Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Food cravings

tracker

Many times in the afternoon I get food cravings. Usually for carbs/sweets. This even happens after begining the day with a good breakfast and having lunch. Am I eating the wrong foods? Not enough? Or is it in my head?

Rich

Since I switched to using peanut butter on my breakfast bread (English muffin, bagel, frozen waffle) from butter or cream cheese I am much less hungry by lunchtime. I saw the peanut butter thing on a morning TV show. PBJ is my go-to "match lunch". I think they say you need to protein to fight off hunger.

It even beats a sausage/egg/cheese sandwich in the morning.

Snacks: Fruit anytime. I buy frozen diced mixed fruit to take to work for a snack.

I've lost 20 pounds over 2 months, another 25 to go.

David E.

• 1 month later...

I'll tell you some of my main things. They are partially aimed at avoiding bowls of cold cereal and chips between meals. But other reasons (for my strategies) are heart health and to be thin before starting to exercise rather than exercising while not thin (less fun). In one case I started my oatmeal idea because I was taking a nice baglunch to work but was eating it at 10 am, which was not good when lunchtime arrived. That was 25 years ago. The job has evolved away from that problem but I still like the "absentee oatmeal". I get a heavy pot and top ready by boiling the right amount of water in it. Then I turn off the stove so I can add the old fashioned oatmeal and put the top on and leave the room for 10 minutes minimum. The oatmeal cooks about 80% and can't burn or boil over. I return, and add/build around that. You can't please others with this, but I think it's great! It enabled me to save my lunch until 12 or 1.

Now, this bowl of oatmeal with added cold cereal and sugar and fruit and milk needs one more thing - that is fat. Add some fat. virgin olive oil is the way to go - it seems harder to counterfeit and tastes better than the salad type.

add the same oil to every low-fat bar, low-fat protein shake that you eat. also, if you like bread/muffins/cookies, try to make them just so you can bake with various expensive oils - safflower, sunflower, olive - bakeries cannot afford to use these oils. See? you're taking control of what the fats are in the baked goods.You can eat a lot more and will put on weight much slower. More expensive the oil, the more nutritious. And the better it metabolizes. the slower it will make you fat.

last thing I do and like: drinking a lot of seltzer water - preferably in one of those stainless-steel insulated coffee cups. Maybe there's a bad aspect to it. But my points about seltzer water are that it doesn't contain elements that would hurt your teeth, and it feels pretty good in the stomach. I use Polar. Not their flavored sodas with the natural sugar but their seltzer water flavored or not. The soda is nice, but you can't drink as much as you like of that. The seltzer you can, I'm guessing. (end)

• 2 weeks later...

Stay away from the sweets. I love Snickers bars. I use to eat them all the time for a mid morning and mid afternoon snack. I'm not a big guy, only 5'8". I quit buying them to have in the cabinet so I couldn't get one just anytime I wanted. I lost 12 pounds in 5 weeks just by cutting those out.

As Americans we're addicted to sugar. Or high fructose corn syrup for that matter. I'm not drinking soda anymore and am trying to cut down the fast food. But damn, that fast food is good sometimes!!! I used to live on that stuff and grew up on it too. Stems from growing up with two working parents who left me to my own devices and 5 dollars. I still crave the Mexican pizza from Taco Hell and Chicken Nuggets!

Staying away from the carbs will be your best bet. When you eat carbs they are digested quickly (even the whole grains) and they can cause problems with elevating your insulin levels. Eating something that is more fat/protein oriented will keep you satiated longer and doesn't have much effect on insulin. Some almonds or beef jerky are usually my go to snacks. Having a breakfast that is light on the carbs will keep you feeling full longer and prevent the cravings later on.

• 2 weeks later...

Carbohydrates are not the enemy..."Simple" Carbohydrates are the enemy.

"dangucci" is correct about carbohydrates adversely impacting your insulin levels, but lets go a little bit more in depth with this and understand why simple carbohydrates lead to a rapid onset of hunger cravings.

First, how do I know what is a simple Carbohyrate, and what is a complex carbohydrate???

Simple carbohydrates are simple enough to be digested by ordinary saliva in the mouth.

Complex carbohydrates require G.I. digestive juices to break them down.

Take the test for your self...Sugar, Saltine Cracker, Rice (Steamed), Oatmeal (Raw) and really anything else you wish to try. Pop a small amount (Half teaspoonful) in your mouth and wait 45 seconds or so. Then (your choice here...) either spit it back out and examine it, or mull it over and consider it while it's still in your mouth before you swallow it...eitherway, the question is: Did it begin to break down? Can I clearly identifiy this as whatever it was before it sat in my mouth?

