00am, I like to be there a few minutes before that even. Get signed in early, then go walk around the stages and have plenty of time to get my gear in order and do som practice draws in the safe area (no mags or ammo of course).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Get there earlier so you can walk around, chat a bit, prepare your rig, do practice draws, and scope out the stages. All of that helps me to relax.

You second match will automatically be better than the first also, so don't worry too much.

Great pointers :)

• 2 weeks later...

Get there when the front gate to the range opens and help set the match up.

A little work will get your blood flowing and burn off some of that nervous energy.

Plus...that earns you karma points with the wise and seasoned range veterans. ... Making it more likely for you to get good pointers and tips on your shooting. ;)