Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 gr.+WST=Thank You!

fltbed

I’ve been using WST in my 45 acp since it was introduced. (Used it’s predecessor 452AA before that)

Recently started using it for 40 major in my limited gun.

Based on my experience with WST, I was guesstamating a start charge of 3.3 gr. with a max somewhere around 3.7-3.8 gr. with a Bear Creek 147 gr.

A quick search on here revealed several of you were loading 3.6 gr. with various 147 gr. bullets.

Never beveling anything I read, I loaded up test rounds starting with 3.3 and working up in 0.1 gr. increments to 3.6 gr.

From 3.3 gr. - 3.5 gr. I was seeing a steady increase in consistency and accuracy but when I tested the 3.6 gr. load something just “clicked”.

Gun: S&W M&P 9L

PF: 133

ES: 26

SD: 9

Accuracy: way better than I can shoot.

Even the brass was suddenly being ejected into the same spot.

So, just a quick thank you to the members who test loads and post their findings. Without seeing others using this load successfully, I’m not sure I’d have even tried this combination.

Jeff

How long were you loading these? I am about to resupply on powder and I might try a pound of WST.

Thanks,

Derek

My OAL is 1.150 with the Bear Creek’s but as always, load them to whatever OAL works in your gun and work up the load like I did. (can't be to careful)

3.3 gr. Seems to be a good starting point and I’ll be doing it all over again with some Precision 147 gr. as I can only load them to an OAL of 1.100

Jeff

I'm using Precision 147s right now, and was just looking for a starting point. Most of what I load is between 1.145 and 1.155. I have gone longer than that but didn't have great results. I will pick up a pound of WST and take a crack at this. How does the recoil feel? Push or snap, etc..

I'm using Precision 147s right now, and was just looking for a starting point. Most of what I load is between 1.145 and 1.155. I have gone longer than that but didn't have great results. I will pick up a pound of WST and take a crack at this. How does the recoil feel? Push or snap, etc..

Wow I’ve never had a 9 that would let me load the Precision’s out longer that 1.110 (main reason they have been sitting on my shelf for so long)

The recoil was a soft push. Not “snappy” at all.

Jeff

Do you guys who run 9mm/WST have a summer and winter load thats different ? How does the weather affect your PF ? I've seen some posted for WST, just not in 9mm.

I run mine at 139 Pf,so summer,which does not really exist in the PNW,is the same load for winter.

Wow I’ve never had a 9 that would let me load the Precision’s out longer that 1.110 (main reason they have been sitting on my shelf for so long)

The recoil was a soft push. Not “snappy” at all.

Jeff

That is for the Glocks, I have a CZ that is a bit more picky.

Do you guys who run 9mm/WST have a summer and winter load thats different ? How does the weather affect your PF ? I've seen some posted for WST, just not in 9mm.

I've shot mine from 35 degrees to just over 100. I've found that in 9mm the variance is that great. My load is WSP, 3.6 WST, 1.115 OAL.

Edit: Cast lead 147 bullet out of Magma Engineering molds.

Out of my M&P 9Pro I've got 10 shot groups at PF of 132, 134, 137, 134, and 132. All done on different days at varying temps but my schedule worked out so that it was at one extreme or the other.

Don't have chrono data and I was probably towards the low end, but, I know that in SS .45 with a 230RN cast it dropped so much that my gun malfed all day long at a club match at about 105 degrees. I have black Midway bags and there was zero shade, the ammo was so hot you could barely hold it in your hand to load. The bag was like a freaking oven! But I've never had any issues in 9mm. Get to around 135PF and chrono them. I bet you find that you are fine. And they are just sooooo soft shooting.

Edited by Shadowrider

I load Bear Creek 135g RN in 9mm with WST for my Spartan 9mm. 4.0g at 1.150 runs 133-135 PF. Great load, like it even more than the 147's.

I get a nice little pile of brass ejecting 2 feet to my right and just slightly dropping backwards.

I load Bear Creek 135g RN in 9mm with WST for my Spartan 9mm. 4.0g at 1.150 runs 133-135 PF. Great load, like it even more than the 147's.

I get a nice little pile of brass ejecting 2 feet to my right and just slightly dropping backwards.

Hey......that's my load. I have been loading a 135 grain cast bullet over 4.0 grains of WST for a few years. So much for my secret load :)