Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to Use to Clean a Glock Barrel?

bodene 5

I shoot jacketed and moly.

I use a dry bore brush on my Glock OEM barrels these days. I used to use various and sundry solvents and pastes and even the electrolytic solutions. No time now, and, as best I can tell, no need.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i shoot mg 147 cmj and mg 124 cmj through it, fairly new piece you know how that goes trying to keep it in good shape and all was just wondering what you guys thought. i tell ya ,have never seen a forum with so much info its frickin awsome.

I also shoot MG 147 cmj's and clean my 34 about once a month. Well, maybe once every 2 months, depending if I have a major coming up or not. Hoppes #9 works just fine.

I am traveling for work right now and I don't have any of my cleaning stuff with me, so I just pulled 200' of climbing rope, with the first foot or so soaked with WD-40, through my G19 today. Why 200'? I didn't want to cut it. Why ruin good cordage? ;)

Edited by sirveyr

If your girlfried calls or your barrel is not stainless steel, and you go over on the time the inside of your barrel will look like the peeling on a GrapeFruit, lots of divits aka big holes. I have a CZ barrel on my bench that got etched with this mixture, and I had to replace it. Nature called at the wrong time. :blink:

If you are shooting jacketed Schumann method clean it by shooting new clean bullets thru it. If you are using Lead or Moly, then wrap a piece of copper chore boy around a bore brush and it will cut the crud right out.

This is why ^^^^^

Bullets!

50% Hydrogen peroxide/50% Vinegar. Let it soak no more than 15 minutes; Brush, rinse, WD/40 it, and put it back in the gun. Will look like it was just machined.

This ^^^

Never touches my guns.

Hydrogen peroxide is bad juju and will jack up stainless too. It just takes longer. Same goes for ammonia too.

Hoppes, CLP and Ballistol will remove everything that needs removing. I will occasionally use some Kroil and JB bore paste on my bolt guns and milsurp rifles, but not often.

Edited by Shadowrider

cmon serious just air no hoppes or anything? i am a freak about cleaning my firearms after a day at the range thats just me though.thanks man

Yeah, seriously. I shoot jacketed bullets, not lead (which might make a difference).

I have 10's and 10's of thousands of rounds through my Glocks.

When I did used to clean them, I used Kroil...and let it penetrate.

My usual routine...on my way out the door to a match... is to run a bore-snake through the barrel a few times to make sure a spider hasn't taken up home in my barrel. Then, add a drop of oil to the connector and roll out the door.

Once or twice a year, I might break the gun down and get the built up crud out. One thing to look for is the hard carbon fouling that builds up around the barrel hood and the extractor. An exacto knife works well to get that fouling free. (It is hard to see...and easy to miss).

Be sure not to leave ANY oil in the striker channel. It does more harm than good. The striker channel needs to run dry.

I see you are in Mt. V. I was there just two weekends ago...swapping Glock parts with a buddy there (mscott is his forum name). Are you going to try to make the Circleville match next Saturday? (Rayner's, Briar Rabbit?)

cmon serious just air no hoppes or anything? i am a freak about cleaning my firearms after a day at the range thats just me though.thanks man

Yeah, seriously. I shoot jacketed bullets, not lead (which might make a difference).

My usual routine...on my way out the door to a match... is to run a bore-snake through the barrel a few times to make sure a spider hasn't taken up home in my barrel. Then, add a drop of oil to the connector and roll out the door.

Once or twice a year, I might break the gun down and get the built up crud out. One thing to look for is the hard carbon fouling that builds up around the barrel hood and the extractor. An exacto knife works well to get that fouling free. (It is hard to see...and easy to miss).

Be sure not to leave ANY oil in the striker channel. It does more harm than good. The striker channel needs to run dry.

I see you are in Mt. V. I was there just two weekends ago...swapping Glock parts with a buddy there (mscott is his forum name). Are you going to try to make the Circleville match next Saturday? (Rayner's, Briar Rabbit?)

yes i know mike he was good friends with my uncle until he passed he has my uncle,s reloading press he wanted mike to have it . i spoke to mike on the phone when i was starting to reload for some advice .as far as the match i would love to go but dont feel i am quite ready yet . mike asked me to go sometome . small world eh

Edited by bodene 5

sorry for the 2 blank post wasnt sure how to reply til i figured it out duh. just found a good shooting load for the 19 that i need to tweak but might entertain the thought of going sat to circleville my buddy goes every sat he is decent at those matches but he has an m and p. how will i be able to pick you out if i go flexmoney? thanks

Edited by bodene 5

I do not shoot lead bullets, only jacketed bullets, so I do not clean the bore as there is no need.

When I do clean my glocks, which is pretty rare, they will be filthy due to massive round counts since previous cleaning. I completely take them down and clean the carbon buildup and brass shavings from the extractor recess, firing pin channel, and then clean all the carbon buildup from the frame and trigger assembly. Then reassemble, and give all external metal parts a quick wipe with CLP, adding a drop of CLP (or dab of grease if militec is handy) to each of the four frame rails.

The reason I buy a glock is so that I dont have to clean it!

But I bet you clean that "other" pistol, right Scott???

Aside from a general wiping of surfaces that have/had a lot of build up on them, I don't clean mine much either. An occasional patch down the barrel, doesn't really need a whole lot more.

Some old habits die hard! I still clean the barrels of my Glocks and other firearms after every outing, but I really don't have a favorite for cleaning. I use Ballistol quite a bit, but it seems to me that CLP actually cleans a little better. I use Hoppes, too, but not real crazy about it.

I shoot mostly Jacketed and Plated bullets. I use Hoppes for the gun...Montana Xtreme Copper Killer for the barrel. The Copper Killer is potent stuff!! caught a whiff of it the first time i opened the jar...darn near singed all my nose hair off and thought I scarred my sinuses!! LOL...works great though...soak the barrel for about 5 min's, run a bore brush down it and patches...good to go...SPOTLESS when done and very easy....

Hoppe's #9. About once a month I run a wet patch through the bore, leave it for 5 minutes, run a brush about 5 five times, another wet patch, followed by a dry patch.

Is it needed? Probably not.

SAME! I have even used a stainless brush on my 45 barrel, not adverse affect on accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...