Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Duke Quotes

AikiDale

One of my favorite Duke quotes:

"Hey!"

Yeah, it's sorta short, but it was right before he hit Curly across the forehead with an ax handle in "Sons of Katie Elder".

:lol::lol::lol:

My favorite Katie Elder quote is "Billy, you're trying awfully hard not to tell me something." (Wayne to the local sheriff who is trying to avoid telling him that the family ranch has been taken over by the local scoundrel, knowing that Wayne is a well-known gun fighter and will probably want to do something about it.)

That was Paul Fix, a.k.a., Billy, who also spent a lot of time playing the marshall on "The Rifleman". I read an interview once where John Wayne credited Paul with teaching him his distinctive walk. I later saw some early movies that Mr. Fix played in as a gangster and the walk was there!

The trick was to point you toes as you walk. :lol:

Edited by ima45dv8

• 2 months later...

"We came here to take St. Mere-Eglise. We're going to take it and hold it."

John Wayne (who was 55) as Lt. Col. Vandervoort (2d Battalion/505th who was something like 27 in 1944) in the Longest Day

For some reason, I always really liked that quote. It captures the essence of the Normandy invasion.

Other good ones:

"That's my steak, Valence" The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

"Burdett! Nathan Burdett!" Rio Bravo

I like the bit that comes just before Steve's favorite. I hope I remembered it correctly.

"I aim to kill you Ned or see you hanged at Fort Smith at Judge Parkers convenience, which'll it be?..

I like for the very matter of fact way he says it.

Then comes Ned with "I call that pretty bold talk for a one-eyed fat man" then

"Fill Your Hand You Sonofabitch" From True Grit

Steve

Edited by TMC

From "The Cowboys." Asa Watts (bad guy played by Bruce Dern) . . . contemplates fighting the old man, Wayne says

I'm twice your age, I've broke my back once, and my hip twice. And on my worst day I could still beat the hell out of you.

+1!