Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Jeep Grand Cherokee

bberkley

Back in 2000 I purchased a new Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo with a V8, leather, towing package, heated seats, pretty much all the bells and whistles. I had been searching for a comfortable vehicle that didn't require me to slouch in the front seat because of my height. I test drove numerous vehicles, and picked the Jeep. I knew then that Jeep doesn't exactly have a stellar record as far as reliablility goes, Consumer Reports ranks them as one of the worst vehicles. I knew the 99's had issues with the differential, which was corrected.

I had a couple of small warranty-covered problems, a leaking shock absorber, and some trim fasteners in the first year. By 19K miles, the front brakes needed new pads and the rotors turned. A few thousand miles later, the same shock position developed a leak, and was replaced. By 33K miles, the rotors again needed turning. I started looking into aftermarket rotors and calipers as I felt that once the warranty expired, I would need to replace them again. The center shift console fiberoptics burnt out, and that part was replaced under warranty.

By 44K miles, the brakes were toast for a 3rd time, the warranty had expired, and the same shock position had developed a leak.

DaimlerChrysler had a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) related to replacing the front calipers and rotors and pads which my dealer performed under warranty (parts), but I had to pay labor. I had both front shocks replaced with aftermarket units.

The past 14 months have seen a number of new issues beginning with the shift-linkage coming disconnected stranding me and the very pregnant wife and our son in a parking lot about a week before her due date. Lucky for me a Jeep dealer was across the street. I believe that the shift-linkage problem was related to the shift console warranty repair, but I had no means to prove that was the cause. In November of 2003, the driver's side rear door actuator failed leaving the door stuck in the locked position with no means to open the door. This was a tremendous inconvenience, as those with infants can appreciate. This was a $200 repair job (parts & labor) as the vehicle was 17K miles past warranty coverage. In February of this year, the passenger side rear door actuator failed. The driver's side rear-view mirror is stripped (and I have no idea how that happened). The hood support struts need to be replaced (the hood has been up maybe 20 times total since I purchased the vehicle, every 3K miles I change the oil). Just this past week, the driver's seat frame broke at the mounting point where the seat attaches to the seat adjustment rails. Last night my father-in-law and I pulled the whole seat out, and welded up the splits in the stamped sheet metal the frame is made out of, and welded a fender washer in place to repair the mounting hole.

I've called DaimlerChrysler, mostly to reassure them of my utter disappointment in the quality of their product, and to empahisize that I would never purchase another one of their products again, nor would I recommend them to anyone I knew looking for a new (or used) vehicle. :angry:

I'm gonna get rid of this lemon as soon as economically possible and get a Honda Pilot.

Anyone want to buy a Jeep? :D

The whole time I was reading your article I thought "I'm gonna tell this guy to get a Pilot", guess I don't have to. We have one with 15K on it or so, no problems so far, just like every other Honda I've owned.

Grand Cherokees have been crap since their inception. Sorry to hear that yours has been especially crappy. Jeeps arn't the only one that chew up the front brakes very fast. Ford Escape and Focus are know for it as well, however the brake lining is so agressive that it will wear down the rotor below its minimum thickness requireing it to be repaced as well. Customers have a hard time forking out 600 bucks for a front brake job at 15k miles.

Before you go with the Pillot. I would recommend test drive the Ford Explorer with the 4.6 v8. It has some serious power.

And whatever vheicle you choose, if you plan to keep it well past the manufactures warrenty, It is a very wise idea to purchase the manufactures extended warrenty. Aftermarket warrentys usualy have less coverage and you may have difficultys getting claims paid.

My '00 Gr Cherokee had the brakes but lots of vehicles do now due to mfgs trying to squeeze penies. I dont think we had any other major problems. Our current '02 has the HO version of the 4.7 and its been totally trouble free. My new 04 Hemi ram 4x4 already has 14K and needs to have the drivers door adjusted for a minor rattle and wind noise I think when I can get it in to the dealer. The '00 Cherokee I traded in on that had about 115K on it and did have a AC repair once. Overall thats a pretty good record. Ferd, chebby and Chrysler, you can find someone who hates each and loves each.

People here will hate this....