Sugar, Saltine cracker...No.

Oatmeal, Steamed rice...yes.

Other than being an interesting science fair project in the making, what does this tell me? Well, if simple carbohydrates begin to break down before they even reach the stomach, then they will likely not leave me feeling full for very long. This IS true...However, because they are absorbed so rapidly simple carbohydrates lead to an insulin imbalance which is far more detrimental on your appetite and cravings system than just how quickly they are absorbed.

Insulin is a compound released into the blood stream by the pancreas to aid in the breakdown and absorbtion of simple sugars in the blood stream. When your body recieves a major dose of simple carbohydrates (i.e.- a snicker's bar, a cookie, a glob of ice cream, etc.) this causes an immediate spike in blood sugar levels. The body's natural response to blood sugar spikes is flood the blood stream with insulin to assist in the regulation of blood sugar levels...The problems lay in the fact that the body doesn't have an exact measuring system in place for the insulin it releases. The body continues to release insulin until the endocrine system recieves a chemical signal indicating that blood sugar levels are acceptable. However...that signal does not occur until a little while after the blood sugar levels have been stabilized.

That means that for a short period of time the body is still dumping insulin into the blood stream when blood sugar levels are already stabilized.

Well, here's where the cravings begin...If insulin is the body's response/reaction to elevated blood sugar levels, then what do you think is body's response/reaction to elevated insulin levels???

That's right...Sugar Cravings!!!

So, 35-45 mins after you ate that snicker's bar, you find your self craving a piece of choclate...or a soda...or a few cheeto's. Guess what...when you eat those simple carbohydrates to satisfy your cravings you probably didn't have an exact measurement system in place to deal with exactly how much insulin was in your blood stream. After you gave the body the blood sugar increase it needed, it took a little while for the chemical signals to reach the proper channels to shut off the craving alarm.

The result...now you have another spike in blood sugar. The body's response...Dump more insulin.

This self repeating cycle can be very, very annoying at best. However, if left unchecked this viscious cycle can and all too often does lead to Type 2 diabetes...where the pancreas/indocrine system can no longer produce enough insulin to keep up with the day-to-day routine of chasing the carbohydrate craving cycle.

So, what is there to do about it...seriously reduce your intake of simple carbohydrates. Make no mistake, Carbohydrates are the immediate fuel source your body has, and simple carbohydrates are the most immediate fuel source the body can have (i.e.-Sugar buzzes in kids). Complex carbohydrates take a longer period of time to be digested by the body, and therefore the body can (and does) adjust it's "blood sugar vs insulin" levels more gradually. The result...no cravings, no insulin roller coaster, and you simply feel fuller longer.

Don't believe me, try it out.

It will take your body about 3 days to fully stabilize itself to try this experiment, so go for a simple 3 day diet first. Oatmeal with real raisins in it (no sugar) and a bannana for breakfast, a sandwich and a half (7 grain bread *NO WHITE BREAD*, real deli sliced meat, mustard, lettuce, tomato, salt pepper, even a slice of deli quality cheese if you like) for lunch, and a dinner that includes steamed rice, a lean meat (chicken breast in olive oil and spices works awesome) and a steamed vegetable (Steamed broccoli for me).

For those three days your body will thank you, but your mind will fight you (but only a little). You are setting yourself up to where complex carbohydrates are your body's primary fuel source. Your body was probably used to a certain ammount of simple carbohydrates. Your body will crave these..but not "too bad." Resist these urges, its only 3 days anyway.

After those 3 days you should start to notice how your body craves certain foods, and when. Now comes the test. After lunch (at least 1 hour after your last bite) on day 3 eat one snicker's bar...or whatever sweet junk food you choose, as long as it is at least one full serving of that junk food. Then set your watch, and anywhere from 20-45 minutes later you should find yourself locked into the depths of a classic sugar craving.

Why torture yourself like this? To prove not to your body, but to your mind that the food you eat can and does have an impact on what you want to eat and when.

Now, if you want to avoid that viscious cycle, try going back on that simple 3 day diet, then expand your food selection and pay careful attention to your cravings. If you did this experiment correctly, you should be able to pick up on whether or not something you are eating is starting to lead you astray. All you have to do is ask yourself; "I just ate an hour ago...why am I just now hungry again?" Then simply avoid that food, or perhaps find better alternative.

oh yeah...last note...oatmeal without sugar..."yuck" right? Try oatmeal with trail mix in it. Drop equal amounts of raw oatmeal and trail mix, (Nut based, not dried fruit based...and none with "M&M's" in it......I prefer Kroger's "Cranberry Nut Trail Mix") into a bowl and add steaming hot water. The hot water softens the trail mix while cooking the oats and it tastes great. I eat this and a bannana for breakfast and am full 'til lunch every day.

