Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 4/G35 * slide warrantee work *

maestro pistolero

I just got off the phone with Glock. Gen4/G35 with serial numbers starting with RAE will be getting slide replacements with a design modification in the nose ring area.

The replacement side will have the same serial number as the original. You only need to send the slide, not the frame.

There is no charge for the replacement, I was told to ignore the billing info on this form:

GLOCK, Inc.

Technical Service Department

6000 Highlands Pkwy Smyrna, Georgia30082U.S.A.

U.S.A.

Tel. (770) 432-1202 Fax. (770) 437-4701

Warranty Customer Contact Information

Customer Name: ____________________________ Contact Number: __________________ Address: ____________________________________________________________________

Email Address:_______________________________________________________________

Serial Number: ___________________Model Number: ________________________

Services Requested:________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Payment ( If required ) Visa____MC_____ DC______Check/ Money order _________ C C # _____________________________________________________ Expiration date ______________Security code _______

===============================

===============================

[edit to add]

Regarding my recent post about Glock G35/Gen slide modification offered by Glock

Upon investigation, I have learned that a product recall, per se, is a very specific status and process that usually includes an unsafe product and involves government notification etc..

The slide warrantee work that Glock is offering does not rise to the level of a formal product recall in any way. There is no information that this issue presents a safety hazard, but is merely an upgrade that Glock is offering for Gen 4 G/35s ONLY with serial numbers that start with RAE.

My apologies for the improper use of the word 'recall' as it pertains to this issue.

Sincerely,

Maestro Pistolero

Edited by Flexmoney

What is the issue?

I believe it has something to do with relieving clearance in the area where the front of the recoil spring sits. My Gen4/35 has run flawlessly. Honestly, this doesn't concern me very much at all.

If they want to do something for free that improves functionality and reliability on my already functional and reliable gun, great.

Hmmm,

I have a Gen 4 G35 with number RAExxx and have had no issues with it with either major rounds with the stock recoil spring or minor (for production and IDPA) with a Jager Gen 4 Polymer with a 13 lb spring for my 131 PF loads.

I guess I'll call Glock tomorrow but they won't be getting my slide any time soon since I will be shooting a local USPSA match this weekend and then the PA State Steel Challenge the following weekend. I guess it'll have to wait until then.

Whatever will be will be. Just have to sell off the last few of my Gen 3s and I'll be set with all new Gen 4s...love them with the largest backstrap...finally fit my hand.

Later, Lumpy.

Hi Lumpy and anyone else who's shot Minor on the Gen 4 G35s,

I have a one-month-old G35 Gen 4, and it keeps jamming when I shoot 130 PF PF loads through it. I'm guessing the factory spring is too strong for the Minor load, preventing the slide from fully kicking back.

1) How did you decide on a 13 lb spring (vs, say, a 12 pound or a 14 pound spring)?

2) If I want to use a weaker spring, do I just need to buy the spring? Or a spring + guide rod? Or do I have to specifically get a dual-spring "kit"? Apologies -- this is my first ever Glock, and I'm not that familiar with it.

3) Where did you buy your 13 lb spring / kit?

Thanks!

Hmmm,

I have a Gen 4 G35 with number RAExxx and have had no issues with it with either major rounds with the stock recoil spring or minor (for production and IDPA) with a Jager Gen 4 Polymer with a 13 lb spring for my 131 PF loads.

I guess I'll call Glock tomorrow but they won't be getting my slide any time soon since I will be shooting a local USPSA match this weekend and then the PA State Steel Challenge the following weekend. I guess it'll have to wait until then.

Whatever will be will be. Just have to sell off the last few of my Gen 3s and I'll be set with all new Gen 4s...love them with the largest backstrap...finally fit my hand.

Later, Lumpy.

I posted this information on my blog site, today I received an e-mail from Glock asking me to remove my post on my blog, as they claim the post was completely false. Here is the content of the e-mail.

Hello,

My name is Megan Harvey; I'm the Public Relations representative for GLOCK, Inc., and would like to speak with someone regarding the recent post announcing GLOCK's recall of the G35 Gen4 ( http://zombietacticaloutfitters.com/glock-35gen-4-recall/).

This is a completely false post, and we are requesting the immediate removal of it from your site. We are also requesting the information regarding the origin of this post, as we would like to ensure that no further false information is released.

Please call me immediately or reply to this message indicating the removal of the post, and the additional information requested.

Thank you.

I can be reached at: 678.507.1066.

Megan Harvey

Account Executive, Public Relations

LEADER ENTERPRISES, INC.

1775 Woodstock Road, Suite 200

Roswell, GA 30075

o: 678.507.1066

f: 678.507.1012

c: 678.231.5462

www.leaderenterprises.com

I have a Gen 4 G35 that has functioned perfectly so far. I read this on another forum and called Glock the next day to double check which serial numbers it pertains to. Glock informed me that they were only interested in slides with serial number RAE.

Im not sure why Mrs. Harvey is claiming it to be false when Glock technicians are saying that they are replacing the slides... :sight:

Apparently the issue is with the recessed cut where the recoil spring sits on the frame.

Im no expert this is just what I have gathered..

Because Glock doesn't like the word "Recall". They are afraid of a word and instead of advertising the issues (replacement slides in this case) they would rather have firearms out there that don't function well for the user. My purpose in posting it was not to make Glock look bad, but to alert my readers who may own these Glocks to get them fixed.

To claim "This is a completely false post, and we are requesting the immediate removal of it from your site" shows me how Glock reacts to inaccurate, or incorrectly worded but factual information.

