Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

life of a gun

gunner40sw

Thinking about buying a used open gun to try and I would like to know about the round count of a gun. Just how many roun

nds can you put through an open gun before it starts to loosen up or begin to wear out. I know there is no definate number but if you see a gun that has a round count of 7000 is that high or low or what.

7,000 is pretty low, that's just about when you're got a load developed and a new gun starts feeling "right".

My first SV gun I bought used with a reported 25,000 rounds through it. It shot fantastic and I put another 15-20 through it before changing the barrel to a 9mm. Shot another 20,000 before the original owner wanted it back.

A local guy with lots of time and the money to enjoy would shoot about 10,000 rounds a month. One of his guns had 80,000 rounds through it before it needed a re-barrel. I know he kept shooting it but I have not seen him in a while so I don't know how many it has now.

If the gun is well maintained it will going many thousands of rounds before it is no longer repairable.

• 3 weeks later...

You are getting close to the number of rounds that you'd

want to maintain the gun by replacing springs etc, but

the gun is still "new".

Jack

+1 it depend how you take care of it....

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

S_I frames are built. A good slide, lets say SVI, yes there are other but SVI slides are very good. Even changing out a barrel or trigger group is not uncommon, it should last a very long, long time.

BTW with the SVI slides and interchangable breeface! Should last forever.

thanks