Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
tatu_ph

Wolff Heavier than ISMI?

Good Day!

I've changed my recoil spring lately from ISMI 14 lbs to Wolfe 14lbs variable. What I noticed is that the Wolfe was much heavier. Thinking the ISMI was probably lighted because of use I ordered a new one and a 15lbs for a friend when it arrived I tried it on and still the the Wolfe was heavier. We tried the 15lbs on but still the 14lbs Wolfe was heavier.

What gives? What brand has the correct weight rating? Yes, I read the difference between variable and constant springs. But I think I would need more help. Can anyone clue me in? And what brand and type would be better to use?

Thanks!

A 14lbs variable spring is going to feel heavier than a 14lbs standard spring. I personally use Sprinco recoil springs and will use nothing else now. They feel great and last longer then the others.

Discovered the same difference when I replaced a Wolf 15lb mainspring with an ISMI 15lb and my trigger got a whole lot lighter! Lesson learned, not all springs are created equal

I have also noticed that Wolff springs weigh in at full recoil compression to be very close to exactly what they are listed to be, and that IMSI are 3-4# lighter, than the listed value, Marc says it doesn't matter. It does to me. A 14# variable will not feel heavier than a 14# conventional, it will feel lighter in early, battery compression, and the same at full compression.

LOG

The only way to really know what the spring weights are, is to measure them using an SDM Fabricating Spring Tester or a homemade version of it.

P8230304.JPG

I've found a fairly wide range of spring rates between all the spring vendors and even within springs of the same rate from the same vendor.

Find what spring rate you and your gun like and then use the Spring Tester to monitor the spring every time you clean your gun and to verify the spring rate of new springs.

Edited by Ming the Merciless

I have found that ISMI is lower in weight than advertised. They also fatigue and lose power faster than Wolf. I am a Wolf spring user exclusively now.

...They also fatigue and lose power faster than Wolf. I am a Wolf spring user exclusively now.

This is the opposite of my experience.

I agree with the ISMI getting "soft" faster. A 15# mainspring turns into a 12-13# mainspring in about 1000-1500 compressions.

I also noticed the difference between the ISMI and Wolff. Im my gun im running from the last 4 years only Wolff and i like it really much. Semms to me more relaible. I change every 5,000 rounds fired.....

I found that a package of Wolf springs is like a box of choclates you don't know what it is, and they only last about 1000 rounds in my open gun. The IMSI seem to be true to weight rating and lasts about 5K. Springco may well be the better spring, I'm going to try them next.

I've noticed just the opposite. Wolff springs feel softer than a ISMI. I also think the Wolff springs go soft faster.

Edited by bucky707

I bought a 14# Wolff and it feels heavier than my stock Spartan 45 spring. So, I have just keep using my stock spring. It has worked well with my 170pf load.

I used Wolff 140mm mag springs in my Glock and experienced failure to feed. This was with new springs. I switched to ISMI springs and had no more FTF problems. I guess teh moral to the story is that every spring has itsown charactereistics.

I replaced the stock XDM 5.25 spring with a Wolff 14#. Honestly I couldn't tell the difference. So I cut three coils off and still doesn't feel much different compared to a 5.25 with the stock spring. Never thought about it being company; however, when I replaced stock Glock 34 spring with ISMI spring it was unquestionably different. Maybe I'll start looking

I have found that ISMI is lower in weight than advertised. They also fatigue and lose power faster than Wolf. I am a Wolf spring user exclusively now.

Although that was my experience, from the variety of answers in this thread, Ming The Merciless's answer makes the best sense.

be

I had the same experienced on both of those manufacturer. Now i am using Sprinco on my Open and limited gun!