BTW...I'm a self recovered "Fat Body" myself. Once I learned why my body was craving whatever it was craving I knew how to defeat those cravings. Any diet that leaves you hungry is a bad diet...the key is to find a sustainable diet that always leaves you satisfied with healthy foods.

Just my .02 Cents.

• 4 weeks later...

One thing to keep in mind is if you eliminate these things from your diet, it will take several days, but once out of your system, you will stop craving them. Stay strong through that first few days and then you will not believe how little you think about it. Another piece of "food for thought" (yes, pun intended) is that sometimes, if you have a food allergy or intolerance your body actually CRAVES that food. I used to have cravings for carbs and it turned out that I have a gluten intolerance. If you have eliminated something from your diet but still have cravings for it after a while, it may be worth looking into, especially if you have other unexplained health problems or digestive problems.

Carbohydrates are not the enemy..."Simple" Carbohydrates are the enemy.

"dangucci" is correct about carbohydrates adversely impacting your insulin levels, but lets go a little bit more in depth with this and understand why simple carbohydrates lead to a rapid onset of hunger cravings.

First, how do I know what is a simple Carbohyrate, and what is a complex carbohydrate???

Simple carbohydrates are simple enough to be digested by ordinary saliva in the mouth.

Complex carbohydrates require G.I. digestive juices to break them down.

Take the test for your self...Sugar, Saltine Cracker, Rice (Steamed), Oatmeal (Raw) and really anything else you wish to try. Pop a small amount (Half teaspoonful) in your mouth and wait 45 seconds or so. Then (your choice here...) either spit it back out and examine it, or mull it over and consider it while it's still in your mouth before you swallow it...eitherway, the question is: Did it begin to break down? Can I clearly identifiy this as whatever it was before it sat in my mouth?

Sugar, Saltine cracker...No.

Oatmeal, Steamed rice...yes.

Other than being an interesting science fair project in the making, what does this tell me? Well, if simple carbohydrates begin to break down before they even reach the stomach, then they will likely not leave me feeling full for very long. This IS true...However, because they are absorbed so rapidly simple carbohydrates lead to an insulin imbalance which is far more detrimental on your appetite and cravings system than just how quickly they are absorbed.

Insulin is a compound released into the blood stream by the pancreas to aid in the breakdown and absorbtion of simple sugars in the blood stream. When your body recieves a major dose of simple carbohydrates (i.e.- a snicker's bar, a cookie, a glob of ice cream, etc.) this causes an immediate spike in blood sugar levels. The body's natural response to blood sugar spikes is flood the blood stream with insulin to assist in the regulation of blood sugar levels...The problems lay in the fact that the body doesn't have an exact measuring system in place for the insulin it releases. The body continues to release insulin until the endocrine system recieves a chemical signal indicating that blood sugar levels are acceptable. However...that signal does not occur until a little while after the blood sugar levels have been stabilized.

That means that for a short period of time the body is still dumping insulin into the blood stream when blood sugar levels are already stabilized.

Well, here's where the cravings begin...If insulin is the body's response/reaction to elevated blood sugar levels, then what do you think is body's response/reaction to elevated insulin levels???

That's right...Sugar Cravings!!!

So, 35-45 mins after you ate that snicker's bar, you find your self craving a piece of choclate...or a soda...or a few cheeto's. Guess what...when you eat those simple carbohydrates to satisfy your cravings you probably didn't have an exact measurement system in place to deal with exactly how much insulin was in your blood stream. After you gave the body the blood sugar increase it needed, it took a little while for the chemical signals to reach the proper channels to shut off the craving alarm.

The result...now you have another spike in blood sugar. The body's response...Dump more insulin.

This self repeating cycle can be very, very annoying at best. However, if left unchecked this viscious cycle can and all too often does lead to Type 2 diabetes...where the pancreas/indocrine system can no longer produce enough insulin to keep up with the day-to-day routine of chasing the carbohydrate craving cycle.

So, what is there to do about it...seriously reduce your intake of simple carbohydrates. Make no mistake, Carbohydrates are the immediate fuel source your body has, and simple carbohydrates are the most immediate fuel source the body can have (i.e.-Sugar buzzes in kids). Complex carbohydrates take a longer period of time to be digested by the body, and therefore the body can (and does) adjust it's "blood sugar vs insulin" levels more gradually. The result...no cravings, no insulin roller coaster, and you simply feel fuller longer.