My '93 Subaru Wagon has over 195K. Still doesn't burn oil. Still gets 27 MPG.

Total repair bill in the decade I've owned it:

Two brake jobs at $250 ea.

CV Joints at $350 a pair.

One power steering pump - but that was damaged in an accident so it doesn't really count, but if it did: $450.

So, about $100 /year in fixes plus tires gas and oil. I have never taken the car to a dealer for anything. (I honestly think they sabotage your car to keep you coming back. I don't trust car mechanics. Sorry Brian. :P)

Before anybody whines about my driving a Japanese car, mine was made in Tenessee.

Best part: I don't get tickets. There's just no glory in pulling over a plain-vanilla station wagon.

My 1999 GMC Sierra Z71 has 208K. Original brakes, exhaust, belts and hoses. I gave it new plugs at 100K and replaced a U joint and oxygen sensor. Other than a gazzilion oil changes and 3 sets of tires, that is it. I have a 150 mile 5 day a week commute.

I've called DaimlerChrysler, mostly to reassure them of my utter disappointment in the quality of their product, and to empahisize that I would never purchase another one of their products again, nor would I recommend them to anyone I knew looking for a new (or used) vehicle. :angry:

I'm gonna get rid of this lemon as soon as economically possible and get a Honda Pilot.

Anyone want to buy a Jeep? :D

That's a bummer!

I have a 1999 Jeep Wrangler that's been great and a lot of off road fun. I really only drive it on the weekends though. The Wrangler is not a good every day type of car.

I bought a new Toyota pickup in 1988 when I ETS'ed from the Army. I put almost 100K miles on it with very few problems, and none that were warranty-related. Fuel filter, tires, oil changes, spark plugs, thats about it. I had an old Subaru wagon in college that had 200K miles on it when I got it, and I put another 35K on it without incident. That Subaru had electric windows, door locks, etc. that were original to the vehicle.

What really made me mad about this was response from DaimlerChrysler's Customer Assistance:

1) First contact "I apologize that you are not satisfied with your vehicle"

2) Second contact "How many miles are on the vehicle? Did you purchase an extended warranty? I'm sorry, the corporation isn't going to pay for repairs to your vehicle"

Is it an unreasonable expectation that major components, i.e. the seat frame, not split and break? One of my engineer friends looked at it and first thing out of his mouth was "designed failure".

Jeep makes about $8K per Grand Cherokee sold. I'm sure they can survive without me being a customer, but it sure pisses me off to feel that I have wasted a large chunk of money on something with designed obsolescence.

if you want me to write a letter to the president of the German parent company in German, let me know. Helped in my case (trouble with Audi USA, wrote to Ingolstadt explaining that I grew up a few mi from their factory, always drove Audis, and how uttely crappy the service and repair workmanship of their US branch is...)

--Detlef

Detlef, thanks! But, from what I've gleaned on the 'net, DaimlerChrysler doesn't care one bit. It would probably be a waste of our time to collaborate on a letter in German to the head of DaimlerChrysler.

I'm inclined to do what TheOtherErik suggested when I get a new vehicle, and purchase an extended warranty if I plan on keeping it longer than the factory warranty period. I've got a friend that works in dealer financing for Toyota/Lexus who keeps giving me grief about my whining about the Jeep, telling me to get a Toyota. The spouse is supportive of a new vehicle, as long as its a Honda Pilot.

I wouldn't mind a new Expedition, but I don't think it will fit in the garage and leave me enough room to work at the reloading bench.

Dodge and Chrysler, wouldn't be caught dead in either. I have driven Chevy trucks for the last 14 years. Little to no problems with the first for 10 years and 150k. Second was w/o problem but traded for an extended cab. 2 yrs and 32000 with no problems with my 2002 Sivlerado. :D TXAG

One piece of free advice:

If you're going to buy a car of any type, buy the economy model, or the upgraded version (same engine & powertrain) of the economy model they sell a gazillion of. I guarantee you that when ever a manuf. has a systemic problem with something, they're going to fix the highest volume, lowest margin problem first. I've owned two "luxury" model cars and I'll be damned if I ever buy one again. They're a loser deal every time.

bberkley,

Your experience with the Jeep Grand Cherokee mirror the experience of everyone I've ever known who has had theirs for any length of time: they're total crap. Sorry you got burned.

