Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen3 or Gen4?

twister

A ) Do you have smaller than average or larger than average hands?

B ) If you want a 9mm, are you open to replacing the recoil spring assembly?

C ) Do you want a .40?

If you answered yes to A and either B or C, Then a Gen4 may be better for you, otherwise I'd go with a Gen3.

I answered yes to A and B. So I bought a Gen4, and at the same time I ordered a Jager RSA. Luckily my Gen4 didn't need it. The only issues I had were with the new extractor, which now exist on Gen3 and Gen4. I replaced mine with a LWD part when it started to act up and have not had any problems since.

Edited by PistoleroJesse

Those are pretty much the questions to ask yourself.

I have smaller hands and they sweat constantly, still have trouble getting a good grip on the Gen 4, but it is so much better than I can get on the Gen 3 frames. It's like night and day for my grip consistency. I have a 22 Gen 4 that I have about 1600 rounds through and have not had a single hiccup and a 19 Gen 4 I only have about 300 through with the 03 spring that has been flawless- but it is only 300 rounds. Glock is sending me the 04 spring but I'll likely just save it for later unless I encounter some issues.

As for the 40 s&w, I also found the recoil noticeably more manageable on the Gen 4, but I think a better grip helped me more than the new recoil spring. Never had any issues with Gen 3's either, but the grip change was big for me because I'm hesitant to get the grip stippled.

CM

The Glock you want is available brand-new in either Gen-3 or Gen-4 configuration. Which do you buy, and why?

Apologies for appropriating the title of another current thread, but that one wasn't a poll - though it was seeing it that inspired this poll.

Edit. Merged and poll added. - Admin.

Edited by Flexmoney

What I'd like is the stippling and changeable backstraps of the Gen 4 with the parts interchangeability and recoil system of the small frame Gen 3's. Since that ain't happening, my thoughts run along the same line as Jman's.

no advantage to the gen 4 at all but plenty of disadvantages

over sized mage release??? not really it should stick out more its non effective

the grips? can be changed with a dremmel tool or houge sleeve

the stippling took a step back the RTF was way way better

non interchangeable parts? wtf one of the keys to the lines success is the interchangeability of parts

new recoil system. I shoot 2 g17s one gen 3 one gen 4 right next to each other and with my 130 pf loads I saw no diff at all

gen 3 cheaper right now even for NIB

they had originally had plans for diffrent slide cuts wich the ones tht were "leaked" were way better than what came out.

I think the gen 4 is a step back, just because the xdm has changeable back straps doesnt mean the glock has to also

if they would have added front slide cuts to the gen 3.5 rtf and widened and extended the mag release it would have better than the gen 4 they put out imho

I think the gen 4 is a step back, just because the xdm has changeable back straps doesnt mean the glock has to also

I'll disagree. If Glock hadn't come out with the slimmer grip, I was going to go back to CZs because the Gen3 I had simply didn't fit my hand as well. I Tried to like it for a whole season, but it was a no go. My accuracy at speed has been better since I switched to Gen4.

Really, the smaller backstrap was the only thing I wanted. The texturing is nice, the new recoil spring I could do without, and the mag release was fixed for me by the Vickers part, although left handed shooters will probably like the new one better for obvious reasons.

Granted the non-interchangeable parts are a pain. But if you get rid of the new recoil spring assembly, the only non common parts turn out to be the trigger mechanism housing and the magazine release. I think we are all in agreement the next version should just stick with new MBS system and dump the rest.

The only reason I see to get a Gen 4 is if you shoot production and the Gen 3 grips don't fit your hand well. If shooting any other class I would take off the finger grooves, have a grip reduction if needed, and have frame stippled. Glock grips have always felt good in my hands so I see no reason to get a Gen 4. If they offered one with no finger grooves and a texture like my stippled ones I may be tempted but I would only want grip changes and nothing done to internals...Glocks worked fine before the Gen 4.

After literally years of trouble free function using Gen3's I was an early Gen4 adopter and regretted it having all kinds of issues with them. The SF grip and the other changes are not significant enough IMO to be worth the suspect, unreliable performance the Gen4 guns are known to deliver, sure there are some guys out there who've been lucky enough to get ones that run just fine, but the proportion of problem Gen4 guns out there seems to be greater than the proportion of all Gen1, Gen2, and Gen3 problem guns combined.

Even now there seems to be a new theory being thrown around every week or so on the forums as to why the Gen4's are having so many issues without any solid consensus as to what's exactly up with them without any statement from Glock, and over a year since their release that's worth considering.

When working a recent GSSF match as an SO I observed a scary amount of malf's involving many Gen4 guns compared to a single malf in a Gen3 over the course of the weekend, and the ratio of Gen3'd to Gen4's was probably 4 to 1, that's not coincidence.

Plus, none of the factory Glock shooters have adopted them, strange to see a factory team not endorsing the supposed "new and improved" product when publicly representing the company in any sport...

Edited by ck1

Plus, none of the factory Glock shooters have adopted them, strange to see a factory team not endorsing the supposed "new and improved" product when publicly representing the company in any sport...

The factory shooters primary guns are the G34 and the G35.

The G4 G35 recently became available and the G4 G34 has not been released yet.

• 2 weeks later...

A ) Do you have smaller than average or larger than average hands?

B ) If you want a 9mm, are you open to replacing the recoil spring assembly?

C ) Do you want a .40?

If you answered yes to A and either B or C, Then a Gen4 may be better for you, otherwise I'd go with a Gen3.

I answered yes to A and B. So I bought a Gen4, and at the same time I ordered a Jager RSA. Luckily my Gen4 didn't need it. The only issues I had were with the new extractor, which now exist on Gen3 and Gen4. I replaced mine with a LWD part when it started to act up and have not had any problems since.

Nicely put.This is the most logical answer that I have seen in regards to the gen 3 vs gen 4 saga...

I honestly don't get it. I hear about all kinds of problems with the Gen 4's and I know that most aren't making stuff up. But, I have a gen 4 17 and 35 that have been flawless-they run no matter what I do, all parts are interchangeable except the trigger housing, I have gen 3 trigger kits in both that run perfectly and feel as good as when they were in gen 3 guns. I did change the recoil spring assembly in the 35 to run minor, altho it ran fine with the stock springs. I do really like the smaller grip and it does have a much better texture. I am also in a position to view a great many stock gen 4s at work (RO at major metro PD)and they are also working well. Practice ammo there is blazer 124 grn which must be hot enuf to avoid spring problems? +p duty stuff is also obviously hot enuf. Short story-I have had good luck with the gen 4's. Strangely enuf I use a lone wolf 9mm conversion barrel for practice that did not work at all well in the gen 3 35 that I had, but runs very well in the gen 4.