Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Matches with no Classifiers

PKT1106

I could shoot 5 classifiers in a matter of 2 weeks and not travel more than 2 hours. Most of the monthly clubs have one a month and the weekly clubs have one a month as well. I'm fortunate there are quite a few clubs that I can get to.

Admittedly I just became classified because I shoot more multi gun than pistol only. But it is nice to be able to get classifiers in if needed.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

At this point, low A open, I really don't care if the match has a classifier. But, working my way to B class over 5 years or so, it really torqued my butt if a match didn't have one.

I think newer shooters/shooters moving up, really want classifiers at each local. I did.

Now, 7 years into it, shooting priorities have matured. I understand things better. I can "see" the path so to speak. It will happen when it happens. I look at "match" performance.

It's hard enough to move up as it is. Thankfully all of the local clubs here in the Philadelphia(ish) area always run at least one classifier. If there was a club that didn't regularly run one, I think I would stop going.

Interesting to see the different perspectives.

When the weather cooperates, ECO puts on 6-9 matches per month, if you're willing to drive to all of them. Thus far we have always included a classifier in each match, so it's easy to rack up scores if that's what you want.

For my part, I do not feel they are strictly necessary. Most classifiers are short speed shoots or standards exercises, which A) I am bad at and B) I do not particularly enjoy. A few of them are very fun, e.g. Hillbillton Drill, After Work Blues, Take Em Down, basically anything with a moderate round count and lots of steel. As for all the Virginia Count, multiple string, strong/weak hand, mandatory reload, every-target-has-a-no-shoot classifiers, I could do without shooting one of those every match.

I like to see a balance of short, medium, and long stages, even at monthly matches. I think classifiers often take the short stage slot, which means the staff-designed stages end up all being 24-32 round field courses, except for the 10-round speed shoot we cram on the same berm as the classifier. If we didn't always set up a classifier, I think we might see a little more stage diversity.

Edited by MoNsTeR

A while back we were running 2 uspsa matches per month, i didn't run a second classifier. USPSA only allows 12 classifier submissions per club per year so it didn't make any sense to pay the extra 1.50$, so we just ran regular stages.

Clubs should run at least 6 classifiers per year which i believe is the minimum requirement.

If anything, having a classifier would make it easier to run a match since the stage is pre-determined and that is one less stage people have to create.

And I am not complaining about any match running or the stages that I see, I am asking what people's opinions are about USPSA matches that do not include classifier stages.

i may be the only one that thinks this way, but i'd rather design and set up a 32 round field course than have to set up a classifier. with the classifier everything has got to be perfect, laid out to the inch, targets all to the same height on and on. i once had to throw out a stage because the hard cover ran from the left shoulder to right hip, where it should have gone right to left. with the field course you can adjust it till it works.

How do I register to shoot at an event if I'm not classified yet? it always asks you what your classification is.

At local club matches, you show up and register as "unclassified". Just be sure to give them your USPSA number (you are a member aren't you?) and you will be classified in no time. Takes 4 classifiers in a division to get classified.

Also watch for a "special classifier match" in your area. These matches will feature 4 or more classifiers in one day to enable new members to get classified in a hurry.

At some "major" matches along with being a USPSA member you may need to be classified to shoot. Some others may not require it but those rarely recognize "unclassified" during the awards.

Bill

I go to club matches for the shooting and the people, I like long courses so a classifier dose not mean much.

There are two types of class, one tests practiced procedures, the second tests over all skills.

Classifiers test mostly by the first where major matches test mostly by the second.

If you are in a hurry to move up, put in the time and effort and go to some majors, if you have the skills you can move up more in one major match then you might in a year of club classifiers.

Given all this, my opinion is that as long as a club meets their requirements to USPSA it’s all good.

Leonard

I think newer shooters/shooters moving up, really want classifiers at each local. I did.

As a shooter with "lots of room for improvement", I know I look to my classifiers as a measure of how I'm progressing. It isn't a perfect measure, but it's more accurate than measuring my performance against the varying collection of b/c/d/u shooters who show up for local matches and are as inconsistent as I am. I've turned in a mediocre performance and won HOA at my club when the better shooters were having an off day. I've also shot a hell of a match and ended up in the middle of the pack because EVERYBODY shot a hell of a match that day. At least I can look at a classifier and see how I did against a GM having a good day, regardless of who showed up for that month's local match, whether they had equipment issues, or what kind of a day they're having.

So while I'd still drive to shoot a good match (i.e, lots of good shooters, good stages, nice club) without a classifier, I'd think twice about driving several hours to shoot a small match with no classifier. At that point, I might benefit more from a good practice in the back yard and investing the extra time and $ in reloading, maintenance, or even spending time with my family.

BB

Edited by bbbean

Hopefully, the mission count fees.

I was thinking the same thing. If there are no classifiers to upload then there are no USPSA fees to pay.

The mission count is actually $1.50 per shooter for the match, and another $1.50 per shooter for the classifier if there is one.

A hint on target setup here. Because most classifiers require a 5' shoulder we took a couple of 12' 2x10's cut them in 5' lengths and ran them through the table saw to make a bunch of target sticks that are EXACTLY 5' long. Staple the target flush with the top of the stick and you have 5' every time. The excess 2' of 2x10 gets cut up for prop sticks etc for swingers.