People here will hate this....

My '93 Subaru Wagon has over 195K. Still doesn't burn oil. Still gets 27 MPG.

Total repair bill in the decade I've owned it:

Two brake jobs at $250 ea.

CV Joints at $350 a pair.

One power steering pump - but that was damaged in an accident so it doesn't really count, but if it did: $450.

So, about $100 /year in fixes plus tires gas and oil. I have never taken the car to a dealer for anything. (I honestly think they sabotage your car to keep you coming back. I don't trust car mechanics. Sorry Brian. :P)

Before anybody whines about my driving a Japanese car, mine was made in Tenessee.

Best part: I don't get tickets. There's just no glory in pulling over a plain-vanilla station wagon.

Uhh Dude, if its a Subaru Legacy it was made in Lafayette Indiana. Trust me I used to work in the plant where it was made. They have been known to have problems as well but still a reliable ride. Most knock is the body will rust away while the eng/tranns lasts. Just not big enough for me.

Funny thing is the factory employee parking lot where they are made is full of Dodge Rams and other cars. Subaru didnt give squat to the emps in the way of price break to buy one. Even after 10 years when I quit the ratio was at best 20 to 1 in parking lot. Makes you wonder doesnt it?

Coming soon to a dealer near you, an all new Gr Cherokee with a 5.7 Hemi, and the WA580 trans, the trans is a proven and bullet proof Mercedes design currently used in things from small cars to delivery trucks.

Also on tap is another and bigger Hemi, the 6.1 which will probably go in the truck line for starters. Leaving the current 5.7 for the other aps.

The way the Hemi makes my 5 thousand pound Ram move its got to be awsome in a much lighter package like the GR Cherokee.

advertisement

ANOTHER DEFECTIVE CHRYSLER PRODUCT

1987 Dodge Ram 4WD pickup, bought new July of 1986.

New, getting 9 1/2 miles per gallon (318 v8)

At two weeks old....Paint came off area surrounding the headlights.

At four weeks..........Noticed vehicle "wandered" while driving. Slack in the joint caused me to have to turn the steering wheel almost 1/2 turn before it would engage. Still does it to a large extent though I've got it doing better. Chrome coming off the grill.

At three months.....Paint stripping from the sides of the truck.

At five months....(December) Windshield wipers went out while on the highway driving in a snowfall.

At eight months.....Tires have no tread (9000 miles), something about the size of the "ball" unit being the wrong size, front wheels looked like a "V" when viewed from the front. Never acknowledged by Chrysler or repaired.

At one year...........Paint coming off the tailgate. Tailgate latch replaced the second time. *Mileage down to 8 mpg

At two years..........Radiator had to be replaced. Driver's door now has shims holding it in place. More paint peeling.

Also in second year....Air conditioner compressor went out, a.c. replacement went out two years later, never got it to work right again. Also the front shocks went out.

At four years....Windshield cracked across the top when I hit a bump.

At twelve years......Motor blew. $2500

At fourteen years....Both outside mirrors flopping around. Rearview mirror fell off long ago.

At fourteen years....Transmission blew. $1500

Last year....Heater core replaced.

Other stuff too numerous to mention.

Seat covers worn thru since around the sixth or seventh year.

Now the fun part--In addition to the alleged "warranty", I purchased a $500 extended warranty at the time of purchase.

NO PROBLEM I EVER HAD was repaired by the dealership under either warranty.

Yes, I still have the truck for doing what trucks are for. However, it is no longer the product built by those bums. Everything about it that matters has been replaced at least once.

But man is it great for getting into and out of muddy places. Just can't stick it.

P.S.

I service all vehicles every 3000 miles and always have. First oil change at 1000 miles. After the second oil change I use either Mobil 1 or Red Line Oil, and K&N oil and air filters.

P.P.S.

Had a big sign made "ANOTHER DEFECTIVE CHRYSLER PRODUCT FROM **** CHRYSLER-JEEP". Hung it on the grill (truck on highway frontage) when not in use. Wife made me take it down after a week. Dealer not still in car biz.

