Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New SketchUp problem, "file locked by another user"

ArmdCtzn

Just when I thought I was starting to understand SketchUp, I get this "file is locked by another user" and I can only open

things as read-only. Huh? What have I done?

I have actually used SketchUp for the last few match descriptions and people really like the drawings.

Any clue what I did wrong now?

Can you send me the SKP file? email to me via profile and I'll take a look. I never came across this before...wondering if the file was not shared correctly...or was it one of your own files/drawing that mysteriously locked. :ph34r:

I also discovered by trial and error...if you have sketchup file open already and it's hidden or minimized and you try to open the same file again at the same time by double clicking on it, you will get the "locked by another user" error. Error msg is a little misleading.

I also discovered by trial and error...if you have sketchup file open already and it's hidden or minimized and you try to open the same file again at the same time by double clicking on it, you will get the "locked by another user" error. Error msg is a little misleading.

The same happens for me. I usually have it minimized and forget about it. It won't let me re open the same file.

It has something to do with my laptop computer. On the desktop computer at work everything worked fine today.

I think the problem is that I have SketchUp on an external hard drive, but when I go to open SketchUp now it is

opening from my C drive on my laptop and giving me that file locked message every time. Aargh.

It isn't just one particular file either, it happens no matter what I try to open in SketchUp.

It has something to do with my laptop computer. On the desktop computer at work everything worked fine today.

I think the problem is that I have SketchUp on an external hard drive, but when I go to open SketchUp now it is

opening from my C drive on my laptop and giving me that file locked message every time. Aargh.

It isn't just one particular file either, it happens no matter what I try to open in SketchUp.

Is it your Sketchup diagram that is saved on the external hard drive, or is it the Sketchup program?

Also what anti-virus program are you using? Some of them are "slow" and written incorrectly and so they tend to keep the file locked.