Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Area 5 Chrono low?

I made major and I'm not ranting or whining.

A few people from my home club shot Area 5 this year. Everyone made major but the velocities at the chrono stage were lower than what we had all gotten when we chronoed our ammo before the match.

Anyone else have a similar experience at the A5 chrono this year? Just curious.

Brad

I made major and I'm not ranting or whining.

A few people from my home club shot Area 5 this year. Everyone made major but the velocities at the chrono stage were lower than what we had all gotten when we chronoed our ammo before the match.

Anyone else have a similar experience at the A5 chrono this year? Just curious.

Brad

I ran area 5 with the same ammo I used at the SSN - my PF was the same at both, and both were hotter than my readings at home.

At Area 5 I went 129.x, which is quite slow for me.

At the OH Sectional about a month prior the same load (different "batch" but same spec) went 133.x.

My personal chrono (Pro-Chrono Digital) puts that load at 134.x consistently, and before this A5 I've never been more than 2PF off between my chrono and a match chrono.

ETA: There were a few other folks on my squad who commented it seemed to be running a bit slow, though everyone made their target PF.

Edited by Jay870

I have had good results, the last 2 years chrono at area 5 where pretty much identical with my Chrony F1 but when I chrony at home i do it on a cloudy day with no screens and I add 50 FPS buffer and thats where im always at.

I have had good results, the last 2 years chrono at area 5 where pretty much identical with my Chrony F1 but when I chrony at home i do it on a cloudy day with no screens and I add 50 FPS buffer and thats where im always at.

Yikes! Adding a 50 fps buffer is equivalent to having a 9 PF buffer for 180gn, 10 PF buffer for 200gn, and 6.2 PF buffer for 124gn.

So if I'm reading that correctly, if you were shooting Major, with a 180gn bullet and following the recommended target 171 PF, you would actually be making a load that goes at 180 PF. For minor, with a 124gn bullet following the recommended target 132-134 PF, then you would actually be making a load that goes at 138-140 PF.

If I'm misreading how you are using the 50 fps buffer, then the only other way I can interpret it is that with a Major 180gn bullet then you are actually making a 162 PF bullet and then adding 9 to get to the recommend 171 PF. I don't think the 162 PF will be considered major. At least for a minor 124gn bullet, a 126-128 PF to get to the recommended 132-134 PF will definitely still make minor.

Yikes! Adding a 50 fps buffer is equivalent to having a 9 PF buffer for 180gn, 10 PF buffer for 200gn, and 6.2 PF buffer for 124gn.

So if I'm reading that correctly, if you were shooting Major, with a 180gn bullet and following the recommended target 171 PF, you would actually be making a load that goes at 180 PF. For minor, with a 124gn bullet following the recommended target 132-134 PF, then you would actually be making a load that goes at 138-140 PF.

If I'm misreading how you are using the 50 fps buffer, then the only other way I can interpret it is that with a Major 180gn bullet then you are actually making a 162 PF bullet and then adding 9 to get to the recommend 171 PF. I don't think the 162 PF will be considered major. At least for a minor 124gn bullet, a 126-128 PF to get to the recommended 132-134 PF will definitely still make minor.

with a 165 grain bullet i need 1000 fps, when the slowest of my bullets hit 1050 on my chrono I'm good, my slowest was 1048 my highest was 1100 powerfactor 175.9