Grand Cherokees have been crap since their inception. Sorry to hear that yours has been especially crappy. Jeeps arn't the only one that chew up the front brakes very fast. Ford Escape and Focus are know for it as well, however the brake lining is so agressive that it will wear down the rotor below its minimum thickness requireing it to be repaced as well. Customers have a hard time forking out 600 bucks for a front brake job at 15k miles.

Before you go with the Pillot. I would recommend test drive the Ford Explorer with the 4.6 v8. It has some serious power.

And whatever vheicle you choose, if you plan to keep it well past the manufactures warrenty, It is a very wise idea to purchase the manufactures extended warrenty. Aftermarket warrentys usualy have less coverage and you may have difficultys getting claims paid.

I'll second this. Been driving Explorers for awhile, and I was seriously trying to get into something different, but ended up in an 04 Explorer XLT Sport with the V8, towing package, offroad package, etc. Other than seeing 8 zillion Explorers on the road every day, I love this ride! :wub:

I wouldn't mind a new Expedition, but I don't think it will fit in the garage and leave me enough room to work at the reloading bench.

This is actually what I wanted to get into, but 1) it was going to be tight in the garage; 2) I had no use for the third row seat, and even though it folds down, I didn't want to pay for it; and 3) I just could not justify spending the extra cash. ;)

As for Chrysler crap, I made the same decision..... never again! In a nutshell, the very first new car I bought was a Chrysler. It was in and out of the shop almost monthly with all kind of different problems. :angry: One of the problems was with the A/C compressor, which went out two different times under warranty. The second time it went out, the ride was in the shop for THREE days, and the only reason I got it out on the third day was probably because they were tired of hearing me bitchin'. Well, I go in to pick it up, and of course, the dealer apologies profusely for the delay, but says that they did help me out because instead of rebuilding the compressor, they just put on a NEW compressor because of all the difficulties I had had. However, then he explains the warranty paperwork, and shows me that even though they put on a new compressor, they wrote up the warranty paperwork to show that they had 'rebuilt' it so that Chrysler would pay under warranty. I figured.... about time they did something for ME! Anyway, not too long after the warranty went out, I had more compressor problems so I took it back to the dealer. After looking at it they called and told me, 'I'm sorry Mr. Hanna, this problem was caused by whomever serviced your A/C last time. Apparently, they did not have the correct parts on hand, and they put a TRUCK compressor on your car. I would suggest you return it to the repair shop that actually did the work'. Of course, I told them that THEY were the people that did that work! To which they responded with 'we pulled your repair file and we did not replace the compressor. We rebuilt it (which of course was what the repair invoice said).

Lying, cheatin' bastards. The car was a piece of sh*t and I finally decided that since I was pretty much making a car payment every month in the repair bills, I might as well go buy a new ride and get rid of the aggravation. There will NEVER be a Chrysler product in my family again...... :angry::angry::angry:

OK...how long before all you guys driving a Chrysler/Dodge/Dimeler(sp?) anything figure out that they make crap. Why do you think you can get there 4-door truck for 5-6 thousand less(or more in some cases) than a GM/Chevy truck. Think it is because Dodge has figured out a cheaper way to produce vehicles? No, they use cheap crap. They may make an engine that will run forever, but the vehicle will fall apart around it. All the little gadgets will fall off or quick working. Yes, I drive a Chevy. Why, cause I have had nothing but good luck with them. They are more expensive, but worth every penny to me. Something about you get what you pay for comes to mind. Cheaper isn't better. My brother drives a Dodge diesel. He loves it. It has been long out of warranty and cost him plenty to keep on the road. The engine(block) is still OK, but that is about it. Rear end, wiper motor, power window motors, door hinges sagging, paint... and on and on and on. And don't get me started on the Jeep line. Trail rated? WTH is that all about? I am not a Ford fan. Had to work on ex-girl friend's old truck to much. Ford is still way ahead of D/C in quality of product. When I look at a new truck it will be a Chevy or a Toyota. :P NO DODGE ANYTHING EVER. (getting off of soap box now.)

Happy driving....TXAG