Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Sevigny Sights

dagger10k

I have sevigny sights on my Glocks and I love that sight picture.

When I got my SVI limited gun, it came with a .125" fiber optic front sight in a standard Bomar rear.

I didn't like it so much, but figured I'd give it a try. I tried it for one match and what do you know, I hated it.

So now I am trying to replicate the same sight picture I know and love, which is a .115" serrated ramp front sight in a .15" rear notch.

I have a Bomar rear cut and a Novak front cut. I picked up the 1911 sevigny front, which is .175" in height. I want to match it with this rear sight, cut to .15" width.

Does anyone have any feeling as to whether that will work or not? .175" seems a bit short...

I have a round-top slide, and the owner of Harrison custom indicated that a .175" might be in the right ballpark. Does anyone have this rear sight, or the sevigny rear?

I am going to try seeing where my gun hits tomorrow with the sevigny front sight and my Bomar adjusted all the way down, which should be approximately the same...

I shot a friends gun with them installed and they were great. He has both the Sevigny front and rear, it's a .45 and they seemed to hit just about an inch or so above the top of the front blade, he said the POI varied from exactly the top of the front blade to maybe 2" above (slight 6 o'clock hold) depending on what gr/pf load he was using.

+1 what carlosa said - was facing same thing when I switched from Production to L10 and a totally different pistol. After about my 3rd match, it was no problem at all - your eyes/brain will make the adjustment, you just have to give it more than a match. I also switched the front from red to green and that has also made things easier. Human eye picks up green faster than red.

Give it a shot...er, no pun intended... :cheers:

I have a heine fixed rear sight and it looks a lot like my Glock Sevigny sights. I like the deeper notch of the Sevignys and the shallow notch on the Bomar sights. Warren should make some Sevigny 1911/2011 sights; it would make switching between guns a bit more seamless.

I did consider opening up the Bomar. My dad actually has a mill that I could use as well, but I can't really cut the notch any deeper, which will result in a rather shallow sight picture, not the "hotdog in a hallway" (well put) I am looking for. I should probably ask Tripp how deep he can cut the notch on his rear sight as well. I'll email and ask!

I'll run the Bomar rear for a little bit longer probably, with a .09" flat black dawson front sight.

Sorry Carlos, but the fiber is not for me. Didn't take long to figure that one out.

I did consider opening up the Bomar. My dad actually has a mill that I could use as well, but I can't really cut the notch any deeper, which will result in a rather shallow sight picture, not the "hotdog in a hallway" (well put) I am looking for. I should probably ask Tripp how deep he can cut the notch on his rear sight as well. I'll email and ask!

I'll run the Bomar rear for a little bit longer probably, with a .09" flat black dawson front sight.

Sorry Carlos, but the fiber is not for me. Didn't take long to figure that one out.

Right on Dood, did you try a sharpie?

Sounds like we have similar opinions on sights , personally I hate the Bo-Mar rears and think their sight picture plain sucks, I also do not shoot well with FO fronts and much prefer an all-black serrated front blade.

In the past I have found it possible to adapt to running a Bo-Mar by using a .090"W front, it's not horrible and works well once you adjust, but yeah, the notch is shallow and the lightbars around the front could stand to be bigger. If I was to do it again with a sock Bo-Mar rear I'd call Dawson and have them make me a crazy thin .080" front sight to get the same ratio as the Sevigny sights just in a smaller overall window. I actually do this now on my CZ Shadow by running a .090"W front with the Shadow's .125"W notched rear, it actually works great for me and I love the sight picture even with the smaller "window" do to the narrower .125" notch (vs. a .150" notch), but the Shadow's rear notch is deep like a Sevigny's is (nearly twice as deep as a Bo-Mar's), with the front-width-to-rear-notch-width ratio the same, after a while your eyes get used to it and they become just as fast as the wider pictured one's... in fact in my case it may be helpful as longer distance shots were always my Achilles heel and I've noticed lots of improvement, but maintaining the same "magic" ratio as the .115"/.150" pattern seems to be the key.

Another route is: Dawson makes a $70 Bo-Mar-Style rear sight with a .130" rear notch (not sure if it's notch is any deeper though), paired with a .095"W front that would get you to the same ratio...

That said, I think you're already on the right path choosing a Harrison Custom rear, even if you just got a stock one and used a .100"W front, as it offers not only a wider notch but the deepest notch too of rear sights out there that'll work on a Bo-Mar-cut gun (plus, adjustable rears break, I just prefer fixed rears), but even if he cuts one to a .150"W notch for you, you'll probably need to shoot it with whatever front you've already got to make the right guess as to what height front you'll need to get it to hit exactly as you want unless you get lucky and that .175"T sight is it.

Edited by ck1

A .125" front with a Bomar rear is garbage for anything but Bullseye. Don't waste one match on shooting that crap if you have a mind to change it, which it sounds like you do.

Tripp will happily sell you a .150" (or whatever you want) K-1 rear, and Dawson makes a .110" front, which would get you pretty close.

I recently got a Limited gun that came with a .110" Dawson front and ~.110" Champion rear, which I immediately hated. Swapped in a .100" Dawson front and .140" Tripp rear, and now I have a usable sight picture that I'm pretty happy with.

Alrighty, so with the bomar cranked all the way down, the sevigny front hits 3-4" LOW at 25 yards. That means it's likely no good with the Harrison rear.

I'm gonna run a few matches with the dawson .09" front sight in the bomar rear, and if I don't like it, I'll see if Tripp can cut the rear notch to .15" by .12" It's not clear from the pictures that the notch could be cut that deep.

If you're hitting high you might be better off than hitting low if you still want to go with the Harrison sight, you could shoot it then file down your front blade until POI is where you want, then just hit it with cold blue or bluing pen.

You might end up liking the smaller "window" of the Bo-Mar though, even being shallow, as long as the front seems thin enough to your eyes with enough daylight on each side...

Good luck.

Edited by ck1

I don't like filing down the front sights on my guns. They never end up being perfectly flat on top, and it drives me nuts. (I am aware that this is because I am doing it wrong)

I'll go with the Tripp if the Bomar is not to my liking.

• 5 months later...

Well, I ended up doing the Harrison custom rear (.135" rear notch) after my rear sight BROKE at Area 2 with a .09" width Dawson serrated front sight. The light bars are pretty wide... I'll have to shoot a match with them to really see how I like this set up.

Well, I ended up doing the Harrison custom rear (.135" rear notch) after my rear sight BROKE at Area 2 with a .09" width Dawson serrated front sight. The light bars are pretty wide... I'll have to shoot a match with them to really see how I like this set up.

Good luck homie,

I hope they work well for you :)

• 1 month later...

Did you ever work this out?

I have been shooting my new to me STI for a few months and I still don't like the sight picture as much as my sevigny set up on my Glock!

I wish Warren/Sevigny would do a fixed Bomar rear. They do the Novak cut already.

I'm currently using a Harrison Custom rear (.135" notch), with a dawson serrated black front (.09") width front sight.

I had to mill the rear sight to fit in my SVI's pocket, and mill the front sight to a bit under .16" to get the sight picture right, but it's working pretty well for me now.