Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

KKM our Lone wolf on my 34?

Glockdirtyfour

Hi

I am looking to do a drop in barrel upgrade on my glock 34. How would you compare the lone wolf vs KKM in accuracy and grouping and quality? Also what type of gains from going with one of these aftermarket barrels compared to the stock one? I do plan on GTAW and machining it down for tighter barrel lock up. Has anyone tested both back to back before?

Thanks.

Edited by Glockdirtyfour

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly you probably won't see any difference (or atleast very little) in accuracy on any drop in barrel. Not unless you have a bad barrel or a TON of rounds down your stock barrel. Also, you'll probably going to lose a little in fps, as Glock barrels with their rifling tend to shoot a little faster and going to a conventional button cut rifling barrel will probably cost you 1-2% in fps and you'll need an extra .1 of powder to make up the difference.

I'd either fork out the extra for a fully fitted barrel or just shoot what you have.

But KKM is much better than LW, in my opinion.

Edited by jrbet83

I've got a couple of Glock open guns with KKM barrels they shoot great but KKM isn't very friendly if you have a problem. At least they weren't a few years ago when I stopped dealing with them because they wouldn't stand behind their products.

Your stock barrel is more accurate than you are. OTOH if you are buying the barrel to shoot lead bullets don't waste your money. I have been shooting lead bullets out of a stock barrel for close to 10 years. However if you just want a "cool" look then go with the LWD barrel.

I have all three of those barrels and I would pick the Glock first, kkm second, and Lone Wolf third. Since you already have a Glock barrel I would stick with that. The KKM seems to be of better quality than the Lone Wolf but they all shoot fine. I like the looser chamber of the Glock and actually opened up the lone wolf a bit so it would feed heavy bullets a bit better. I polished my Glock barrel up one day when I was bored and it even looks better than the other two.

If you want to just shoot lead/moly bullets with less worry about leading but are happy with stock accuracy then just get the lone wolf and send your dummy ammo in to have them ream the barrel.

If you want more accuracy, get a KKM gunsmith fit barrel.

Otherwise just stick with the stocker.

I have had a fair share of LW barrels in my Glocks. I have had a G22 replacement, G22 Threaded Barrel, G35 Barrel, and a 22-9MM Conversion barrel which I currently use. The only barrel I have had problems with was the G35 which was also in a LW Slide. Not sure which one was giving me problems but even after having the LW barrel reamed out to match the Glock barrel chamber I was still having problems. Since then, I have bought a orginal G35 barrel to use.

People will have different opinions on what barrels are the best however, I see no difference in LW VS. KKM Match barrels. They both shoot lead bullets and thats aboout it. Overall, I would stick with your Glock barrel and call it a day.

Blcksmk

I have had a few KKM barrels, and no problems with them. I have one LWD .40 to 9mm conversion barrel and I am not totally satisfied as it has a very tight chamber. LWD did offer to open it up a bit and I may send it back yet.

In the meantime, I bought a Gen 4 Glock 17 so I almost never use the LWD barrel anyway!

Steer clear of Lone Wolf. They seem to having quality control issues lately. A friend ordered a stainless slide and barrel from and both have issues. The rear sight cut is too big and his Dawson sights fell out as soon as you touched the slide. Sent it back, they it for a month and returned it with what looked like chisel marks in the bottom of the cut. The barrel had a flat spot in the chamber, easily fixed by the gunsmith. He will probably never spend another dollar with Lone Wolf.

I am looking to do a drop in barrel upgrade on my glock 34.

There is likely no upgrade to be had (except for luck of the draw).

Factory Glock barrels are good barrels. They shoot straight, feed well, and group well.

One would only likely see improvement with a "fit" barrel from the aftermarket, not drop in.

Your Glock barrel should be more accurate than most shooters.

I do own a few KKM barrels. I do like them. But, I didn't buy them for accuracy reasons (open gun barrel with compensator, caliber conversion, etc.). However, in my current match gun, I am still running the stock G34 barrel.

I helped LWD develop their barrels. Still have a couple of unmarked prototypes. They shoot OK. The G34 barrel groups a bit better than my stock barrel. The G35 barrel is about the same as stock. I did have the chamber enlarged with the G34 barrel to .001" under the stock barrel. The 9mm LWD barrels have a very tight chamber unless they have changed.

This summer we did the great glock barrel test. Looking for the most accurate load using moly Bear Creek 130, 147, 158 and 160g.

3 gen3 g 34's

My 34 stock barrel best groups 3-4" @ 30y 158g

My 34 smith fit KKM best groups 2.5-3.5" @ 30y 147g

Other 2 smith fit Briley and Bar-sto g34's 2.5-3.5" 147g

You do gain a small degree of accuracy but in USPSA our A zone is 6"x12".

You might be able to squeeze more accuracy with more expensive bullets but we wanted to keep it what was available to us locally.

Bianchi might be worth the extra expense but for USPSA the stock barrel is plenty good enough.

Real USPSA shooters, GM, M and B class. 3 guns and the KKM and barsto fit by the same excellent smith.

Hope that helps.

Got a good deal on an EFK Fire Dragon for my G34. Was more accurate but chamber was really tight. Not as reliable as the stock which I went back to. Took a dremel to it so it shines and for me is just as good, epecially the reliability.

This summer we did the great glock barrel test. Looking for the most accurate load using moly Bear Creek 130, 147, 158 and 160g.

3 gen3 g 34's

My 34 stock barrel best groups 3-4" @ 30y 158g

My 34 smith fit KKM best groups 2.5-3.5" @ 30y 147g

Other 2 smith fit Briley and Bar-sto g34's 2.5-3.5" 147g

You do gain a small degree of accuracy but in USPSA our A zone is 6"x12".

You might be able to squeeze more accuracy with more expensive bullets but we wanted to keep it what was available to us locally.

Bianchi might be worth the extra expense but for USPSA the stock barrel is plenty good enough.

Real USPSA shooters, GM, M and B class. 3 guns and the KKM and barsto fit by the same excellent smith.

Hope that helps.

Key there is likely the fit...vs. drop in.

I'm with Flex, unless you are going to get the new barrel that's oversize and get it fitted I don't really see any point...

I've never seen anyone get much of an improvement out of a drop-in, as said, with the drop-in's it's pure luck, one could actually lose accuracy in some cases if the fit ends up poorer than the factory barrel, and I have seen that once before.

Guess if you're going to shoot lead and are concerned, that's one thing, but I shoot with many guys who shoot lots and lots of lead out of their stock barrels and have no issues whatsoever (they just clean 'em).

• 2 weeks later...