I've spoken to both Glock and Megan.

According to Glock:

1) There ARE problems with some G35 Gen 4 slides (e.g., those with RAE serial numbers)

2) You SHOULD send it back to Glock to be repaired / replaced

The original posting is obviously not a "completely false post", as this Megan Harvey claims. Some would say she is doing a very risky spin job / committing fraudulent misrepresentation by suggesting / indicating that there isn't anything wrong with some Gen4 G35s. There obviously is a problem.

In any case, I suggest always going directly to the company, which is in this case, Glock, to find out if you need to get your Glock fixed, instead of this third party.

I called today, My G-35 is one that could benefit from the new slide. The tech said it is only a small number of guns that will need to be updated. RAE000 through RAE8XX so at most 899 guns. He also said it would be several weeks after I send my slide to receive my updated slide. :angry2: I guess I will have to break out my 17. This may be a good time to get a Brazo's Custom limited gun... one can dream you know

:cheers:

Update: Delayed

My slide has been sitting in receiving since the 5th, as they have moved to a new building and are experiencing a delay in processing warrantee work.

Also, they are waiting on springs from Austria. at least another week just for that.

Apparently the new slide cut is to accommodate a spring design change, not the other way around.

That's how it was explained to me by the phone rep Dan. It was still a dual recoil spring setup, and mine worked great but if they are changing something at their expense there must be good reason in my opinion. It seems they don't want stray models out there that won't accept the new current spring design they have settled on. On guy at ARFCOM, an LE officer made arrangements to keep his slide for duty while they sent the new one, so he had an opportunity to compare them, and could not discern any difference in the recess of the nose ring. His old recoil spring fit the new slide. he didn't say whether they sent a new spring. Apparently it's the new recoil springs that won't fit the old slide.

So, it would be fair to say there is nothing wrong with the slides in question per se, but that Glock has simply gone to a new spring system and wants all the slides out there to be compatible with the new system?

That's my understanding as of today. If anyone has contradictory or supplementary info, please post it. It doesn't seem as if we are going to get an official, detailed explanation from Glock, except in bits and pieces on the phone with reps. So far, this is the most cohesive, plausible, and recent explanation of the slide replacement program. (or whatever it is they're calling it).

So, the motivation appears to be that this is not actually a recall of defective slides, but a desire on Glock's part that, in the future when owners need to replace their recoil springs, they can do so with the currently produced and supplied, easily available springs?

So, it would be fair to say there is nothing wrong with the slides in question per se,...

Did that PR firm take you out to dinner? LOL

Something is wrong with them, or they wouldn't want them back. That doesn't mean they are broken or dangerous. Hard to tell what it means without Glock actually coming out (officially) and saying...which they don't often seem to do.

I agree with flexmoney.

1) Something is wrong with the slide of certain G35s. If nothing were wrong, they wouldn't be asking people to send it back to be replaced, fixed, “adjusted”, etc.

2) The cost –both in $ and in reputation – to fixing/replacing/adjusting all these slides is significant, and Glock, like any for-profit company, would not be expending such $ if the cost of NOT fixing the problem (e.g., guns breaking, injuries to people and subsequent, damage to reputation) were less than the costs of fixing them.

3) Glock has become the #1 handgun company because they have the #1 reputation for RELIABILITY: Glocks are known for always working, never jamming, working rain or shine, etc. Consequently, they are extremely protective of this reputation of reliability – once people start thinking you can’t rely on a Glock, why put up with the long trigger pull, the less than ideal, limp-wrist-intolerant ergonomics, etc. when there are tons of other guns out there? Thus, even if something is wrong with any of their guns, Glock has exerted the maximum effort to deny such things to protect their reputation for reliability. I am not saying that there has been a lot of defects with Glocks – I’m just saying that they’ve done their best to deny that any such defects (whether real or otherwise) exist because they have every reason to do so. Thus, it’s not surprising that they’re saying that nothing’s wrong with certain G35 slides. But in the same way, you shouldn’t necessarily believe them.

4) To give you an example, I called Glock several times last week to figure out why a Jaeger guide rod I got wouldn’t fit properly into my G35. Technical support kept insisting that the problem was with the guide rod and that I contact the manufacturer. It was only AFTER 15 minutes, after I had convinced the rep that the guide rod works fine in other G35s, that there’s nothing wrong with it, that I had spoken to Jaeger Products, etc. that the rep finally admitted that certain G35s had slides with different measurements (he said: “Well… we actually started milling the new slides differently with a counter-bore, so that’s why certain guide rods will fit differently in some G35s…”). If it took that long to get the rep to admit that certain slides were different – even though there wasn’t a defect issue, you can only imagine how much more difficult it would be to get them to admit that there’s something wrong with a Glock.

So, it would be fair to say there is nothing wrong with the slides in question per se,...

Did that PR firm take you out to dinner? LOL

Something is wrong with them, or they wouldn't want them back. That doesn't mean they are broken or dangerous. Hard to tell what it means without Glock actually coming out (officially) and saying...which they don't often seem to do.

1) Something is wrong with the slide of certain G35s. If nothing were wrong, they wouldn't be asking people to send it back to be replaced, fixed, “adjusted”, etc.

That may be a little over simplifying things, unless I have been given wrong information. A design change to accommodate a new spring design isn't necessarily the same thing as correcting a slide that is somehow inherently defective. But I share your frustration with the lack of forthcoming information from Glock. It accomplishes the opposite of inspiring trust and confidence.