Don't believe me, try it out.

It will take your body about 3 days to fully stabilize itself to try this experiment, so go for a simple 3 day diet first. Oatmeal with real raisins in it (no sugar) and a bannana for breakfast, a sandwich and a half (7 grain bread *NO WHITE BREAD*, real deli sliced meat, mustard, lettuce, tomato, salt pepper, even a slice of deli quality cheese if you like) for lunch, and a dinner that includes steamed rice, a lean meat (chicken breast in olive oil and spices works awesome) and a steamed vegetable (Steamed broccoli for me).

For those three days your body will thank you, but your mind will fight you (but only a little). You are setting yourself up to where complex carbohydrates are your body's primary fuel source. Your body was probably used to a certain ammount of simple carbohydrates. Your body will crave these..but not "too bad." Resist these urges, its only 3 days anyway.

After those 3 days you should start to notice how your body craves certain foods, and when. Now comes the test. After lunch (at least 1 hour after your last bite) on day 3 eat one snicker's bar...or whatever sweet junk food you choose, as long as it is at least one full serving of that junk food. Then set your watch, and anywhere from 20-45 minutes later you should find yourself locked into the depths of a classic sugar craving.

Why torture yourself like this? To prove not to your body, but to your mind that the food you eat can and does have an impact on what you want to eat and when.

Now, if you want to avoid that viscious cycle, try going back on that simple 3 day diet, then expand your food selection and pay careful attention to your cravings. If you did this experiment correctly, you should be able to pick up on whether or not something you are eating is starting to lead you astray. All you have to do is ask yourself; "I just ate an hour ago...why am I just now hungry again?" Then simply avoid that food, or perhaps find better alternative.

oh yeah...last note...oatmeal without sugar..."yuck" right? Try oatmeal with trail mix in it. Drop equal amounts of raw oatmeal and trail mix, (Nut based, not dried fruit based...and none with "M&M's" in it......I prefer Kroger's "Cranberry Nut Trail Mix") into a bowl and add steaming hot water. The hot water softens the trail mix while cooking the oats and it tastes great. I eat this and a bannana for breakfast and am full 'til lunch every day.

BTW...I'm a self recovered "Fat Body" myself. Once I learned why my body was craving whatever it was craving I knew how to defeat those cravings. Any diet that leaves you hungry is a bad diet...the key is to find a sustainable diet that always leaves you satisfied with healthy foods.

Just my .02 Cents.

For a change, I do raisins and dates in my oatmeal.

This is one of my biggest struggles. I've been cycling a lot lately, and eating better, but I always crave sugar. I feel sluggish if I don't eat some kind of sugar.

I usually get my sugar fix by making a smoothie with an orange or two, grapes, banana, berries, etc.

But it sucks to cut all the bread/pasta/carbs out of your diet but still need that insulin boost to feel whole.

I fear I'll never get over it.

This is one of my biggest struggles. I've been cycling a lot lately, and eating better, but I always crave sugar. I feel sluggish if I don't eat some kind of sugar.

I usually get my sugar fix by making a smoothie with an orange or two, grapes, banana, berries, etc.

But it sucks to cut all the bread/pasta/carbs out of your diet but still need that insulin boost to feel whole.

I fear I'll never get over it.

I am the same way, but like I said in a previous post, it is hard but if you can cut it (refined sugar) out of your diet, you can usually get rid of the cravings. The smoothie idea is great!

• 1 year later...

Stay away from sweets or anything that gives you insulin spikes. Big breakfast of eggs, bacon and a banana in the morning will last until lunch. Keep nuts like pecans, cashews, almonds and walnuts around for snacks. That should help eliminate that craving and crash period.

• 4 weeks later...

Stay away from sweets or anything that gives you insulin spikes. Big breakfast of eggs, bacon and a banana in the morning will last until lunch. Keep nuts like pecans, cashews, almonds and walnuts around for snacks. That should help eliminate that craving and crash period.

+1 Protein and fat are by far the most satiating food types. I wouldn't even mess with any carbohydrate in the morning to be honest. Your body naturally releases cortisol upon waking. This stress hormone turns on a number of different functions in the body, including production of glucose. Dosing your body with more glucose now adds a load that the body (insulin) can't handle, thus fat storage takes place. I'd also stay away from grains, as they are not a nutrient dense food source and can be problematic for some folks. Vegetables, fruit, and roots & tubers would be my recommendation. Good luck to you.