Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pat Tillman and our military

uscbigdawg

Yesterday, former NFL player Pat Tillman died in Afghanistan. For those that don’t know Pat’s story, he turned down a multi-million dollar deal to play for the Arizona Cardinals and enlisted in the Army. Below is the story that was released this morning.

Please take a moment to think about all of the members of our military and all of the sacrifices that they have made to defend this great country. Too, think of those that sacrifice nothing, but do their job in defense of our nation, our beliefs and our liberties because they are compelled, motivated and deem it their duty to do so.

God bless our military and God Bless America.

Rich

Yahoo News story on Pat Tillman

Pat Tillman who gave up a 3.6 million dollar contract with the cardinals to be a Ranger got killed in Afghanistan today. It is such a good sign that people like this are still being born in america.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ghan_nfl_player

What I hate is that this is the same day that a punk like Maurice Claurette is bitching to SCOTUS he has a right to play in the NFL. Talk about opposite ends of the spectrum on character.

Remember this is MY hate RANT!!!!!!!!!!!

Take you opposite opinion and stick it somewhere else!!

I am deeply saddened by this, even though I never heard of him before today. Anyone who volunteers for military combat duty during war time is heroic in my opinion. The fact that he made a huge professional and financial sacrifice makes it obvious how committed the young man was to his people and country.

I would much rather have been able to feel the respect and admiration for him after he returned home safely, but it's there nonetheless. I hope that his family and friends can find some solace in the nature of his sacrifice and the choices he made in life.

Kinda puts things in perspective doesn't it.

Pat showed us ALL what's important in this life...the struggle for freedom.

I won't soon forget him or his message.

There is a little clip of an interview of him on tv where he talks about how lucky his life has been and how he "hasnt done a damn thing to deserve it". He basically said he hadnt done anything for his country and he should. What a MAN!!!

I'm glad to see this posted on this forum.This young man as well as the rest or our young men (not boys) deserve attention for the sacrifice and in some cases like this the ultimate sacrifice needs recognition for what they have given up. Thanks for posting this Jeeper.

I'll post what I posted on the NUGE Board:

Not just a hero, but a REAL American HERO. A kid that could have been financially secure for the rest of his life, possibly fame for the rest of his life and he unselfishly gave it all up for his, our Country. Now that's a f*#king true hero! He talked the talk and walked the walk. RIP, hero. A truly unselfish American.

Pat is an inspiration to me. He did what I wished I had done. He put his priorities in line correctly and did what was right.

I do find it unfortunate that our soldiers have been dying over there for some time now, but it was the death of a celebrity if you will that has brought that to light.

I am proud of all of our soldiers fighting the battles over there. They all represent the ideals that we love and respect in Pat. I'd ask that we never forget Pat and what he did. I'd also ask that we mourn the loss of all soldiers overseas everyday. Last, there is no way I would ever degrade those soldiers by stating something ill against the war or the President. We are where we are - I feel like we should support the guys doing exactly what they were asked to do.

Thanks Pat - we will not forget!

JB

In echo of all that's been written already I'm saddened about the loss of any soldier. Pride of country is tough comfort to the families of the fallen. We can only hope that the American blood being shed ends terrorism forever, and our children only learn of this struggle in history books...

I remember when Pat Tillman enlisted. It was all over ESPN about how he had given up his NFL career to be a soldier. I remember being really proud of the man. Upon hearing of his death I recalled those feeling, but it was jaded by the fact that hundreds of soldiers have died recently without this national coverage. I thought if Pat was the man I expect he was he would be embarrassed of his name being lauded over his fellow soldiers. It seemed wrong to spend so much time talking about one of the slain just because he gave up millions to serve. Every member of the services gives something up. The ones that don't come home make the ultimate sacrifice. We have no right to judge which sacrifice was more important. We have only to honor.

This morning I heard on my favorite local AM station a response to this that I would like to share. The source is the former speaker of the Indiana house of representatives, John Greg. He is a democratic leader in this state which makes me as a staunch conservative republican want to ingore his banter, but he is fair and on air just takes comments and gives his insight without political leanings ( usually!!!). His answer to this was inspirational. He answered a caller with basically the same feeling on the issue I have. To paraphrase he said this,

' I understand your sentiment. Every soldier that serves is a merit to this nation. The thing that makes this news worthy is the fact that Pat Tillman had it all, he had a career that many can only dream of, he had money and promises of more. But he gave it all up willingly to serve his country. His sacrifice is not noteworthy, but his story is. So many times we hear of sports stars living a life of reckless excesses. We hear of the drugs and trouble. But now we have an example of a man that gave all that up to be a simple soldier for his country. And in the end he died like every unfortunate hero that has worn a uniform. He is a story to be told so that our future generations see that choices exist for us all. He is a story to be told because he made it and wanted to give something back. He is a story to be told because men like that make America what it is. '

Again this is paraphrased, but I was moved to hear it and wanted to share it.

Then theres guys like Eli Manning who openly say's he won't play for the Chargers if he's drafted. Gets drafted by the Charges and throws a temper tantrum in front of everyone until he's traded. Unfortunately, that is what professional sports is all about.

Pat Tillman was definitely the exception.

Pat Tillman and his brother's choice to join the Rangers was covered a bunch on the nationwide syndicated sports radio program "The Jim Rome Show" [which I'm completely addicted to]

Rome went out of his way several times to try to get either brother to do an interview, to talk about their decision to sacrifice their opportunities in sports and serve their country instead. They flat-out refused. Not interested in blowing their own horn. At all.

Hurts me to learn that Pat paid the ultimate price. During my own service, thoughts of dying came up, but it seems kind of abstract as long as no one is actually shooting at you. This was real.

A man hath no greater love than to lay down his life...

eric - st. pete

The Eli Manning comment is dead on point.

My wife and I were discussing the very same issue over brunch today at our favorite "greasy spoon".

Character, honor , duty and courage are in such "short supply" in popular sport today. You get guys like Eli whom care only about THEIR best interests...fools whom showboat to the degree that they hide a cell phone in the endzone so they can call "whomever" from after they score a touchdown....etc,etc,etc. :angry:

Pat Tillman is a shining example of what we could all become...if we weren't so worried about ourselves and our selfish best interests.

I've been a Giants fan all my life...until now. :angry:

Pat Tillman is the complete antithesis of Eli Manning.

Guys like Pat Tillman will always put others before themselves, thats why he joined up, thats why he died.

Manning will never do that, his tantrum is the proof, he is starting to believe his own advertising.

More guys like Tillman, less like Manning are required in all sports, not just football.

The worst part is only people like those on this forum will actually realise that and Manning and his minions will carry on in their own little world.

The country does indeed need more men like Pat Tillman. Few will measure up to the sacrifices he made. However, his memory and the sacrifice he made is no more honored by belittling someone else. This thread should stay a tribute to Pat Tillman not a degradation of Eli Manning, who himself is an example of sorts - he stayed in school and completed his degree, he never battered women, did drugs, etc.

The most sensitive charge leveled at Manning is that he made a selfish choice at the worst possible time, just as the league and the nation were suffering from the shock of ex-NFL player Pat Tillman's death and praising him for making the ultimate sacrifice. Tillman was willing to go to Afghanistan, Manning's critics wailed, but Eli Manning isn't willing to go to San Diego? Tillman's was an act of courage and selflessness that no athlete will ever surpass, but to compare Manning's situation with his does an injustice to both men. Besides, how can we admire Tillman for putting his life on the line to safeguard America's freedoms, and then condemn Manning for exercising one of his? --- Phil Taylor Sports Illustrated